New GT?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"...meaning that the car only stayed in production for two years..."

That was the 'plan' from the beginning...'a 2-year-long, limited production run of 4,500 GTs total - period. Then an issue popped up with the car's "A"-arms...production was stopped...'problem was addressed...production resumed...and Ford stopped production on its originally scheduled "stop" date - as planned - with 4,038 total cars having been made instead of 4,500 (due to the afore mentioned production delay).

As I recall, the scheduled "stop" date had to do with new EPA & NTSB regs that would kick in shortly after that date. The GT couldn't meet those standards given its existing design/physical demensions, etc. Sales/demand/and so on had nothing to do with it.

What price will be on these new GT's and will the release hurt the value of the 2006 GT's? Wish i bought one when they where around 130K.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
This guy never even drove his before he sold it so his theories are dubious at best lol

"...meaning that the car only stayed in production for two years..."

That was the 'plan' from the beginning...'a 2-year-long, limited production run of 4,500 GTs total - period. Then an issue popped up with the car's "A"-arms...production was stopped...'problem was addressed...production resumed...and Ford stopped production on its originally scheduled "stop" date - as planned - with 4,038 total cars having been made instead of 4,500 (due to the afore mentioned production delay).

As I recall, the scheduled "stop" date had to do with new EPA & NTSB regs that would kick in shortly after that date. The GT couldn't meet those standards given its existing design/physical demensions, etc. Sales/demand/and so on had nothing to do with it.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, SHUDDUP, Mikey! :D

(You do know what I just shared IS 100% factual [not "theory"]................right? :smartass:)

I would be nice for a modern Ford GT with V-6 twin Turbo same dimensions of the original to compete with the new Alfa and low cost Porsche. A fun car to drive and a longer production life with a bigger brother in the future. The last Ford GT was suppose to be the direction for Ford with a short life product.

No thanks. V8 or non.
. I would love a V-8 but the market is moving to efficient cars and hybrids. My hope is a sustainable Ford GT program with a longer shelf life. You have two choices a mega Ford GT with over 600HP to compete in that market or 400+HP V-6 with a lite version similar in size to the Alfa 4C with a price list of over $75K. A car that will see the street and promote the product or a collector car sitting in a garage.

Why would you worry about what the 'market' is doing? This car wouldn't be positioned against Mazda sedans. The 5.2 FPC Voodoo was just revealed by Ford, making over 500 NA horsepower...but you want a V6 and turbos? BLEGH! Go buy an Audi! And it's not like the fuel economy gap is massive...I made close to 440 horsepower in my tuned 2012 Mustang and managed low to mid 20's everyday driving.

Keith

Hmmm. Interesting. I'll bet a silver dollar against a wet fag end that Ford will travel down the hybrid route.

McLaren P1 and Porsche 918 are the benchmarks with 1000 combined hp. Both are V8's :)

Mind you, the news item is from the Malay Times - Malaysia being an absolute hot bed of Supercar activity of course... :shifty:

Hmmm. Interesting. I'll bet a silver dollar against a wet fag end that Ford will travel down the hybrid route.

McLaren P1 and Porsche 918 are the benchmarks with 1000 combined hp. Both are V8's :)

Mind you, the news item is from the Malay Times - Malaysia being an absolute hot bed of Supercar activity of course... :shifty:

I would think the 500+ hp GT350 motor would suit the purpose just fine.
Or you could have two models, one with that and one with the supercharged plant from the expected GT500.

Hybrid technology is much more expensive to add to a car per horsepower than NA or supercharged/turbocharged power. Coupled with a weight penalty that never really goes away no matter how exotic your other materials are, and the new need for millions of lines of code to handle those two electric motors you just had to have, and a hybrid supercar looks like a poor sell for a price point under a quarter of a million...and that's with car companies that do this stuff day in and day out, for decades. Seeing as how Ford farmed out development of some of the more challenging performance aspects of the 2005-2006 GT, I would very much doubt a hybrid approach that also (in my mind) so heavily conflicts with the original vision of the car.

If they bring the gt back it would need to have more hp the the shelby so I think it would have to be in the 700 range. It could be cool

Keith

Yes I got that Larry, I meant the split between USA (OK, I'll make it easy for you) and FOREIGN sales.

Hi Keith,

Without digging any books out, all I can remember is there were 101 official FoMoCo imports for the 'European market'.

That was the quantity Ford settled on to have converted (lights, headlamp washers, exhaust etc) & I know plenty of potential buyers were unlucky.

(There's many personally imported ones running around too)

Regards Steve

Why would you worry about what the 'market' is doing? This car wouldn't be positioned against Mazda sedans. The 5.2 FPC Voodoo was just revealed by Ford, making over 500 NA horsepower...but you want a V6 and turbos? BLEGH! Go buy an Audi! And it's not like the fuel economy gap is massive...I made close to 440 horsepower in my tuned 2012 Mustang and managed low to mid 20's everyday driving.

My 07 GT500 is 11MPG if I do not push it in city driving. The Focus which is my daily drive is around 27MPG. I purchased a Escape with 1.6 EcoB. for my daughter and it moves very good but my fuel economy is not that high. Maybe is my daughter heavy foot.

What I am concern is that I would like a sustainable Ford GT project and not a short production 2 year car. I assume the new GT500 will have to beat the Hell Cat in HP and new Ford GT will have to be in that range over 700HP. Specially now with cheap gas for at least a couple of years which is the wrong direction at the long range. Only a few weeks to see what Ford will do. The world is changing like no more manual transmission for Ferrari and all the major manufacturers are making HP Hybrids. Even Ford GT350 will have an automatic gearbox option since Camaro HP cars have that option.

Back