New Body Design on a GT40 Replica Chassis

Ron Earp

Admin
I never even saw the images of the "new" design. Looks like photobucket puked, as it always does.

Bear in mind you can upload photos to the forum directly to avoid hosting problems elsewhere.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I never even saw the images of the "new" design. Looks like photobucket puked, as it always does.

Bear in mind you can upload photos to the forum directly to avoid hosting problems elsewhere.

I didn't see them either, they have gone or been deleted from Photo bucket.

Nice to see 670 views and 16 replies....:stunned:, you're not a talkative bunch in here lately......:laugh:

I would have to ask why you feel the need to base it on the GT40 chassis, with the advances made in tires, wheels, brakes since the GT40's inception its no longer the 'ideal' platform for a 'new' design. Im not saying its 'bad', just that the geometry needs a rethink for these modern components.

So if you really wish to make an impression in the automotive world perhaps you need to team up with a chassis/suspension 'Guru' & get the looks plus the handling package with all the 'new' materials available now.

Once again I must state that we have the RCR SL-C. A modern and affordable supercar! But I'm prejudiced because I have one!

So if you really wish to make an impression in the automotive world perhaps you need to team up with a chassis/suspension 'Guru' & get the looks plus the handling package with all the 'new' materials available now.

jac mac, I stated that it was only a fun project as I don't need to make an impression in the automotive world, I already work in it..........I saw these very rough sketches, as an exchange of ideas and opinions with like minded people, who have a passion for Gt40, but maybe could look into alternatives.

The GT40 replica chassis is still a good chassis, that as you state, with some modern suspensions could still make for a very interesting compact sportscar.

I'm better at sketching than writing, that's why I wanted to start a thread to get feedback and ideas........

Anyway, maybe a will post something again in the future.......:)

Last edited:
Once again I must state that we have the RCR SL-C. A modern and affordable supercar! But I'm prejudiced because I have one!

A very nice racing car.......but I'm not that much into GTP/ Le Mans racer type of designs, I do prefer a sportscar that can be driven normally in daily traffic if needed......and not worry that my front splitter is too low and could be damaged or other....but you never know, I could change my mind in the future.

I wouldn't mind reworking a sportscar design on the RCR SL-C chassis though, it sounds like a neat idea.........:)

Last edited:
two very old rough sketches for a speedster version......a retro inspired design......

img866.jpg

img862.jpg

I prefer those to the previous coupe drawings, however they seem reminiscent of many open top cars to me, which I know would be hard to avoid.

Based on some common observations of car Designers work (not just Italo's). There's some common themes that bug me, maybe Italo you can explain why Designers work this way?

1. Wheels are virtually always unrealistically big.
2. There's never enough room left for suspension movement.
3. Glass houses are nearly always squashed to the point of uselessness.

I know these things all make a drawing look good, but does it help with the design? Is it trying to convey something or is it just the fashion of the day?

Ron Earp

Admin
I dunno, to me that car you've drawn has existed for a long time.....a Lola Spyder..jazz up the light box for a more angular rake if you must, change the air intake on the side, pretty much would be it.

reviv03-sun-fv-t70-spyder2.jpg

I prefer those to the previous coupe drawings, however they seem reminiscent of many open top cars to me, which I know would be hard to avoid.

Based on some common observations of car Designers work (not just Italo's). There's some common themes that bug me, maybe Italo you can explain why Designers work this way?

1. Wheels are virtually always unrealistically big.
2. There's never enough room left for suspension movement.
3. Glass houses are nearly always squashed to the point of uselessness.

I know these things all make a drawing look good, but does it help with the design? Is it trying to convey something or is it just the fashion of the day?

The sketches posted are old roughs for a speedster version of a GT40, and not a my new design project........I do like the rear, but it was my take on a Gt40 barchetta, but it's a pretty simple design with a few nice details.....and it's not what I will be working on.

I still like the old sketches myself, and will devolop those further as with design, you have to work in advance a few years, with a design that could be maintream and look good in 2113 and not in 2009.

With reference to your ponts on skecthing technique, you have raised some common points that I've been asked for the last 15-20yrs when the big wheel rendering technique emerged.

History goes that in the late 80's an american student found that increasing the size of the wheels in a sketch or rendering made the image look more dynamic and aggressive, capturing the attention of the final viewer.

Most understand that it's an artistic license taken by a designer to sugar candy a rendering, but it does make for a better sketch if it's going to be only a presentation to the management when competing with other designers in a design center.

It's obvious that the final production version of the rendering will have wheels that fit the wheelarches and have suspension travel, because engineers and bean counters won't let you put 30 to 40in. wheels on your design, due to cost and other reasons, too long to mention........

Mercedes designer have been famous in the design comunity for most of the big wheels renderings, and as this early sketch of the SLK shows.......40 to 45in is the norm........:D

2010-mercedes-benz-slk-cl-5_800x0w.jpg

I dunno, to me that car you've drawn has existed for a long time.....a Lola Spyder..jazz up the light box for a more angular rake if you must, change the air intake on the side, pretty much would be it.

reviv03-sun-fv-t70-spyder2.jpg

Ron

Like i said earlier these sketches are old roughs for a speedster version of an original GT40, and not my new design project........I do like the rear though , but it was my take on a Gt40 barchetta theme,

I have 3 different design proposals, like I always do when I create a new design and if I have the time, I will show a few here in the forum.......:)

If I had to scale the wheels in these MAZDA renderings they would have to be 50 in.........in comparison my wheels in all of my renderings look really small and are more realistic than most.........

mazda-crosswinds-concept-sketch-1.jpg

mazda-crosswinds-concept-sketch-2.jpg

Yeah that Mazda one is the worst, to me its Art but not Design, there could only be the most tenuous connection to something that actually got built (and you could fit in and drive) from that drawing.

So why do they do it?

Back