Porsche transaxle - gbox or CMS?

Is one of these 2 places better to buy a porsche transaxle from, or are they about the same for level of workmanship?

Um, why in the world would you need a transaxle? Isn't that sort of like putting the cart before the horse:rolleyes::jester:

Um, why in the world would you need a transaxle? Isn't that sort of like putting the cart before the horse:rolleyes::jester:

NEVER has a saying been so appropriate. I damn near choked on my 3am sammich from laughing so hard, then to have Mark follow it up with a double whammy is just poetic.

I've said it to others before but Alex, one day I need to make the effort to actually meet you and say hello in person.

Back on topic, why not the Griff?

Am I wrong, but does Griffin even have a box for sale right now or just the idea of one? I would love to have a 6speed in my upcoming project that was very affordable.

I think sourcing the difficult to find parts up front is a good idea. It took an average 30 days to buy, have rebuilt and obtain all the flywheel, clutch, starter ancillaries etc. And, I ended up spending about $3k more than originally budgeted. If you're working on a tight budget - I'd start now - also considering that you have planned on a very aggressive blitz time build.

Alex, I had a good experience with CMS building my 50/52. Very informative, straightforward, timely and good communication. I have no experience with GBox (Eric?) other than getting an initial quote from him. He also seemed to be a standup guy and very informative and neither minded taking the time to answer my many questions. Both were the same price for a basic rebuild iirc. In the end I opted for CMS because of the aftermarket selection of components they produce and would install.

Does GBox (Eric?) still exist? For some reason I thought he moved/bought into CMS???

Howard Jones

Supporter
I bought my grbx from CMS also. Transaction went as expected without any suprises. Delivery was on time and all parts bought, came as expected and all together. Price remained as quoted.

I was down in the area and stoped in to talk to them. Shop was professional, clean and busy. They spent as much time with me as I needed. We went througt many gear ratios and ran gear/speed charts for several combinations. In the end I got just what I wanted.

The grbx is in the car now but I have not run the car yet.

All in all, I am happy with CMS in every respect. I recomend them.

I have not done business with GBox. I did talk with Eric once and he seamed to be informed and helpful. I selected CMS based on my visit to them and not on an negitive reaction to GBox.

I went with Gbox. Stanley is on the ball. :thumbsup:

I received my quote from Eric at CMS??? Not sure what's going on there...

I don't think you would go wrong with either one, but I had a great experience working with Stan from Gbox when he had my g97/50. He was honest and saved me from spending thousands unnecessarily upgrading parts that were not needed.

Rare in the transaxle business.

There is also Mendeola, not sure if that's affordable enough though.
Ka-Ching! Better have a deep wallet or a sugar momma. As I recall, that transaxle cost more than two of my engines.

I think the gearbox that is used in the 01 car is a 96/96 GT3. As I understand the griffin will be used soon as it is available.

Back