New/Old Transaxle Fabrication Project

Hello all,

In the 1960's CanAm Legend Bob McKee hacked his own transaxle to go racing. I've obtained some photos; and have begun the redesign for the new century. I like a smaller lighter car, and will be mating the transaxle to a 1961 Buick aluminum V8 in my 1969 Lotus Europa.

Here is the project outline:
McKee used a Hallibrand quick change differential as a building block. The quick change gears alter the drive ratio to the differential, and they are hung out the back. The engine drives an input shaft which drives the bottom gear. The bottom gear drives a top gear and that drives the differential. Pull off the rear cover to change gear ratios.

In his design, the quick change gears are removed, and the transmission input shaft is attached to the bottom gear drive shaft. The output of the transmission is then attached to the bottom gear, which drives the top gear, which drives the differential.

The main point is that the quick change differential is a very robust bit of kit and uses Ford differentials; and the stock 5 speed / 6 speeds which are modern can simply be plugged into the back (or they will be able to when the project is complete.

I've only just gotten the quick change differential body on the bench, but am looking for any interested parties to collaborate with, and the main bit that I'm looking for advice on is a coating for aluminum which adds the 1.5 to 1.8 percent to a casting so that I can make a mold. (Coat the existing part to make up for the aluminum shrinking when cast.) This is old school hot rod domain stuff, I think. I'm a high tech kinda guy and the whole digitization and turn it into a point cloud, fiddle with the point cloud to get a solid model, etc. seems antithetical to this Old Tech effort. But I'm a great listener and would like to hear what you have to say.

Possibly attached is a rudimentary schematic of the concept.

Cheers!

Calif.Fogg

Attachments

• mcKee transaxle hack.jpg
    mcKee transaxle hack.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 1,946

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Calif fogg welcome to GT40s.com

Please do us a favor and read through our FAQ which outline the rules here. Link below.
We would appreciate it if you could pay close attention to rule number 2 and make the appropriate adjustment to your user name.

Thank you.

GT40s.com - FAQ

G.W.P.

Lola/Lotus/Buick/Porsche project...

Attachments

• IMG_7465.JPG
    IMG_7465.JPG
    960.2 KB · Views: 1,153
  • IMG_8776.JPG
    IMG_8776.JPG
    744.1 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_8782.JPG
    IMG_8782.JPG
    743.2 KB · Views: 772

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi PanamaG,

Please take a look at our rules here and make the appropriate change to your user name.

GT40s.com - FAQ

Thank you!

Gonna be cool to watch a real live miracle take place on this website for once, make a change from SLC this & SLC that! :)

Why not post information about the transaxle miracle that you are building too Jac......:drunk:...dont you already have a transaxle pattern made from wood ?...or has it recycled itself and grown back into a tree by now....

I recall a member on here that has/had a McKee box in a T70 replica...Casey Putsch I think...maybe worth hunting him down for his impression of its strengths and weaknesses...

Last edited:

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I saw Casey's T70 with the McKee box at Road America in 2008. Right on the windshield, it states the car has no reverse gear. Not the kind of transaxle, I would be shopping for.

Regards Brian

Attachments

• dcp_3095.jpg
    dcp_3095.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 584
  • dcp_3075.jpg
    dcp_3075.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 636
Why not post information about the transaxle miracle that you are building too Jac......:drunk:...dont you already have a transaxle pattern made from wood ?...or has it recycled itself and grown back into a tree by now....

Nah, its still a piece of 'Goodwood' & epoxy, Its me trying to avoid the recycling bin! Anyway I thought RCR was building a transaxle to satisfy customer needs, whatever happened to that deal... I read where one of your potential clients was describing it as vaporware a few days ago...better get your 'A's into gear or Califf. Smog might beat you to the market....:)

Its the Griffin mate....out of my control I am afraid...we did cut some cases out of billet for the programme...it was never an RCR product...always Griffin.

Delynn is not building vaporware ,as a couple of forum users have been to his factory and have seen the parts being assembled...still beating you hands down though isnt he...??

see here... not called an RCR transaxle by me.. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/rcr-forum-rcr40-slc-p4-mkiv/34231-new-rcr-transaxle.html

Last edited:
There is a McKee transaxle for sale on the web. I called on it the guy had it as of 2 months ago. When I found out it had no reverse. Game over for me.

Tremec's, TKO's etc are going to be hard work with the top shifter location, Top Loader or the Doug Nash 5/6 speed evolutions are a better basis with side mount shifters. Doug Nash etc have some dimensional criteria that are a big plus when working with the QC gear packages. With using an existing QC diff housing etc there is not much to do if you only want one transaxle for yourself and are not too concerned about its appearance, BUT if you want to productionize it & make it a bit more compact & user friendly it takes a lot more work. [ De Lynn could probably elaborate on that..]

Might know a bit more after this weekend, have heard a rumour that a car using the same principals in its transaxle as I have in mine ( He came & bent my ear & picked my brain for ideas etc ) is possibly going to make a debut...time will tell..

I have seen pattern makers use sheet wax to add thickness to a model. The thickness of the wax is calculated based on the amount or percentage of shrinkage that occurs when the part is made. The wax is tacky and will adhear to the model. It can be worked over compound surfaces. Joints between sheets are filled with melted wax and smoothed.

Back