original brake pipes

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Help please. I refer to my copy of the Illustrated Parts List, Plate U, it states the front to rear brake pipe is 3/10th , I guess that would be 5/16 ".

Those of you who have seen the original cars can you confirm this? Also, if the pipe is 5/16" then the 4 way connector would have the one 1/2" connection.

As most of the parts on the original GT40s were used on other vehicles, can anyone tell me where to look for the 4 way union ?

Many thanks, Peter.

Don't know where the union was sourced from, but the mounting bracket on the chassis was on the Starboard side, inner rear edge of the rear horse shoe/mounting collar.....

I am keen to hear the answer as well. Maybe look and see if its a ford part from some of the UK fords. ie Zephyr rear differential union.

Help please. I refer to my copy of the Illustrated Parts List, Plate U, it states the front to rear brake pipe is 3/10th , I guess that would be 5/16 ".

Those of you who have seen the original cars can you confirm this? Also, if the pipe is 5/16" then the 4 way connector would have the one 1/2" connection.

As most of the parts on the original GT40s were used on other vehicles, can anyone tell me where to look for the 4 way union ?

Many thanks, Peter.

Hi Peter,

You're overthinking this - 3/10" is a typo and is obviously meant to be 3/16" as the other brake pipes in the Parts List are shown.

So brake lines are 3/16" and clutch lines are 1/4". The 4-way brake pipe connector has 4 unions all of which are 3/8" UNF so you need a brake pressure switch which is 3/8" UNF. Both this and the union are readily available.

E-mail me if you need more info.

Regards,

Graham.

Peter Barnes

Supporter
Hi Peter,

You're overthinking this - 3/10" is a typo and is obviously meant to be 3/16" as the other brake pipes in the Parts List are shown.

So brake lines are 3/16" and clutch lines are 1/4". The 4-way brake pipe connector has 4 unions all of which are 3/8" UNF so you need a brake pressure switch which is 3/8" UNF. Both this and the union are readily available.

E-mail me if you need more info.

Regards,

Graham.
CNV00095 (640x480).jpg
Hi Graham,

That makes good sense.

I have a photo of originals with the 2 pipes running to the rear, clutch and brake, and the lower pipe appears to be larger.

This may be miss leading. I don't know which chassis this is .

Thanks for the info. Best wishes, Peter.

The lower pipe is the clutch pipe but it doesn't go to the 4-way union, it's actually the clutch hose tucked out of the way; with the engine in place it would connect to the clutch slave cylinder.

Regards,

Graham.

Back