Porsche G50/52 Side Cover Question...

Kim Haun

Supporter
Hello! A question for those with 930 transaxle experience. I purchased a new G50/52 transaxle that had been modified for inverted use.(Powerhouse) After the modification it sat for 10 years before I purchased it and installed and ran it. As soon as I put oil in it and drove it a bit it developed a small drip that is coming from the side cover. I've driven the car for 1400 miles thus far with no slowing or increasing of the leak. I finally decided to fix it and tore into it yesterday and removed the cover. I don't see any apparent sealing surface damage but it looks like a small bit of silicone sealer was used on the o ring. My thinking is that the o ring was compromised by the combination of the silicone and the length of time it sat on the shelf. My question is, besides replacing the o ring are there any tricks I can use to help with the sealing of the cover. I'd like this to be a one and done deal. A lot goes into getting access to the cover and getting it off so I'm up for whatever it takes to insure a better seal. Um, besides buying one of the fancy reinforced covers that will make my wallet weep. :)

Kim

Kim Haun

Supporter
Thanks Howard, that may be the way to go. I should’ve thought of that yesterday. I have the O-ring and would like to button this up over the weekend… I’ll give them a ring and see if they’re in the shop today.

Kim Haun

Supporter
Apparently, Powerhaus is no longer in business. The phone number connects with a business that deals in Porsche but they are not open over the weekend. Anyone else that can give me guidance, it sure would be helpful. I’m curious as to why there was some silicone sealer on the O-ring and whether that’s common practice. Again, it wasn’t much but it was there. Thanks!

Neil

Supporter
My guess was that someone did not have a proper replacement o-ring and tried to make the old one seal.

Kim Haun

Supporter
New developement...I received the new o ring and cleaned the old one to compare. After cleaning and closer inspection, I found that what I thought was dried silicone on the old seal was actually some slices on the outside of the O ring. On comparing the 2 O rings, the older one is larger in diameter. The new one stretches into place with a little effort and sticks out from the grove enough to suggest it will still have sealing capabilities. I'm guessing the old gasket was too big and was sliced on the edge of the diff housing when installed. Your guess was pretty close there Neil! Either the wrong seal or a stretched out old one. I'm going to take some emory cloth and take away some of the sharpness of the diff housing to keep from cutting the new seal...just in case. Thanks for chipping in Gentlemen!

Kim

Back