Newbie Questions

Hello Group

This is my first posting to this group and i have a bunch of “Idiot” questions for you. I have just finished the build of a Robin Hood 2b (don’t laugh.. it wasn't easy ) and although driving it is a heap of fun i do miss the build aspect.
To this extent, i would love to build a GT40 replica. As ever money is the biggest problem, so can any one recommend a good starting point? What do i need to know to make a kit manufacturer decision? Is there a manufacturer of your choice? Can I buy a chassis and suspension to get me going? Buying a part built kit might be nice but do they exist?
I should mention that i live in Cumbria in the Uk so is obtaining Ford small block engines amongst other bits possible, if that is what is required.

Please help, as all info would be greatfully received

Hi Jules and welcome to the Forum.

I opted for the 'buy everything new' route, and to be honest if I were to do it again I would buy a reasonable SVA'd car and then pull it to pieces and re-build to my own spec.

That said please be under no illusions that building a good '40 is not cheap. I have mainly relied on the stock market to fund my project and as we all know this medium has'nt been great of late!!

As for manufacturer I can only comment on GTD which has been a fairly simple build but requires several mods as some of the early supplied parts appear to have come off a Tractor!!, however I believe nothing new is coming out of the factory. I know that Mark Sibley at MDA has been developing a new chassis and body but I have not seen this so cannot comment. Perhaps Mark can up-date us on this? There is also Tornado but again I cannot comment as I have no personal experience of their product, but parts I have bought from them have been of good quality. I have seen 1 built car which I must say was absolutely stunning.

I think you will find engines are fairly easy to obtain. Cost obviously depends wether you intend to buy new or S/H. SVA requires all but one component to be new so you could opt for a rebuilt engine.

Hope this is of some help and good luck.

Jules,

I am in the process of having an MDA built. The kit is an evolution of the old GTD chasis, and hence is better.

You can reach Mark Sibley at MDA GT40

His kits are bloody good. You will NOT need to upgrade to better parts beacause they are already very high quality.

He is also the man to talk to about SVA tests.

Regards,

J.P

Jules,

I know the Robin Hoods are not a straight forward build so you obviously have the skills necessary for a GT40 replica!

AFAIK several 40's have passed SVA recentley, proving it can be done, however I'm not sure of the details or costs involved.

When entering into ownership I discovered it would be much cheaper & more convenient (in my case) to buy a car already built & registered with a view to re-build, as opposed to a new kit & there are usually a few suitable cars around for sale. There has also been a few part-builts advertised on this forum.

At the moment there are very few companies actually making 40's in the UK, so I suggest you contact & visit them all before making a decision.

A good first move would be to join the two clubs & get out & meet a few owners so you'll soon get a realistic view of owning & building your own GT40.

Oh, I nearly forgot, make siure you get one, they're 'b*tchin'!!

grin.gif

That’s excellent info guys

Thanks for the input.
I have had a quick look at the MDA web site and price list!!!!!!!!!! Gulp!!!!!!!, but what a car. I think that financing the project on the stock market isn't ambitious enough. Perhaps inventing something like Microsoft might bring in enough bunce to fund the project.

I was hoping to get going with just a couple if thousand( £ or $ ) but perhaps i should get on with some real work and earn some proper money.
I could always sell the Robin Hood but this wouldn’t get me a set of wheels for a GT40.

If any one has any bright ideas of low cost starting point, I would be interested to here.

Thanks Again

Jules Brewer

Hi Jules,

A newbe here too that's just finshed a GP Spyder...again not an easy build!
www.pbase.com/cinqster/gp_spyder&page=2

I'll no doubt be joining you with newbe questions, as I'm not sure if to start another build so soon, or go for an older roadworthy car?

My tip for a real budget build is to check out the KVA kit that's up for grabs for a measely £3,500 on FindIt.co.uk. (which I've been tempted to have a look at)!

I think the car is in the Midlands so it's not too far from you, but it's been for sale for a while...maybe it's too much a project for most?

Cheers for now,

John S.

Thanks for the posts.

Yes that KVA looks interesting. But am i right in understanding that KVA GT40's are worth trying to steer clear of? If that is true,whats the reason? Can you still get bits for KVA cars.....? So many questions...sorry

Thanks Again

Jules,

The later KVA's are fine. Some say the 'C' type KVA is the best chassis of all. The early KVA's had a very undesirable rear suspension setup, & I believe some owners cut off the back of the chassis & welded on a GTD rear section.

There are some cracking KVA's on the road, but the quality of the finished car is entirely down to the builder. Alot of fiberglass work is required on the KVA body to get an acceptable panel fit.

KVA are no longer in business, but there are s/h parts about.

IME, there are *very* few 'bolt-on' parts available. Just about everything requires 'making fit' or some fabrication/machining etc.

If you have good skills & facilities, you can save a shedload of money. If you have to pay someone else to do the work for you, you're in for a very expensive car!

Keep your eyes peeled for a 'cheap' registered car. They *are* around!

I think i see why groups like this exist now!

I thought after building a Robin Hood i would take on a project where things just fitted together....laugh.... Perhaps i am due a reality check.
I thought if i were to buy a Westie or Caterham kit it would be i pile of bits that i just had to bolt together. Due to the increased price tag, i thought a GT40 Kit might be the same. Don't get me wrong , I dont mind "making things fit" , it's just nice to know that your going to meet problems before they stare you in the face........

So, am i going to take on a way of life if i decide to build a GT40 or a little pet project?

Cheers again

Jules,

With companies like Tornado, GTD, and RF
selling complete kits, they are almost
a pile of parts that just bolt together.
Note the almost. And these manufacturers
will allow you to buy a basic kit, and
then purchase the rest of the parts as needed
(or, if you have the money up front - buy
the whole kit at once and save a little
in the long run).

Of course, you might, at a later point, decide
to do some upgrades, which will require more
than botling on new parts.

But a GT40, real or replica, is a way of
life, whether you buy turnkey or kit.
Not a bad way of life, but a way of life all
the same
smile.gif

Ian

Howard Jones

Supporter
Before I started building my GTD I thought I had a good idea what I was in for. But.... now after about 75-80% complete I guess all the do it yourself was the part that in hindsight was where the fun has been. I had built a number of motorcycles including roadrace yamahas but cars are very different. Except maybe the need to make sure nothing falls off. Count the time spent as enjoying a hobby that teaches you things you would never learn anywhere else and enjoy. Oh and by the way I'll get to drive it when it's done! Can't wait, about Feb 03 I think.

Jules,

You're in England so why not contact Chris Melia? He builds and sells MKI bodies for a very low price. You could get one of his bodies, build (or have built) a tube frame under it, obtain your windscreen and plexi items, and the rest you can find. This is for a street version that could be upgraded later on.

For example, I'm placing my GT40 MKI body onto a Pantera frame. I bought the Pantera frame for $2000, including all suspension, disc brakes, chassi, etc., and it seems to be working out well. My total cost will be around $15,000 when finished.

This would be the least expensive way to go unless you happen to find a "super GT40 bargain" somewhere.

You can email me for more info on my project if you like: [email protected]

Good luck and don't shy away from the project because of the difficulties. My friend, Mark Clapp, has driven his for years while I've dreamed for years. My goal is to be done next year.

Have fun!

John

Back