My SL-Razor has arrived...

Yep, makes a civic look like a monster truck!

Ive never been "looked down upon" from a Civic until this car.

Todays project before I have to fly:

So today I installed the windscreen. Its still drying right now, but Ill get finished pics tomorrow. I used 5-minute epoxy that dries clear and bonds to virtually anything. I use it on my RC airplanes (including ones that do 150+mph), so I think it will hold up just fine. Heres a few pics of it while drying to give you an idea what it will look like.

SLRazorwindscreenpics004.jpg

SLRazorwindscreenpics005.jpg

SLRazorwindscreenpics006.jpg

I cant wait for Saturday! Hopefully there will be a good turn out for Cars and Coffee.

Karlo and I took a quick jaunt up to Red Rock Canyon Park (just west of Las Vegas). I took two video clips: first was 10 seconds behind a Prius, and the second was a six minute drive through some of the curves. As soon as I get an account, Ill put up the videos. For the most part, I took it real easy in the park. Im still making sure all the nuts and bolts are solid on it, considering Ive just rolled over 190 miles now. Interesting enough, though, I was driving through the tight corners FASTER than I would on my Supermoto. Is this car quick around the corners? You betcha!

Karlo and I took a few more pics up in the park, so here they are.

013.jpg

007.jpg

011.jpg

Me, at 6'5''
022.jpg

Karlo, at ??? (average height I guess...)
025.jpg

And just for fun...
029.jpg

ENJOY!!!! I know I am...

Cars and Coffee went well today. It was a little chilly out, so not too many people came out. Nonetheless, it was still fun and quite a few interesting cars came out.

As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, a mob of car enthusiasts came
from all directions. I didnt even have my seatbelt off yet and I was swarmed by about 20 people. Questions came from all directions. This car definitely gets a good response. Down below are a few pics from the event. I took pics of my car throughout the two hours I was there. Never once, did the SLRazor sit alone. There was always someone hovering around it at some point.

Poor Ferrari...
CarsandCoffee003.jpg

My car is in there somewhere...
CarsandCoffee013.jpg

Towards the end of C and C...
CarsandCoffee026.jpg

FREE ADVERTS...
CarsandCoffee008.jpg

Until next time... :thumbsup:

"dude...where's my car"....in there somewhere...she looks pretty good in gelcoat ...do you have any plans to paint the car?...

Thanks Justin.

The gelcoat looks good right now. And I plan on throwing another layer or tow of wax on it to see if it gets even better. Prior to the C and C, I put a quick layer of wax on it and it really helped bring out the color. So for now, Im fine with what I have.

The next "big" event planned for my SLR is for May 14th at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch. For those unfamiliar with it, its a relatively new track created recently just outside of Las Vegas (about 40 miles west). The track layout for the event is the 3.4 mile route, which takes around 2:35-2:50 or so for a well driven spec Miata to get around. So it should be interesting to see how I do on the course... Considering that I havent set up the suspension; its on crappy street tires; and Ive been having some slight fueling issues with it, hopefully, things work out well. Im going to have a shop take a look over my work to make sure that everything looks tidy under "the hood".

Pics and HOPEFULLY video coming soon.

Long story short, the car has been sputtering and stuff since day one. I just went through the entire car this morning checking wire connections, fuel lines, sensors, etc and then changed the spark plugs. Im completely clueless now. It lurches and sputters almost uncontrolably (breaking traction a couple times) and if I press the gas anymore than a micrometer while driving, it bucks and lurches horrendously.

Ok.... NOW IM F***ING PISSED!!! Ive kept quiet about "his" (not Fran) work for long enough...

HOW is it that a self-proclaimed GM LNF expert puts together a car that:
-has the wrong threaded lug nuts on the wheels (the guy said Im lucky to be alive... a quarter turn and half of the nuts fell right off)
-speedometer falls off into my lap
-alignment so far off when first delivered its barely driveable-however, tat was blamed on how it was tied down in the trailer... ??????
-engine that idles at 1500-2000 almost costantly
-sputters and lurches, runs like shit, and is almost undriveable at this point
-leaks clutch oil out of the main seal (although claimed that there were no problems whatsoever when they had it...)
-cant find an ebrake for the car (that I found and had shipped to my door within 24 HOURS!!!!!!!)
-Digidash not programmed with anything other than signals and lights
Edited:---
---
---
---
Edited:---

...and all this delivered over ONE YEAR after I placed the initial order!!!!!!!

Looks like Im not going to the track this weekend. I cant take it to the DMV running like this. Its scary on the road considering that the car will just break traction since the sputtering is so violent.

Jesus H Christ... What have I gotten myself into??? I shouldve just got the Viper!!!

So for those of you who want a turn-key SL-Razor that takes more than a year to get and has more problems than I can shake a stick at, then go to Nirvana Motorsport. Call NOW!!!

http://contour.com/stories/sl-razor-at-smmr-14-may-11

or here if that doesnt work...

http://contour.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=SMMR

Long story short...

The suspension needs a lot of adjustment.
The Sumitoma tires are about the worst tires Iver ever ran on... :veryangry: (new tires coming sometime soon)
And about 100+ hours of work (between three of us) to get it "ready" for the track.
Never ran above 220 water temp, or 225 oil temp (always did a good cool down after the sessions...)
The Car ran great the entire time (about 70 minutes of running HARD)

My best lap was a 2:57 which was the second to last lap on the video. I had horrible lines. I couldve knocked off another couple seconds or more if I had better lines. Best time of the day (before I left) was a 2:33 by a Radical (a few of them, actually). A Viper ACR did a 2:36!!! The instructor told me if the car was dialed in both suspension and in the engine, and had sticky tires, it would roll a 2:40. Good times though! :thumbsup:

Just got back from an autocross here in Vegas. Best "lap" time was a 57.XXX. Not too bad for crappy tires, bad suspension angles (still need to go through it), and the brake bias needs to be adjusted. A ZR1 topped out around 58 seconds (completely stock). Most cars with race tires were right around 53-55 seconds.

Latest update...

Just had the alignment done. Im went with a more "agressive" stance, readying the SLR for track days and just all around hooliganism in the mountain roads. And besides, Im not worried about tire wear on a car that weighs in at 1500lbs. The car drives much "straighter" now. I also adjusted the shocks. Now I need new tires (going with Hankook RS-3s; recommended by the local SCCA, so what the heck...) and of course, a proper tune up.

I have over a thousand miles on the car now. When its running good, it screams! And right now, it sounds like Brian Johnson!!!

Im now waiting for the Oregon DMV to send me my new plates, etc. So that could be up to six weeks. :cry:

I plan on doing a couple track days in Sept-Nov in SoCal (Willow Springs, Autoclub Speedway, etc). Hopefully, the car will be ready by then. :thumbsup:

Well...... This is a new problem. I turn on the car and all it wants to do is rev to the limiter. Each time it revs up to the limiter, it drops back down and does it again. If I blip the throttle, then it just pegs outs for about two to three seconds. I don't have a clue what's going on.

All I know is that the map sensor needs to be replaced. Could this be why the car is revving like this????????

Well...... This is a new problem. I turn on the car and all it wants to do is rev to the limiter. Each time it revs up to the limiter, it drops back down and does it again. If I blip the throttle, then it just pegs outs for about two to three seconds. I don't have a clue what's going on.

All I know is that the map sensor needs to be replaced. Could this be why the car is revving like this????????

A faulty MAP sensor will adversely affect fuelling for sure but I've never seen one cause it to rev to the limit. Are you sure there is nothing holding the throttle plate open at all? or even partly? i.e. the throttle is actually closing fully when the pedal is not pressed? IF the motor rev's like mad when the key is turned, without touching/pressing the throttle pedal, then additional air is getting into the motor, whether it be from a stuck open or partially open throttle plate, or even from a badly fitting inlet gasket between the throttle assay and the head... worth a check I would think.

Back