New Ford GT pictures

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Despite Ford's attempt to award these cars to people who will claim to want to actually drive them, I doubt any of us will ever see one driving down the street.

I love the fish photo, Mike.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
A lot of similarities to the V6 FGT. Beautiful lines maybe even prettier than the FGT. It's V6 powerplant has always hamstrung it's desirability. Would you rather have this or an F40?

final-jaguar-xj220-built-up-for-auction_100466628_h.jpg

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
An EV with these lines and performance that exceeds that of it's petrol powered competitors, would cause all modern supercars to be dated overnight.

Ferrari-F80-supercar-concept-rear.jpg

Ferrari-F80-supercar-concept-5.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Dang that looks cool Mike...
You perplex me... Quibble about the sound of a TT-V6 yet seem perfectly happy to accept the turbine like whine of electric motors...
I'm a huge EV fan and have built my own.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All
All this talk of EV's tends to forget/miss a couple of things.
The range between charges and the outrageous cost of a new set of batteries when they fail, which they will.
I am an electronics technician by trade and after 40 years in the business I still have no reliable way of predicting how long a battery or battery pack will last.
Dimi

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There's lots of Teslas running around that seem to be lasting well. They have a range of what 250 miles? Cut the size of the battery pack in half to reduce weight. 125 mile range is plenty for a car like this. The simplicity of EV drivetrain and flat torque curve would flat out be awesome.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
There is good sound, no sound, and then bad sound, in that order...

Then you must place the whine of an EV in the "Good Sound" category as they are not silent...
Myself, I like the sounds of all of them.
The sound of a V8 screaming through 180 headers is a buzz closer to that of a 6 cylinder through normal (?) headers than it is to a V8 through normal (?) headers..
The reason I put the (?) in there is that "normal" is somewhat variable. Dual exhausting headers do not sound the same as dual exhausting headers grouped in firing order as most 180 headers seem to be.
I have only seen/heard one set of 6 cylinder headers that were grouped into a pair of 3 into 1 collectors in firing order and frankly it sounded very similar to the V8 exhaust built the same way..

Lets assume you have a V8 with 180° headers, twin tailpipe and a six cyl twin tailpipe with 240° headers. If the bore & stroke plus all other factors ( head design, rod ratio, header size, induction etc ) are identical then the exh note of the V8 at 6000 rpm should be the same as six cyl at 8000rpm. Or simply 75% of 6 cyl RPM for V8.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jac -- Thanks for taking the time to explain what I have been hearing!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Lets assume you have a V8 with 180° headers, twin tailpipe and a six cyl twin tailpipe with 240° headers. If the bore & stroke plus all other factors ( head design, rod ratio, header size, induction etc ) are identical then the exh note of the V8 at 6000 rpm should be the same as six cyl at 8000rpm. Or simply 75% of 6 cyl RPM for V8.

Actually, no. While the frequency of the exhaust pulses would be the same, the speed of the piston and exhaust gasses would be different and yield a different tone. That was a good theory Jac ;)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I thought the XJ220 market died - not really a whole lot to do with the cars?
As will the FGT market albeit maybe not to the same degree.

The V6 powered FGT comes at a time when many of the "it has to have a V8" generation has died off and been replaced by the Fast and the Furious generation who believe 6 cylinders is the top of the food chain i.e. Supra 2JZ.

The problem is the only people who can afford the FGT are the old timers who other than the members over on the FGT site that sit in a circle pulling on each others wankers, still believe it needs a V8 or nothing at all!

I'll predict now that by 2020, much to the chagrin of the wanker pullers, FGT values will be under MSRP.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
What if GM brings a midengine V8 Vette to market in 2018 for half what they're asking for the V6 FGT?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
What if GM brings a midengine V8 Vette to market in 2018 for half what they're asking for the V6 FGT?

It might sway a couple of buyers, but unless the mid engine Vette is extremely limited production, I doubt that it would matter much..
After all - if you have enough cash laying around to buy the Ford GT, you probably have enough to pick up the Vette for a daily driver... :lipsrsealed:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If you have enough cash laying around for a FGT why would you settle for 6 cyl when for the same money you could have 12?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I can't afford a new GT if it was available to me. On the other hand, I am waiting for GM's new Vette before I purchase anything. That I could swing. I just hope it looks better than the renderings I have seen.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If you have enough cash laying around for a FGT why would you settle for 6 cyl when for the same money you could have 12?

It is a Ford GT. The brand means something to me. Why would I want anything else?

Brian -
Other than the Plymouth Prowler, I have not seen a lot of cars that closely resembled the concept pictures or renderings..

Back