On vacation in the Phoenix area and fuel cell question

Hello Everyone,
I hope this is the appropriate part of the forum to post.
I’ve loved GT40s since I was 9 years old (1966. Coincidence perhaps?). Currently own a 2017 Grand Sport and have always had sports cars since I could drive. I will shortly be in a position to be able to buy a GT40 but have only sat in a demo at Hillbank in Irvine. I couldn’t imagine taking it out on the street and competing for space with Orange Co. SUVs for even a test drive so I set my sights on a Daytona instead. But as my oldest son said when comparing the two, the Daytona is a demi-god but the GT40 is an outright god in the automotive world. Couldn’t stop obsessing over the Ford. It is the only car that chokes me up whenever I even see a photograph of one.
I live in Northern CA in the Sierra foothills east of Sacramento but am vacationing with my wife in the northern Phoenix area (Squaw Peak Hilton) until Thursday and would greatly appreciate seeing someone’s GT40 if they would care to share and have a bit of time. My only exposure has been through spending hours watching YouTube vids with headphones on to simulate the experience. Thanks to the “Where do you live” thread I contacted two gentlemen but they are understandably out of town in the summer and we couldn’t connect but by phone.
Secondly, one of the owners had recently replaced the fuel cells in his CAV with aluminum or stainless baffled tanks before the foam started to deteriorate. I did some reading in the cobra forums and heard the shock and awe stories from unsuspecting owners with foam clogged fuel filters after a few years. Do all manufacturers use the rubberized cells or do any rolling chassis come with a more long lasting solution to the ethanol problem?
Thanks guys.
Franklyn

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
In the Superformance the factory installs stainless fabricated tanks. No one uses rubber bladder tanks anymore, even original FAV cars use steel or alloy fuel containers with or without foam inside.

Neil

Supporter
Franklyn;

Fuelsafe recommends replacing the foam in their reinforced polyurethane bladder tanks every 5 years. Methanol requires a different foam from race gas but what is recommended for ethanol or E85 is anyone's guess.

Franklyn, I live in Meadow Vista, next to Auburn, and have a Superformance Mk1. You are welcome any time to come by and you can look and touch as long as you like and then we’ll go for a ride. Bring your son if you like

Eric B

Eric
In the Superformance the factory installs stainless fabricated tanks. No one uses rubber bladder tanks anymore, even original FAV cars use steel or alloy fuel containers with or without foam inside.
For an "in tank" pump for injection, a surge area with baffles is preferable to me over the foam. I thought Dennis told me he has a mod just for that.

E

Neil

Supporter
Baffles are fine to prevent fuel slosh on the tanks; reticulated foam does the same thing but in addition the wet foam prevents fuel explosions by cooling the flame front. If I remember correctly, the foam-filled fuel cells were developed by Firestone for military aircraft- mainly for helicopters- to prevent tracer bullets from exploding the fuel tanks.

Back