New old guy

Eric B

Eric
Hello all!

Some of you will recognized my sig from Club Cobra, and others will know me directly.

I am in St. Louis MO, and currently own my 3rd SPF Cobra (496 BB)

I am getting serious about seeing about ordering a MK 1 SPF GT40 (the options are still a little open), and thinking about ordering this fall.

This would be a third toy for me, so maybe 1000-2000 mikes a year tops. I am going to go sit in one, but how to you think a 6' guy 250 lbs (wide shoulders) will fit?

Most of my miles will be in town, and I do not see me racing it.

Thanks for the feedback, I am sure I will have more questions from the experienced owners on this forum.

Eric

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"...how (do) you think a 6' guy 250 lbs (wide shoulders) will fit?"

Head room should be no problem unless you're long wasted. (In that case, a "Gurney bubble" should remedy the situation.)
Assuming by "wide shoulders" you MEAN "wide shoulders" - you will very likely be 'intruding' on your passenger's shoulder space.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Go for it, once you'r settled in you won't want to get out anyway, The fun part is getting out, It works best if you park under a chin up bar to aid in the exit.

Eric B

Eric
Thanks guys!

Yeah, my shoulders are a little (not like a linebacker) wide.

I am pretty normal in proportions, regular leg length and torso. I am thinking the shoulder part might be akin to a southwest airlines trip where you can't help but have your shoulders against the dude next to you.

I have a schedule, planning a trip to Hillbank in the early fall and will confirm seating.

Hey, is the GT40 tighter than a SPF Cobra for seating?

E

CAV GT40 IS 3 INCHES WIDER BETWEEN THE DOOR SILLS. STILL TIGHT FOR TWO GUYS THAT GO TO THE GYM .. I TOOK A GYM BUDDY OF MINE FOR A RIDE AND OUR SHOULDERS TOUCHED.. JUST FIND A SKINNY FRIEND

Last edited:

Bill Kearley

Supporter
No joke. While at 45th reunion at Road America I sat in a CAV as some guys pushed a 40 into a trailer. I volunteered because I saw a tire rack in a spot I could use to lift my self out with the car door half closed.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Something to think about Eric. 42 inches across the tub less about 4 inches for the tunnel. Your half is 21 inches plus a bit extra from the seat to the door.

Attachments

• GOPR0677.JPG
    GOPR0677.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 423
  • GOPR0675.JPG
    GOPR0675.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 375
  • GOPR0676.JPG
    GOPR0676.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 428
More accurately a SPF LHD has a 19" wide drivers seat and a 16" wide passenger seat. I find the drivers seat plenty wide, but my wife won't go for long drives in the passenger seat. A RHD SPF has 16" seats on both sides. As to height it really matters how tall your torso is compared to legs. Plenty of leg space. I had a 6'2" guy with short torso ride in mine without gurney bubbles. If you fit you'll love it, but try one at Hillbank. It's much lower and laid back than a Cobra.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
"...the shoulder part might be akin to a southwest airlines trip where you can't help but have your shoulders against the dude next to you."

'Pretty much EXACTLY right. But, that's accurate only for 'average' shoulder width. If one's shoulders are wider than 'average' at all - encroachment on the passenger's space will be the result...only the degree to which it happens will be in question! ;-)

Don't know how Hillbank has their 40's set up, but there are 3 fore-aft positions for the pedal rack. Seat is fixed. Adjusting the pedal rack takes a couple of hours as the nose has to be removed and it's hard to reach.

Eric B

Eric
I will ask before I go. These are great suggestions.

I have a list of things to go through. I'm sure you guys can relate.

E

Eric B

Eric
Back from Hillbank.

No issues at all with me in and out of the GT40 (I am happy to report).

For those of you following my search for the build that will make me happy, I have now turned toward a 351W based motor and given up on a coyote (for all sorts of reasons).

I answered many questions, now have more research to perform.

E

Eric B

Eric
The deliveries on these has gone to 5-6 months, so I need to get off the pot.

I am going to make a quick look around for a SPF GT40 used that someone has babied, but I need to order by July 1st if I go new.

Wish me success, this has been a hard purchase for me.

E

Eric B

Eric
Call Rick Muck "MarkIV" on this forum. Same on club cobra. I'd hate to see you pay Hillbank prices.

Thanks Ron!

I did contact Rick and ordered my car through him. He was able to get the car shipped direct to Dennis and then saved me money to boot.

I appreciate the advise, well done sir!

Eric

Back