Porsche 930 Starter Predicament

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Randy,

It'll be hard to tell exactly as things are in my garage, but I think it'll make it. It has room to be clocked and can be clocked around another 15 degrees or so which might help it miss anything if there is an issue.

All in all if this works I'd say for RCR Lolas w/930 this is a good engine position. It puts the engine in the center of the deck when the deck is properly aligned on the body and it tucks the transaxle up under the rear clam shell pretty well. Also appears to align the CV joint flanges well. Might be a hassle but I think it turns out ok.

Hope to get some time to get on it after this week and I knock some house projects out.

R

I like your solution to the problem. I only see one problem with the pics, and that may just be an optical thing. But it looks like the mounting hole is in line with the body of the starter. So I think there may be a problem getting a bolt into position. Is it me or is it real!! The stock 930 starter is not clockable, but since i got mine free, I will be adding ears to my starter to fit the two standard holes. My trans supplier suggested the very thing you guys are doing or adding the ears. Since I am on a diet, I will go with the cheaper alternative. Even with the solenoid in the upper position, my engine is so low, that I had to notch the frame so it would clear. My oil pan is level with the bottom of the space frame.

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Bill,

That bolt can come from the other side. So, a short bolt comes through the flange there, into the starter, and is secured with a nut. You are correct in that you couldn't get a bolt through from the starter side. the bottom mounting hole is free and clear.

I've got a guy working on the "ears" right now. If he hasn't the time or I don't have the money (HaHa!!), then I will get the fine details from you and got the IHI route. It looks much nicer than the original starters. Bet it is a lot lighter too...

Bill

Ron Earp

Admin
It was "only" around $240 as I recall. A normal starter is around $180-$200. It has to be 5lbs lighter than the OEM piece at least.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
You can also solve the problem like Ron mentioned, but with a threaded stud into the one ear that will not normally be accessabe and put a nut on the back side of the bell housing (or just thread the ear if it wan't already drilled too big). Then move the stud to the other. Or just get the starter Ron has ;-)

Sandy

Back