My SL-Razor has arrived...

No more details until the prototype is unveiled....there are plenty of details on this forum already...
I want anyone really interested to see the car first and then just.. "have to have one ....."..then the real production process will start....only if there is enough real interest....just like the OEM's
Otherwise it will go on the back burner and may come back when the timing is better....
The new D type is looking superb and already has pre-orders...so its already a winner.

You will need your Mustang for a while as you will have to take a cross country drive to Michigan...

You're on (if we are allowed viewings) ;)

1500 miles though (3000 miles round trip)..... think I'll fly instead....

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

The car is running at 100%! Or at least VERY close to it. Like I've reported on here before, I checked all the wiring I could for voltage and to make sure there were no kinked or cut wires. After talking to a guy from lnfforums, we concluded that since it's not a vacuum leak, the wires are fine, etc, he said that the most common issue with this engine is the MAP sensor. I unplugged it, took a look at it and inspected it the way he told me to. I plugged it back in and BAM!!!! Runs like a champ.

WHAAAAAT THE HECK DID I DO?????

So while it's running, I decide to fiddle with the connection. It runs like poop. I shut it off, unplug and replug it back in, and fire it up. She runs like a champ. I revved it a few times and it sounds just like the "stand alone lnf air boat" from YouTube. Im thinking, "okay, time for a test drive".

Zero to sixty???? No kidding??? EASY THREE SECONDS!!!!

Once again I topped off in fourth gear and shifted into fifth and it was climbing faster than almost anything I've ever been in.

So there you have it. Now I just need to figure out how to make that connection 100%. It went into limp mode once while testing. But just a simple unplug/replug and it was back to LUDICROUS SPEED (Spaceballs).

Justin,
Was it Chuck that you talk to and help you figure out what the problem was?
He was the guys I was telling you about...Glad you got it running good.
I like to hear that Motor is Bas A&$ because I have the same motor that I'm putting in an OffRoad buggie

This is the photo of the buggie..but in this photo it has the 2.2 Ecotec in it and right now we are putting in the LNF and putting an A-Arm frontend on it.....so she shoud be fun once it is done.

DSC_02511.jpg

That looks like a lot of fun. I talked to a few different people last month. The lnf is running great now.

Speaking of that...

I did another run out to Red Rock Canyon park (a 14 mile one-way loop with lots of elevation change, crazy 180 degree corners, etc). I think it's time to start painting little motorcycles on the side of my car like a WW2 Fighter Plane. Second time I ran through, I followed a guy on a Gixxer 1000 and I stayed with him everywhere but the straights. Not to worry though, I'd catch him in the corners. We met up at the Overlook and the conversation went like this:

"Man!!! That thing is fast."
"Yup. I know."
"Every time I thought I lost you, you were on my ass. Even after a long straight!"
"You know what? These tires are rubbish. If I had track tires on, I'd be going 5-10 mph faster through the corners."
His jaw drops. "Ok. You lead this time."

We went back through and after the first mike or so, I didn't see him in my mirrors again until the end.

For those who are thinking about picking up a Razor, or any RCR/Superlite product, for that matter... DO IT! I thought my BMW HP2 was quick on the twists... I thought my 07 Corvette was quick through the twisties... My SL-Razor is easily 5-10 mph faster than anything I've ever driven (excluding carts).

Honestly??? Probably 225 right now. Just guessing...

The turbo produces 15 pounds of boost when it's running right. It's off and on though about 50/50. I just can't bury the throttle. If I ease in to it, it runs fine. It just needs a tune (working on that right now). These LNFs can blow up to 23 psi with all stock internals, etc. That would be about 300 whp (according cobaltss.com). I'm pretty happy with it right now. ;)

Speaking of that...

I think it's time to start painting little motorcycles on the side of my car like a WW2 Fighter Plane.

LOL!!! That would be totally cool! You must have had the BIGGEST smile on your face :) That's great Justin, you deserve a few smiles after all your struggles with that engine.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Justin, I did a quick scan of the first few pages of the thread, don't recall seeing which engine your SL-R has.

Is it one of the Mitsubishi engines?

Thanks!

Cheers from Doug

Chillin- I'll get a video sooner or later.... There should be a link to one a few pages back in this thread whenever I went to Spring Mountain (SMMR).

Mesa- I have a little smirk on my face anytime I'm driving it. After all the issues, it's finally becoming a really fun car to drive. Better than anything I've owned before!

Doug- The engine is the GM LNF. It is commonly found in the Cobalt SS, Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice, or in my case, the HHR SS. GM is now using it in the upcoming Cadillac ATS (3 Series sized car). It's a great engine. It just isn't meant to be a stand-alone motor.

If I were to do this all over again, I'd use the Mitsubishi 4G63.

Justin, I'm sure you've had plenty of qualified folks trying to help you sort out the LNF woes but I thought I would throw this out there for the heck of it. I had an early 2.2 Eco in a VW Microbus project running the old MEFI-4 system. I sourced my own engine but all my electronics came from TurnKey Engine Supply in Cali. I know that's apples to oranges but they might be a resource to troubleshoot your gremlins. Also, I'm sure you already know this, some of the sand crowd run Ecos. Might be another place to pitch your anomolies and see if anyone has ideas...

I'm a big fan of the Ecos, I went with the TurnKey guys on some R&D to the desert years ago and watched them try to destroy a couple of basically stock engines with huge turbos. Two days at Glamis in June heat and the little Ecos survived. Insane the abuse that engine will take.

Jeff-

track day!

To sum up: I need better tires (duh...), I need front down force, I still need to get the engine tuned (duh again...), and I ran a 2:09:xxx. But the good thing was, when I was accelerating below 5000 rpm, she pulled as faster than anything out there. So I just need to adjust the turbo wastegate timing rod thing to make it work to the 6200 redline.

Oh!!!! BLESS IT!!!!!!

I don't know where the rest of my post went!!!!

Cliff notes:
Lots of people saying my car is an Atom.
Lots of BMWs getting passed by me.
I understeered a lot at higher speeds (need down force bad... And tires)
Watched a BMW M5 shred his rear bearings when he spun into the dirt. ;(
Probably talked to 100+ people EASY today. Fran, you might get some calls...
Talked to two different magazines.
Best lap was a 2:09:1xx. Consistently ran 2:11:xxx or so. EDIT: Last year's best time was a 2:02. Just FYI. See speedventures.com to compare times. I borrowed a friend's timer that was placed near the end of the front straight (not sure if it makes a difference????).

That's about it. Great day today. I'm taking a nap.

Last edited:
Results are up:

Fastest time of the day was a 1:59:009. I was 10 seconds back with standard street tires. I plan to burn them up by the end of the year and then I'll go to something stickier... MUCH stickier!

Hey Justin,
Fun to hear you are having fun! What track was it? LOL on the nap part...just like track days on your motorcycle eh?

Smoke a Beemer for me :thumbsup:

Shark: Sumitoma tires... 225/45x17 front. 245/40x17 rear. They have a wear rating of 400. In other words, they are very hard. Nuff said.

Mesa: It's very similar to a motorcycle track day. Lots of wind through the helmet, and the legs. The track was the Las Vegas classic course (outside of the NASCAR track). Ive run that track many times on my bike.

I plan to use Hankook RS3 tires next. Or maybe pony up for some Hoosiers.

Ohhh.. take the sumo's to the boneyard - that car is too light for a 400 tread wear tire. Personally I wouldn't use the Hoosiers for a "street" tire. For inexpensive tires had the Falken rt615 IIRC - tire spin in 3rd - horrible/dangerous. My tire sizing is limited to 205/50/15's on my "7" clone, but have found that the Toyo R1R's are awesome. Unless I do something stupid with the go pedal these tires actually hold my LS6/1,500lb. car. I have no earthly idea how they do it. Others with light weight/high powered cars have had success with the Toyo R888's. If you do X-cross the R1R's have a tread wear of 140. I also have the Nitto NT-01's (which are in the Toyo family/DNA), but I don't like them... go figure.

The Hankook RS3's have a following along with the the Kumho XS. If you're strictly looking at track tires then Hoosiers or Goodyears.

Your results may vary but I'm a big fan of the Toyo line -- Sharkey

Thanks for the great info! I'm going to look into those other tires you suggested. The RS3s have a huge following here in Vegas. They work great with the heat. When the ambient air temps are hitting 115+, the asphalt is hot enough to melt the soles of your shoes!

Back