"new" edition of Spain's book

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
\"new\" edition of Spain\'s book

I bought the "new" edition of Ronnie Spain's book (Complete Race History etc etc) and read through it...am I missing something or is this the same as the old edition? While I have not compared every page, the ones I have looked at are identical. Only the cover is new.
There are a number of factual errors or omissions, most notably to me that car #1054 is owned by Fran Kress and is alive and well in the Midwest, isn't it?
I realize that these cars trade around and that it is impossible to keep up with all their changes of ownership, but if you;re writing the complete history.....well, it ought to be closer to complete, or at least more up-to-date. Be advised that if you have the Osprey edition you have the new one as well, essentially- minus the new cover.
On the bright side, when my car is done, I will have one copy to carry in the car, one for the house. Now that's luxury.

Re: \"new\" edition of Spain\'s book

Just picked up a copy for a buddy's birthday. Had the exact same thought. I thought this would be a real update, not what generally appears to be a copying machine exercise. Nonetheless, my buddy will be ecstatic since he's began the 40 conversion process.

Chuck Ward

Or ISBN: 0-7603-1740-2 for the paperback version, even more of a bargin at around seventeen pounds in the U.K!

I have a copy of the "new" version, and it says J-6 is the LeMans winner. Which presumably means that what it identifies as J-5 is actually J-6 (...by 1972 it had been given by Ford to A. J. Foyt"). It says J-5 "was crashed very badly at the 1981 Monterey historic races in California but has since been completely restored and was out again at Monterey in 1983."

So I guess that means it hasn't been updated, but... What do you know of this crash?

Back