New owner

Hello everyone,
I have been checking out this site for some time now and have finally registered. I want to thank everybody for all the information that is available here, as it has been very helpful. My wife and I recently purchased a CAV GT40. The car is monocoque chassis number 1 (which was Bob Lacys' demo car). We purchased it turn key minus and I now have the car running. This CAV GT is interesting in the fact that the body is kevlar/carbon fiber. Apparently the first two monocoques were of this body type. Options include 17" Halibrands, AC, and fuel injection. I also have a 1973 Pantera, which got me into mid-engine vehicles, and I felt I knew what to expect from the GT40. Boy was I wrong! The weight advantage of the GT makes it a much faster and better handling car. I am going to try to attach some pictures, so I hope this works.
beckygt40-3.jpg
beckygt40-4.jpg
beckygt40-5.jpg
 beckygt40-7.jpg
beckygt40-1.jpg
beckygt40-2.jpg

Patrick,

Your GT40 is beautiful. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the photos.

Have fun!

John

Patrick Congrats on your CAV purchase!! Car looks great. THX for posting the pics. Mine is on its way. Carbon fibre body sounds really cool!!!

frknfast Gulf GT40

Patrick
Good luck with your GT40. Picks look great.
What type of fuel injection system are you using ?

[ April 06, 2003: Message edited by: vic mastrorocco ]

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Patrick, that is just a stunning car - you must the thrilled to bits !!

The only problem I have is in trying to figure out how you managed to get hold of my car one night, finish it off exactly the way I intend (colour, GT40 stripes, 17" Halibrands, etc), & get it back into my garage in an unfinished state again by the following morning !!!!

Peter D.
smile.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
As you have discoved there is a BIG difference between a '40 and a Pantera. Not to knock the Pantera but they are a poor example of a mid-engined car's handling. Several yaers ago I had a customer who was a local roundy-pounder racer. He had bought a Pantera, brought it in for some work and asked me to drive it. He was concerned that there was a chassis problem. I drove it and pronounced it "OK". He asked me "you mean it is MEANT to handle like this?" He assumed that just because it was mid-engined it would be a neutral, hi-G machine.

Rick
shocked.gif

To answer the questions: The shield over the muffler is a heat shield that comes with the car. The exhaust system is ceramic coated. The intake is from Very Cool Parts and the cold air box is a custom piece. The fuel injection uses an Electromotive Tech II. After I got it running I had a company called Sias Tuning help with the final tuning. Still breaking the engine in.

Congratulations, Patrick. Bring the car down to Knotts this weekend if you can!!

I am curious who did the engine, carb, etc. Did you have it done or did the seller? (I understand you bought turnkey minus.) Did you use JC Performance? Any reactions re whoever did the work?

Thanks.

Congrats,

The car looks great. Next time you are in Pleasanton, we should try and hook up. I am sure you are having toooooo much fun.
grin.gif

SDP,
I did all the install work on the car. Engine is a 340hp Ford crate. 1.72:1 rockers, windage tray, fuel injection from Very Cool Parts, Electromotive tech II, Ford Racing water pump, etc.

Faili F,
I e-mailed Bud40 suggesting we set up a tech session with the local guys in the bay area. I would really like to check out everyones cars. Maybe the weekend of april 18th. or 26th. Let me know if that works.

Patrick,

I'd love to get together sometime. My car is located in Oakland. It isn't much to look at right now, but I do have a keg of Guinness... And I'm at a point where looking at a couple of finished cars would be very useful (Bud et al, hint, hint).

I'm headed to Taiwan on business. Hopefully I'll be back (without SARS) by next weekend. Send me some email if you're interested in meeting.

Scott

Scotty,

BEAM ME UP
grin.gif
grin.gif

GUINNESS??? I'll be there in 1/2 hour!! Dave and I were at your place about 6 months ago checking out your 40.

I am in Oakland just about every weekend. BUT I am always in my Cobra not the GT (I just got it running so I don't want to wander too far).

PATRICK,

The 18th and the 26th look OK right now. May be we can get Scott to bring in the Guinness
grin.gif
grin.gif

G

GUYS
This is so refreshing ,Im not just talking about the Guinness.
Isnt this what the forum is all about - enthusiasts in the regions getting together to discuss the most loved thing on the planet (after family and friends)instead of the mindless bickerings of some of the recent postings.
Enjoy your Guiness and the GT40s
Fly

Hey Denis, Freddy, Scott we are all pretty close together. My car and Freds are drivable so we are mobile. Denis yours Runs and is movable but not yet road worthy and Scott yours is in the building process - so what is a good time to get together - is April 18 ok for you guys? Next question where is the best place to meet? Fred if Dave wants to come down he could meet up with you, Scott you know were my place is and Denis you know were we are but can't get your car to us so shall we converge on your place mine or Freds?

Hey guys,
I said the weekend of the 18th, but the 18th is a friday. How does saturday the 19th sound? Sounds like bud40 has a handle on the rest of the details.

Back