New Manufacturer - Forum Now Open!

Re: New Manufacturer

Nigel Hulme taking a Chevron B16 on the outside leading into the sweeping right handed Malmesbury bend.

Even though the pic is blurred it gives a great feeling of speed.

Attachments

• 48383-pic3.jpg
    48383-pic3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 502

David Piper in the Ford F3L giving Nigel Hulme a hard time.

A lap later Nigel spun off at Malmesbury in huge cloud of dust through which David had to drive blind not knowing where Nigel was!

Attachments

• 48384-pic8.jpg
    48384-pic8.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 501

I know that this isn't a Ferrari P4 slot but I do have David Piper as the link to this thread!

This is a pic of David Piper at Killarney in February 2000.

A real beauty, sculptured as only Italians can. I'm sure that Jim (MK1V - J6) agrees wholeheartedly!

Attachments

• 48389-pic1.jpg
    48389-pic1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 481

I don't know, Andre, that F3L looks pretty good. You didn't by chance get a mold off Mr. Piper's car when it was at your factory being repaired, did you... (wishing hopefully)?

Regards,

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Andre
Cool Photo's. The green P4 is David's 0900. If you look at the tub repair link I posted you'll notice the red bar that we added to tie the two towers together. This is very important as the angle of the radius arm puts a slanted stress to the tower and without this bar the tower twists and eventually can fail. This bar is absent on the original tub.
Best
Jim

Thanks Jim and Rick.

Rick, boy did I think along those lines! How tempting with the car in my factory and the front and rear clips loose. I even jokingly suggested it to David. Problem was we had three days in which to carry out fairly major repairs.

The F3L will be here again next February with 26 other cars.
Now we wouldn't wish that it would get damaged again would we!

Nigel Hulme's spin, mentioned above, was hairy and I saw it happen. If I recall correctly it was caused by him trying to take the B16 on the outside as per above pic, which meant that it must have happend about two seconds later.

In summer, African dust is as fine as baby powder and with a slight breeze that day the cloud drifted right across the bend which meant that David came into the bend absolutely blind. He told me afterwards that if Nigel had ended up across the track it would meant big trouble! In fact I'm sure there would have been nothing left from which to take moulds!

I recall during a CAV test day in 2000 in a yellow GT40 that the speedo stood at 160 mph as the car hit the straight shortly after exiting Malmesbury bend. So David would have smacked the T70 at some serious speed had it been in the wrong place.

In the good old days motor racing was dangerous and sex was safe!
Andre 40

Attachments

• 48433-D1000011.jpg
    48433-D1000011.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 468

Thanks Andre. Fran suggested I make a buck of the F3L sometime after finishing my '40. I think I posted before that I received some station profiles of the car from a gentleman based in S. Africa, the profiles were intended for slot-car modellers. I was able to scan them in and convert said lines over to my CAD package (SolidEdge). So yes, armed with that, one could come up with a reasonable facsimile of a F3L, I'd like to think that somebody else would step in with some ideas for chassis construction, etc.

Anyway, very interesting posts as usual, look forward to more in the future...

Regards,

Rick

Attachments

• 48462-f3l.JPG
    48462-f3l.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 477
In the above report I refer to interviewing David Piper in February 1987 at his house in Surrey for his chapter in my Kyalami book - 17 years ago!!!!

In February this year we organised a barbeque at the Hi-Tech GT40 factory for David and friends as well as a senior man from the Porsche factory. Initially we thought in terms of having it at a smart house with swimming pool, etc, but then thought that it would be more appropriate to have it in between GT40 monocoques, parts, plant and equipment, etc. A great evening was had by all!

That's me showing David a dummy of my book in which he appears as a star. Said David, perhaps quite rightly and with bemused look, 'So we are seeing something at long last!'

When I started on the mammoth task in 1984 I saw nostalgia getting better over the years and fate has been kind to me as anything retro and nostalgic, including classic motor racing, is now at record levels. Now is the time to publish.

When I interviewed the 15 'stars' I asked them to tell funny stories and you can't believe what tricks these racing guys got up to. They're a laugh a minute!

Here's an example. Jochen Mass told me that when he was driving for McLaren they were last out on the circuit late one afternoon for practice for the 1975 South African Grand Prix. As he came through the fast right handed Barbeque bend the car cut out and stopped. As Jochen started on the long walk to pits he noticed two teenage girls riding their horses on the inner part of the circuit. He asked one of the girls if he could borrow her horse and with a request like this coming from a real live Grand Prix driver the youngster dismounted and eagerly handed Jochen the reins. As Jochen clip-clopped up the pit lane he noticed Bernie Ecclestone leaning against a pit counter with his back to the pit lane and in earnest conversation with someone behind the counter. That was when men were men and pit counters were pit counters! As Jochen approached he put his finger across his mouth to indicate to the guy Bernie was talking to keep quiet. The guy nodded and Jochen stopped the horse right behind Bernie. He then reined the horse in so that its whiskers brushed up against Bernie's right cheek. Irritably Bernie waved away the tickle. Jochen persisted and again Bernie attempted to brush the irritation away. Then Jochen tugged harder so that the horse kissed Bernie on his cheek. Only then did Bernie look around and straight into the face of a horse! Jochen said should have seen the look of disbelief on Bernie's face!!!

After the Grand Prix, Jochen and four other drivers returned to the nearby Kyalami Ranch Hotel on a motor bike which, for some reason, upset a traffic cop. So what’s the problem? Motor cars carry four passengers don’t they!

The Kyalami Ranch Hotel was a stop-over for three international air lines. Imagine the scene at Grand Prix time. Beautiful air hostesses lounging around the swimming pool in teeny bikinis and handsome racing drivers. I must stop it at once! Maybe George Lucas could have used this setting for a romantic film.

That's Norman Lewis on the left (proudly Welsh) and Keith bright on the right.

Andre 40

Attachments

• 48546-pic6.JPG
    48546-pic6.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 504
Sorry, pressed the button before I could edit some more.

Here's another pic. David Piper still looks surprised!

When Keith Bright gets that far away look in the eye, he's either had one too many, which could well be the case here, or he's figuring out some new fangled fibreglass design!

Attachments

• 48618-piper.jpg
    48618-piper.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 468
Hi Rick,

The front and rear clips after repairs in February 1988.

If I said I never thought of pulling moulds 'quickly'I would be lying. When I mentioned my evil thoughts to David he just smiled!!!!

With Robbie's and Ken's experience of monocoque design and manufacture, a replica or 'run on' F3L would be entirely possible. To make it 100% authentic a DFV would have to be fitted and I'm sure they're not around every corner like stock block cooking Ford V8s.

Confucius said that it was better to travel in hope than to arrive!!! This saying should apply to the entire kit car industry!!!

Andre 40

Attachments

• 48924-15.jpg
    48924-15.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 477
Wow, thanks for the pic, Andre. I'm still a bit sheepish after my last posting (see Front License Plate...). That's what happens when you're in a rush to get out the door and don't check your word processing auto-spell! I'm sure to receive a dictionary in the mail soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As to the F3L, I just caught a glimpse of it in a parade at Goodwood (featured on Speed Channel), it's such a lovely car and so I've really given it some thought about producing a body buck once I finish my '40.

Somebody mentioned sometime ago on the forum that there were a bunch of DFV's lying around, discarded from Indy car usage but I suspect that's one of those "urban myths".

From what I can tell, the lines that I have are pretty accurate and the body shape, while curvy, is fairly simple.

Somebody else mentioned that they were in contact with David Piper who would, apparently, produce a replica for around 60K pounds sterling...? I've just about collected every plastic and diecast model of the car (including Scalextric slot-car) and there are variants in each one.

When I get my scanner fixed, I'll scan the lines in and post them.

Best regards,

Rick

I must admit I have been an admirer of the Ford 3L for some time, (I too have the bright orange scalextric version!)
Just out of interest I was told recently that Cosworth will be remanufacturing some DFV's in variuos formats, prices starting at £9K.
I ended up on this thread because I am looking for something to build, I normally restore but fancied building a GT40 from scratch, since joining this forum and spending time collating info etc I must admit if anything I am being a little put off of a GT40 build, and now crave something different!

Back