Poll: Would You Swap Your '40 for a Ford GT?

Would you swap your '40 for a brand new Ford GT?

• Yes

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 66 59.5%

• Total voters

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Hypothetical question and poll. Given the opportunity, would you trade your '40 for a brand new GT? No money involved - even trade.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Would I be able to sell the new GT and then buy another GT40 and that Maserati Bora I've always wanted? If so, yes.

If I had to do a straight swap and keep the GT, I'd probably still keep the GT40. They're not the same kind of car and I still think there's something amazingly raw about an old GT40 compared to the new GT which is a great car, but (by necessity) too refined.

No way that I would trade my CAV GT40 for a Ford GT for the same reason that I would not consider a curvette,aka girly car this is not a typo or misspell thats cur as in dog. The other one is an old fart car.that's good considering that i am 70 years young going on 20 and one of the original california hot rodders back in the 1950's when sex was safe and hot rods were "dangerous".

Last edited:
After a ride at Willow in a new GT I would make the trade in a heart beat. It corners and stops without drama, it has an A/C that works when the car is sitting still and runs cool in traffic and stop and go traffic. My GTD almost does all of that but you are always nervous - will it overheat, should I turn of the A/C, do I have all the fans on? etc. I love my GTD and have lots of experience with it. I am 71 and would enjoy those little extra creature comforts and still run it at the track.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I'll answer it this way. If I could pick between and new GT and a GT40 built without any registration drama or a budget limit, or nearly so given what a new GT costs, I would rather have a GT40.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
That's an unfair pole:rolleyes: Who wouldn't want a new exotic and for similar reasons given by Bud. So "yes" was my answer but I would still buy or keep my GT40. The experience of having a streetable 60's race car is irreplacable for many reasons including the same reasons sited by Bud.

Tim, I agree.
The two cars don't (generally) command the same value, so I suspect anyone in their right mind would swap for the new one, enjoy the experience for a few months while having placed an order for another 40, then potentially sell the GT to build the new 40 when it arrives, and pocket some change too.
I know thats what I'd do anyway ;)

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
What I was interested in knowing, was whether some owners are disappointed in some way with their '40 build, and are longing for a more refined car, or one with more amenities. Perhaps some owners wouldn't want to admit this, or their reasons, in an open thread, hence the opportunity to cast an anonymous vote in a poll.

The comments made about swapping for a GT, then selling it and commencing a new '40 build are interesting. Although this strategy is probably skewing the numbers on the poll, it certainly shows a high level of loyalty to the GT40 platform over the GT.

If owners could cast their poll votes from the perspective of "would you prefer to have a GT over your '40" I'd appreciate it.

TIA,

John

John, I'd prefer to have both ! :p

Imo they are like chalk and cheese.
Its like asking a Ferrari 308 owner if they'd like a new 360.
Sure, most would jump at the chance for not only the refinement, but probably the value, status, ease of use, reduced age related maintainence, etc.

I'd love a new GT, but I can't justify tying up a further 150k GBP in a single car, and I certainly wouldn't finance that large a sum of money for a depreciating asset (fine for a house that generally gains more than the interest paid, not loses).
If they were the same price (i.e. 30k to 50k GBP) I'd have one in a heart beat.

Does that help ? ;)

Cheers,
John.

I dream about building a GT40.

The GT is a great car, a true world class exotic. But I am not personally interested in one, regardless of price.

An interesting thread!

I have a new GT which I rather like - however I also have a DBR Aston and a 1980 Aston (amongst other things), so have a little experience of old Vs new.

I was very politely knocked off the waiting list for the Ford GT a few years ago and so started to look quite seriously at building a GT40 replica - or I should say, have someone else build one for me as I am truely hopeless with spanners. Whilst I have not driven the GT40, I have chatted endlessly with those that have - also at 6'3" it's a bit tight.

As luck would have it, I happened to find a brand new GT for sale and bought that instead. I have tracked it at Goodwood a few times (was also at Le Mans for the Classic) as well as taking it on jaunts through France - it's a very useable 598bhp (550 is a modest 'estimation' according to Roush!) and has incredible torque. As previously mentioned, it's also quite comfortable - runs cool, not too stiff and a fairly mellow V8 exhaust tone (I couldn't drive my DBR for extended periods - too loud!).

Would I swap? No. Do I love the shape of the GT40? Yes, of course. Is the new GT close enough for me to the GT40? Yes. I also like the fact that it was built by Ford rather than me.... Would I consider a 40 to have in my garage alongside the GT? ;)

I'm not sure there's a valid comparison between the two - the GT40 is a raw track car, hot, mad, loud, stiff - wonderful!! The GT is a road car that's powerful enough to eat most things in a straight line on the track.

I'm not sure I've helped the debate!

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Easy - if you want a brutal, vicious & impractical race-car from the 60's (and all the pro's & con's that go with that), the GT40 is it. Sure, we all modify them to some degree in order to be able to live with them on the road, but the essence is still there - pure adrenalin !!

If you want a current top-line civilised road-going GT, it would be hard to beat the Ford GT for performance, road manners & value for money.

But, would I swap my 40 for a new GT - never ! My luxury cruiser desires will be satisfied by the old 71 Vette restoration, upgraded to BB/manual (RHD conversion renders the originality argument null & void, so what the hell - go for broke - literally) !! There is simply nothing in the new car scenario that would excite me - if my budget went ballistic, I would simply look further back in time for the true classics - cruising in an 8-litre Bentley from the 30's pretty much says it all !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

I personally will never.
Saw the ford GT in le mans, great cars..surely...but nothing matters with the real gt40.
lower..smaller and looking a lot more "bastard inside " than newer one.
And also the people there seems thinking as me...when Roy and me passed between people I personally saw the different effect we had in Ian car (and we were in the greatest mass of Ford gt ever seen).
No way..the older one is definitely too classic, nicer and special.

And dont think i will not be less nervous in traffic inside a ford gt than a a gtd or any other replica.
If well assembled and checked is probably also better than a new nice "plastic modern car".

I can ensure u all the ford gt40 is even nicer than the too expensive Bugatti Veyron..(Dave..our fuel filling near the bugatti...too nicer the 40 also there:D)

Paolo (gt40 integralist)

I haven't got my GT40 yet. Should have it and a big smile by summer.

If I wanted a comfy car I would drive my honda civic. If I want to enjoy the experience of driving I get in the porsche and soon I hope a GT40. Why in the world would I want a watered down sports car?

I'm not sure the Ford GT is a 'watered down' sports car - it's easily capable of over 210mph (on a track of course) and feels faster in many respects to the Murcielago I had before it. It doesn't have many driver aids either - stability control, traction control etc, so it's only vaguely civilised. If you're heavy footed it will get seriously out of shape.

I'd therefore feel confident in describing it as a sports car - as a note of interest, it's aluminium and carbon fibre, with a titanium alloy for the interior (rather than plastic).

Good luck with your GT40, I'm sure it'll be fabulous...

Neilda said:
I'm not sure the Ford GT is a 'watered down' sports car - it's easily capable of over 210mph (on a track of course) and feels faster in many respects to the Murcielago I had before it. It doesn't have many driver aids either - stability control, traction control etc, so it's only vaguely civilised. If you're heavy footed it will get seriously out of shape.

I'd therefore feel confident in describing it as a sports car - as a note of interest, it's aluminium and carbon fibre, with a titanium alloy for the interior (rather than plastic).

Good luck with your GT40, I'm sure it'll be fabulous...

Absolutely.

Those who think the new GT is not a world class sports car either (a) have never really been exposed to one or (b) have made up their mind before they have ever even see it. It has all the makings of a pure drivers car: no cup holders, no cruise control, no nav system, no electronic nanny traction control or anti skid, and almost no luggage space. It is incredibly fast, and very well balanced, and I have not read anyone's impression that it is not a fantastic car to drive. But it is a different beast than a GT40, more comfotable, roomy, sorta quiet (stock), easy to drive. It is truly a modern sports car with the styling of the original.

I think Ford did an amazing job building a car that really can be compared side to side with an F430 and a Gallardo and have it all come down to personal taste. Very impressive, considering both others have been in the arena for a long time - and not all attempts by either have been winners.

The new GT really only shares the shape with the replicas. Where the new GT can be compared to an F430, the GT40 is more like a 360 Challenge Stradale (race seats, 5 point restraints, no carpets or sound deadening, radio optional, loud exhaust, stiff and low, etc). Of course the CS trades used at around 200k. I bet you could build quite a 40 on that budget :)

I agree (of course!)....

I don't think a GT40 and a GT are really comparable at all (I guess it's fortunate that Ford did not pick up the rights to 'GT40' otherwise it would be terribly confusing). GT40's also involve (for many) the blood, sweat and tears of building the thing - so swapping it could never really be an option. The creation of a GT40 is a much more personal thing than the acquisition of a GT.

I've been fortunate to own a few 'supercars' (I dislike the word, but it's convenient) and I think the GT is either as competent or better in most areas. It's also a car that I wouldn't sell or exchange for anything else out there.... I just wished that Lamborghini had built the new Muira - I had a space in my garage waiting next to the GT!

Back