Opinion on possible engine purchase

Hi guys, I have been a chevy/GM guy when it comes to V8 engines, so you tell me what you think of this engine available to me from a guy that I know at work.
It is all new except (.030) block. Never ran, and heads never put on. It would be for a RF with a audi 016 box, either webers or stack injection. Here is the info he sent me via email.
Short block – By Keith Craft Racing in Arkadelphia AR.

- 14003 Eagle kit

- 347ci Blue printed

- Bored .030 over

- Eagle steel crank

- Eagle steel h-beam rods

- JE/SRP forged flat top pistons /w valve reliefs

- Chidl&Albert rings

- Federal mogul bearings

- Ford F303 cam

- Motorsport double roller timing chain

- 28oz balance

- 10:1 compression

- Steel main support

- Painted Ford electric blue

-

Heads – Edelbrock Performance RPMS 6025

- valves 202/160

Timing cover- ford P/N M-6059-B351

He says the short block was balanced by K Kraft as a unit has a fluid damper, and flywheel , but I dont know if the flywheel is usable with my RF setup.Maybe Mark W. or Hersh can help me with that. He was going to put this motor in a late model mustang. He is asking 3,000 , but mentioned he might be willing to take $2,500 .

Would this be a good cam ?
here are the specs that i found on the net for the cam:
M-6250-F303 (3,4) 1985-95 302 with Roller Tappet Cam (1,2) Hydraulic Roller Tappet Slightly rougher idle than E303. More mid-range and top-end power than E303. Great for superchargers. 5-speed manual transmission recommended. peak tq.2800 peak hp.6000 288° 288° 0.512' 0.512'
226° 226°

Should I pass on the heads and just get the short block?
He is willing to sell seperate.

I would appreciate any thoughts, Dan

For that price it sounds like its sold. (to you of course)
I'd pick that up for that price.
Sounds like a solid buy with a great combination of parts.
The heads themself are worth close to that.

Howard Jones

Supporter
All in all that is a very good price as far as a sum of all the parts question. It is also a good selection. I would keep the heads as you will not be able to replace them for anything like what you paid for them and they are a good set. You will have to do your own evaluation of the builders workmanship. Should you want to you could have it disasemmbled and checked out by your own builder. Or you could pull a maincap and check clearance, maybe even take out one piston and measure everything, bore taper, ring end clearance, piston sizing, etc. More than likely if one was done right then the rest were.

At least run a compression check. If I though it was assembled corectly I'd buy it at that price.

Holy smokes now thats a good price right there!

If Keith Craft really put together the short block then you should be all set. Never ever heard anything bad about them (unlike Coasthigh/Probe,.....).
Is it really 2500 for the shortblock including heads etc? Go for it immediately or it will be gone soon.

The F-cam is really not the best you can get by far, but it will work okay. I would recommend calling Comp Cams and talking to their techs or have Ed Curtis grind you a custom one. Gordon Levy has some good grinds, too.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
"Heads – Edelbrock Performance RPMS 6025 "

Summit sells these heads for $1,079.00 a pair.

I thought the AFR's had better HP numbers but it's been a while since I checked.

It's still a screaming deal.

Call Tony or Keith at Keith Craft Racing (870-246-7460) and see if they ever invoiced the guy for the motor. It's a great deal for $2500, the F cam is a decent cam but a Comp Cams XE 274HR would be a better choice. I was just up in Canada tuning a CAV with a stack injection that had a 347 with AFR 185 heads that really screamed.

Thanks for the info Wayne and every ones opinion. I believe the heads and short block were bought 3 yrs ago. Says he has reciepts for $4,500 and will give them to me. If so I guess the Edelbrock heads still have the exhaust ports in the exact original location and not like the ones they moved up from Lynns time line on that deal .(from another thread)Sounds like I better close the Deal. Dan

Bought and picked it up tonight. Also got a weiland polished high flow aluminum water pump with it.
Got sheet after sheet of documetation. This Keith Craft place really does a heck of a job letting the buyer know what they have got. Looking forward to hearing and feeling this baby scream,,, oh , now I only need to build my car first, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ,LOL

Back