New KOSO gauge

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
FYI - I just saw that KOSO has a new gauge available. It looks much more supercarish than the RX-2N.

https://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/motorcycle-mx/rxf-multifunction-speedometer/

RXF_3-1.jpg

At that price you are close to a Racepak (and others) that have a lot more functionality and are meant for a car. Looks might fit some interiors better though.

Joel K

Supporter
Hey guys, I ordered this gauge through Fran which will come with my kit. I offered to pay the difference in price and Fran was good with that. I liked the look and based on the size it should fit without too much trouble. I also figured it will be compatible with the senders that come with the kit.

There are a bunch of videos on YouTube to see it in action.

You may also want oil pressure and water temperature gauges (not just a number). Might start thinking about what else you want and what will fit in visually with your plan. I didn't put much thought into it and my two individual gauges over the row of switches (in that center portion) ended up looking like a Emoji Face.

Joel K

Supporter
You may also want oil pressure and water temperature gauges (not just a number). Might start thinking about what else you want and what will fit in visually with your plan. I didn't put much thought into it and my two individual gauges over the row of switches (in that center portion) ended up looking like a Emoji Face.

Thanks Frank, I haven’t gotten that far yet, the KOSO can display warning lights for both low oil pressure and high oil temperature. So at the very least I should know when I have a problem.

As far as extra gauges, was thinking to use a tablet in the center stack which could act as a head unit for music and nav and could also bring up ODB2 gauges if necessary. Just haven’t investigated the details yet.

I’m building a street car so if I can get the tablet idea worked out I’ll be happy.

Joel - definitely want a number, not a warning light for water temp and oil temp/pressure. With overheating being one of the primary issues facing mid-engined cars you want to be absolutely sure your engine is healthy. Once that light clicks off you won't know if you've gone too far into the danger zone.

I'm not sure how this might affect the KOSO but at least with the AIM dash you can't read the OBD2 diagnostic port while the dash is active. I believe it has to do with the dash drawing too much current from the CAN signal.

Joel K

Supporter
Thanks for all the advice, I will definitely consider adding the critical gauges.

Having it all work through a tablet would be ideal, but I have a lot of investigating to do. At this point I don’t know if any of the inputs to the KOSO cluster are from the ODBII port, I tend to think not.

If I go with a dedicated gauge cluster, this company has some neat products that are digital graphical which would work with the look I want to achieve. I am just not far enough into this part of my plan to have it figured out but they make single gauges, multiple gauge clusters, and even multiple gauge clusters that work with a head unit so I may explore how all this would get integrated into the car.

http://zada-tech.com/solutions

Stand-alone gauges:
824873BC-C081-49EE-A51E-75692E4EB6E0.jpeg

A5BAFC18-1E28-4711-8292-E65822FE14ED.jpeg

Gauge cluster would look nice in the center stack: they have multiple sizes:
753ED3D1-50BD-42C3-945E-3299122486DA.png

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Wow, wish I'd have found those Zada gauges when I was doing my build. The KOSO doesn't have any CAN or OBDII inputs.

Here's what I did for auxiliary gauges. All are Prosport gauges.
fall7.JPG
fall6.JPG

Joel K

Supporter
It depends on which harness/computer and OBD2 program you're using. I have the GMPP LS7 harness and oil pressure works fine with Torque Pro for Android

Thanks Mark, that is good to know. Due to needing to run full emissions, I plan on using an LT4 with a custom Speartech harness and production PCM. When I get to the point of ordering the harness I’ll discuss what sending units can be picked up via ODBII. But encouraging it works with your combo.

How do you like Torque Pro?

Mark B.

Supporter
Thanks Mark, that is good to know. Due to needing to run full emissions, I plan on using an LT4 with a custom Speartech harness and production PCM. When I get to the point of ordering the harness I’ll discuss what sending units can be picked up via ODBII. But encouraging it works with your combo.

How do you like Torque Pro?
It's pretty good. I'm using it on an 8" Samsung Tab A which I'm planning to mount in the center dash to run gauges. It connects pretty quickly via Bluetooth (about 5-10 seconds). Gauges are pretty easy to configure and there are a bunch of gauge styles, multiple pages, etc.

Here is an example of Torque running in a now old Samsung 7.7 tablet. My ecm/obd II does not output an oil pressure signal. Initially I didn't think the tach signal was fast enough, but with miles under the belt, it is fast enough. The Digi Dash has a tach (with shift light array) speedometer and oil pressure number readout, but you have to choose which to display at any given time on the two available screens. Fuel trim display has been valuable for sorting low speed drive-ability.

P1110339.JPG

PS All the red displays and lights are the same shade of red in person, for some reason they look very different in a photo.

Joel K

Supporter
Mesa, thanks for the pic. I’ve gone through many of the build threads and this one in particular caught my eye on something I wanted to replicate/incorporate. I think it looks great.
EFAB4B89-C223-416A-BF3D-60B62FD87F86.jpeg

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
Here you go guys, first look at the KOSO RXF and how it looks in the driver’s binnacle. Not a great photo but took delivery yesterday and had to see if it would fit. Looks pretty good to me and at a slight price differential from the standard guage pod I think it is a good choice. The Strada has it’s advantages for sure and fits really well in an SL-C but I don’t think you can go wrong with either approach if you are looking for a digital instrument cluster.

8A06A04E-A586-4621-B2AF-A6926011E827.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron McCall

Supporter
I'm not sure how this might affect the KOSO but at least with the AIM dash you can't read the OBD2 diagnostic port while the dash is active. I believe it has to do with the dash drawing too much current from the CAN signal.

This is also true with the Ford Control Pack harness.
I am using the AEM CD-7 dash and when the dash is connected , the OBD2 plug is inoperable.

Ron

Back