New user, looking for a transmission

I would think 500 would be the max for me for a gt40. Gary is using a 427W that makes 615 hp in his CAV. He is using the RBT 5 speed.

Look up Recardo or Mendeola transmissions. Its all been said above. Thing is though, that you wont notice the difference between say 700hp and 1000. If you're sprinting down the quarter mile, you may only get about 0.5 of a second difference in times. Its takes a LOT of power just to make a small difference when you get to those performance levels. If you want to go quick, best you just make the car as light as you can. If you're on a track it will take serious handling and horsepower to catch up to a car that is lighter with less power.
If all that money is still burning a hole in your billfold, then best you consider your car to be 4 wheel drive. This will give your tires a break, and allow you at least some sort of traction on the road with your 1000+ horsepower (and not to mention that driveline wrecking force, torque) ....

Take some advice from all the guys here...most of us have researched all of the options, and the trade off becomes cost and driveability. I have a Hewland box at my shop now that will handle about 750 hp, straight cut gears, noisy as hell, and most high power handling boxes have an oil pump and probably need to be fitted witha cooler. These boxes can run up to $20,000.00 U.S. and higher. All of the mid power boxes have helical cut gears, synchros and smaller shafts and bearings..and as long as you don't abuse them will give good service...and will shift smoothly if set up properly. I personally don't think you will find something that will drive easily and be cost effective unless you spend some heavy dollars.
Good luck
Phil

Back