Paul

Hello, Paul here. I just bought GTD car #4020390.
I am still in shock, went to Scottsdale to get away from winter weather & ended up buying a car... a GT40 no less.
Anyway, anyone know anything about this car?? Ex Ian David (UK), Imported in 2000 to Alabama by Zimmerman (U.S.) next owner Dale Fowler (U.S.) 2009.
I purchased at Russo auction.
Car has Nice Candy red/gold paint. Engine purportedly Roush 342 engine w/webbers & snakes, vented/ cross drilled brakes. Shelby knockoff minilites.
Any help/input appreciated.
Thanks

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Paul,

Welcome to GT40s.com....

Congratulations on your purchase! :thumbsup:

Would love to see some pictures!

HI Paul Could you put some picture on of the windows on this car, They look to be quite unique. Thanks Wally

Hi all thanks for welcome.. The windows- car is at transport company, I think that I may see it in about two weeks or so. Will try to figure out how to get pictures of windows up on this site then.
I have heard that this particular car has had some development for track use. I am hoping that I can do some lapping with it. I have a Griffith that I have done local events with. It keeps breaking. Maybe this car is stouter built.
Regards,
Paul

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Paul

Your car was built by Tony Haliwell in 1990, not the factory. Tony built two GTD's and sold one at a profit to pay for the one he kept! Drop the GTD40 from your vin number and you have the correct chassis number according to GTD chassis records. Originally the car was all red (Porsche Guards red if I remember correctly) and was one of the cars taken to the Ring in 1994 and you can see his car leaving the hotel car park in exuberant style one morning in the club video (somewhere on U tube I think). Tony was/is a race instructor now, last bumped into him at Snetterton. Nice guy and he built good cars. Spooky thing is, he sold his 40 and bought.....a Griffiths!

Hope this info is useful

Thank you Malcolm- this is the background I was hoping for. As mentioned, I bought the car at auction. Just a superficial look at the car and I knew that it had seen some track developement. I had no idea that the car had been to the RING...
I looked at the club website video section- it seems to be down at this time.
I will do a close inspection of the car when it arrives, but now have more confidence for running the car on track. We have a few circuits here in the Pacific Northwest, the old Seattle Int Raceway being one of the most challanging.
Your input is much appreciated.
The Griffith is still in the garage, but when on track at speed it feels like the doors are about to fall off.....
Many thanks,
Paul

Malcolm

Supporter
I was looking on you tube for the video and didn't find what I was looking for sorry. The one short video of about 2 mins does not show your car (mainly mine actually, gulf car plus on board footage!) but there is this link that may be of interest to a thread on this forum discussing the original video taken which is 14 minutes long.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gtd-40-car-club-forum/14564-gt40s-nurburg-ring-dvd.html

At that time Tony was claiming about 400 bhp. The car had adjustable sway bars and uprated dampers and springs but otherwise was fairly standard. The options to uprate a GTD back then were really limited compared to now. You can see the back of Tony's head in the opening shots of the ring video that is on U tube during the briefing at the start. He is standing to the right of Robin Batt giving our briefing after we came off the ferry.

Hi Ron- yep, thats the car. I found the dealers ad but didnot see the pistonhead discussion. Taillights are interesting alright.

I bought the car at auction. Now trying to figure out exactly what I bought. It has a "Roush" signed dashboard. Not sure what that means. The engine does sound sweet. Being that I never got to drive it I am hoping that the sweet sounding engine is still connected to the rear wheels.....etc, etc.
Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul:

Congrats on your new car. It'll probably be just fine. You'll have plenty of time to check it out, change what you don't like, fix what's broken and add your personal touch. It'll be fun and not so different from what everybody else does when they buy one of these...whether it's in boxes or built.

...and as far as the tail lights go, who cares whether they look funny to some (and cool to others), original or not. There are GT40s here, where people chop off the top to make it a convertible, want to add gull-wing doors, put 17" wheels on it, paint it lime green...all not "original" or not to everybody's taste. Does it matter? No, not as long as the person who owns and drives the car likes it.

Work on it, drive it and enjoy it!

Last edited:
Hi Ron- found the discussion on this car. Oh yeah..... late model beetle taillights. Of course! I will put a flower vase on the dash.. Seriuously, will be tweeking it for sure. Think it will be a hoot to drive.
cheers,
Paul

Back