P4 Photo

That is one gorgeous car!! Can you tease everybody with some details?
smile.gif

Dear Robert
If you go to The GT Forum>> ALL GT40>> "New 917 LeMans Gulf Racer" (Page 1&2) april 09 2002 there are more pics of my P4 on page 1 and a description on page 2. One fine day we'll all get ourselves and our cars together!
Best
Jim

There is no doubt in my mind that endurance racers from that age are among the most beautiful cars ever made. That car is simply gorgeous.

Regards,
Mark

Looks great. You've made some significant progress. I suspect you have no difficulty getting volunteer help
smile.gif

Jim

I was reading Ronnie Spain again last night.
He says (4)P4's and (3) P3/4's raced at
Lemans in 1967.

Yet the Ferrari chat room talks about only
(3) P4's being made? Can you clarify?

And when do you hope to have that bad boy on the road?

Thx
MikeD

MikeD

Mr. Holden, you (and your pal "ERA Pete") have exquisite taste in cars. I would like to sit in the dark in your garage some time, just to listen to the ghostly whisperings amongst the historic beasts sleeping there...the P4 has got to be right there with the most beautiful ever conceived. Hell, when it's done you can pull J-6 out and recreate the '67 Le Mans in your driveway--

Bob
I not sure who Mr. Holden or the other gentleman you mentioned are but when 0846 is done thats exactly what I hope to do. I was also thinking of making a Christmas card showing the two of them in my garage with the inscription "If they can live in Peace why can't we?"
Best
Jim

Jim,

I have a faint recollection of a P4 street conversion done for I believe it was Dean Martin's son (Dino?) back a number of years ago. Do you have any knowlege of this car?

Andy

Mike and AJS
Much of what has been written in books is wrong. My car 0846 began as a factory P3 and was converted by Ferrari into a car they then called a P4. When it won Daytona they called it a P4 thus P3/4. The next 3 they built were called P4's by the factory. The customer P3's that were brought up to almost P4 specs (They had Webbers not the Lucas Mechanical Injestion) were reffered to by the Factory as 412P's.
The ex Dean Martin 412P is now back in it's race form. http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/21/199283.html?1044722909
has more pics and if you search that forum you'll find more photos of my car and more discussion.
We're getting closer. The painting will start soon and the engine will go on the dyno soon.
Best
Jim

Jim, my mistake. Had you confused with a another Jim, also from the New York area, who is/was a part-owner of J-10...sorry. Regardless, please post a picture of that Christmas card when you do it!
grin.gif

G

Jim,

I really appreciate your posts of this girl ... brings back a funny memory.

At the 1965 (i believe) Daytona Continental 24 hour race, I was a pit steward along with some other guys from the University of South Florida in Tampa. The Ferrari pits were right next to the Porsche pits about mid way up the side near the exit (and on to the road into the infield).

A similar (maybe the same?) Ferrari came in after dusk ... he was blowing smoke and fire. They popped the rear shell, and determined that the engine had caughed out a spark plug ... I believe on the left side. With dual ignition (two plugs per jug and two magnetos it ignited the charge in the jug every time, making for a pretty spectacular event.

To fix it, it became apparent they were going to have to clear the obstructions from the top of the engine. That meant removing the carbs (which I believe were 6 weber duces) and pop some header tubes out. Was going to take a while.

At any rate, I sort of lost track of the car as the repair proceded because there was a lot going on.

Some time considerably later (hours as I remember it), I was walking down pit lane when I heard the unmistakable yelp of a ferrari engine along with tires being spun hard. The sound was WAY TOO CLOSE!

We had been told during orientation for Stewards that the car owners would be very upset if we provided any objects in the way that could conceivably damage their expensive cars. (Not exactly the same focus as safety today.) So I became airborne to get out of the way.

I found myself on the other side of the pit wall ... in the arms of the Ferrari team manager ... as the car broad slid across where I have been standing a fraction of a second previously. The manager's first response was was to get red faced and angry.

Within a split second, however, I had released this guy and he erupted into a bend-over belly laugh, as he realized what had happened, and he noticed the Porsche team guys watching him (and me) were doubled over with laughter too.

I was MUCH more careful to keep track of the potential readiness of cars to exit thereafter, and (oddly enough) the pit crews were much nicer for the rest of the evening.

Sure enjoyed that event!

I know everyone always says: "Those were the days" but THOSE WERE THE DAYS!
In 67 that old girl (Up graded with Lucas Mechinacal Injection) Finished 1 OA.
Best
Jim

Back