Polyurethane bushes for GTD

Rob Bromfield

GT40s Supporter
One of my jobs over the winter will be to replace the squidgy rubber bushes in all the standard A arms of my GTD with polyurethane bushes.
This must've been done before but a search of the forums doesn't reveal any postings.
So...
Are there any readily available parts that I can use or do I have to modify parts or even make my own?
Any help would be gratefully received.

Rob,

I think Brett is the man to speak to. He managed to negotiate a deal with powerflex. I'm sure he'll be able to shed more light on it.

Simon

To all who need details of the Powerflex bushes.

These have been available for years now and can be obtained direct from Mathew Atkins at EPTG Ltd on 01 895460033 or fax 01 895 520095.

You need Part number PF99-110 universal bush 26mm x 50mm.

Tell him that Graham @ GTA Racing recommended you and you should get discount as i was the original guinea pig for these bushes and many sets have been supplied with great success.

Always use plenty of Copperslip and a soft jaw vice or clamp when fitting the bushes to the wishbones and do trial fit each one to your body or upright mounts so that you can trim or adjust accordingly. Out of dozens of these i,ve fitted rarely do they just fall into place. The bushes are spot on...it,s the brackets or wishbone tubes that are out !!

Once fitted its unlikely you will ever have any problems again.

Regards,

Graham @ GTA.

Sorry, i see that Dave mentions KVA and Dax.

I have not rebushed the latter but ALL KVA,s i,ve come across have larger diameter bush tubes so they will have to be sleeved to take the new bushes.

EPTG do not manufacture a bush of the right proportions so you will have to sleeve your bush tubes, make new wishbones or turn up your own bush kits.

Graham.

Rob, the biggest difficulty in doing this job is removing the old rubber busshes, several good vices have been destroyed pushing bushes out of the GTD tubes. We have a custom made hydraulic ram that does the job easily. Frank

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Graham,
yesI see that the dimensions are different. The Dax Bush Tube is 35mm ID and 48mm wide. FWIW I got my bushes from Superflex, SPF0914/14 with stainless bolt sleeve. They look the same style as the ones on the Powerflex site. Bush dimensions are 36.4mm OD, 22mm ID .

Frank, I'll attest to the difficulty of removing the original bushes, I used a gear puller, but you have to be safety concious and do it right.

Dave

91740Gt said:
Always use plenty of Copperslip and a soft jaw vice or clamp when fitting the bushes to the wishbones and do trial fit each one to your body or upright mounts so that you can trim or adjust accordingly. Out of dozens of these i,ve fitted rarely do they just fall into place. The bushes are spot on...it,s the brackets or wishbone tubes that are out !!quote]

Hey Graham,
Long time no speak. Roy Smart liked my idea when I put my bushes in. Strong arm and a solo clamp pushes the bushes in nicely. As for the KVA bushes, before I sold mine on I used the Powerflex Rear Sierra TCA bush that fitted perfectly.

Rob,
Powerflex do do a club discount, but I'll have to dig the details out from somewhere, however, give them a ring asnd say GT40EC (provided you are a member) and they normally offer a bit off.

Brett

Rob Bromfield

GT40s Supporter
Thanks for the info people.
Part numbers and good advice on how to fit them!
Guess I'm going to be busy soon.

Merry Xmas everybody!

Just out of interest, Mathew Atkins no longer works at Powerflex and they no longer sell directly to the public, they will ONLY sell through their agents.
Simon

Another update, their agents seem to be pretty hopeless and the price has gone UP now, I paid (about) £120 for a set for my blue car, they are now looking at just over £305 for a full set!!!!!

Hi Howard,
They don't sell a set any more, you have to buy individually at £9.95 each (plus VAT at 17.5%) and of course postage
Simon

Back