Porsche G50 Clutch

I have attempted to find a post I saw some time ago but I cant find it. The post or thread explained the procedure for installing the clutch into a Porsche G50 XX and how to make use of an elastic band and gaffa tape to hold the release fork temporarily in place. Can someone help out here. Thanks.

Gday Troy

I have the engine in the Chassis as we speak. And what Im looking at when I have the engine, and in particular the gearbox, as low as they can go and in an acceptable position front to back are FIVE points that have about 10mm of clearance.

The area where the sump curves over the chassis cross member is the one area that I would consider modifying. Cutting off the corner of the tube and welding in a fillet would help a tiny bit may be 8mm of adjustment in the engine position but that would be enough.

I would prefer not to cut or modify anything. That leads me to an entirely different question. How much does an engine vibrate, that is how much distance dos it move, when it is being used. Maybe I have to put that question in its own post.

For reference, here is my cross member under the sump. From memory there is around 15mm clearance for me, but solid mounting the engine and trans means no movement. Also, I'm stumping up for one of the structural ARE Dry Sump systems used on the LeMans Corvettes.

Mine is in at the moment too. Am having a new trans adapter plate cnc machined to incorporate transmission and suspension control arm pick-ups. Attached is the 3D model. It hard mounts to the chassis structure, and should stiffen the back up even more.

What are you doing for engine mounts?

Attachments

• DSC03537.jpg
    DSC03537.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 236
  • New Adapter Plate GT40 - WORKINGS-Model.jpg
    New Adapter Plate GT40 - WORKINGS-Model.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 245
Troy

Thats a hell of a car your putting together. Just out of curiosity roughly what is the cost of the ARE sump?

The engine mount is a after market mount designed I think for the fitting of an Ls1-2 into an old sedan. The RF chassis that I have has a massive engine bay which means I have to 'pack out' these mounts using something like you see here.

Attachments

• P1000908-1.jpg
    P1000908-1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCN7617.jpg
    DSCN7617.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 245
The complete ARE dry sump kits cost from around US$3300 to US$3800 depending on type of pump you want. I'm going for 4 stage (3 scavenge, 1 pressure). Others just scavenge and use the engine's internal pump for pressure.

Have a look at www.drysump.com (there is a full section just for the LS series engines)

My engine bay is the RF1 type - much narrower. I just wish I had that problem of having to pack out space for my engine mounts! lol

Back