Price increase for Superformance GT's

Hi All !
I have to say BRAVO ! to Alan in Nevada. It all boils down to the fact that no matter what you do, or how much you spend on ANY replica, thats all it will ever be ..... just a replica. " CONTINUATION CARS " are not real GT 40's and never will be. Thats why I think Fran Hall has it wrapped up perfectly. A great visual representation that affords excellent value and performance. If I were going to speculate in this game I would bet that if a competent builder, built one of Mr Hall's cars, they could make a profit on it when completed, if done on a tight budget. I know its NOT about making money, its a hobby to most. If I had 100k to complete an SPF 40, I would pull the trigger on the difference and buy a much better car and get the Ford GT. It WILL go up in value. But if money is of no consequence, pony up and buy the real mcoy.
;)
S

As a past owner of the last ''original '' GT40 chassis # 1086, several Lola T70's , and having spent cubic money on rebuilding/ restoring them, I think 85K for a car done right and properly under license is a deal. If that's what it takes to achieve the level of quality and produce such an accurate recreation .... I say.... Well done you!

Spyder, Brookings..... We currently have 7 alloy bodied CSX4000 cars in the shop, but I can't wait to get my hands on a SPF right hand drive Mk1. I think they have done a great job.

peterjank said:
I think you are mis-informed with regard to Ford's intent with the GT program. Ford never intended to produce enough cars to satisfy demand at the MSRP. The intent was to reward their best dealers with a car they could (1) use as a halo car to draw people into their dealerships and (2) mark-up and sell at a huge profit. I heard this directly from the sales manager at my local Ford dealer when I spoke with him about being placed on a waiting list for the GT in 2002. The sales manager compared it to Ford's revival of the Thunderbird. A limited production run designed to allow the dealers to extract a markup.

As you say, the overall effect was to sour me on purchasing any car from Ford. Lucky for me, I ran into Fran Hall and learned about Race-Car-Replicas.

One of my friends was intimately involved with the design and development of the Ford GT. He was basically 'the guy' that sorted out the engine problems initially (the original motor was based on the Ford Lightning and would blow up catastrophically), and later was involved with the 'fix' during the big engine recall.

You are right on your first point--they were designed to give Ford generally, and dealers specifically, publicity and foot-traffic through the door. They were NOT created to be a huge cash cow for the dealers to sell at extortion prices.

The entire business model of the car was based upon the notion of selling 4500 cars before changing laws legislated them out of existence. Remember, Ford doesn't make a DIME more, when a dealer charges 2x the MSRP to the customer. Due to the weird laws in our country, manufacturers are prohibited from selling automobiles to individuals. Instead, they are forced to sell them to distributors or dealers, who then in turn mark them up and sell them to individuals.

Believe me, Ford was NOT marking up the cars when selling them to the distributors/dealers. All that profit was happening downstream of Ford. So, because only 2500-ish cars were built before the whole affair collapsed, Ford financially got clobbered. Admittedly, the program was probably never going to be a money-making affair anyway (although management didn't sign off on the program until it was demonstrated that it would be), but for sure, it has lost much more than it was supposed to.

Oh, and BTW now you can easily buy a brand new Ford GT at well UNDER MSRP from numerous dealers--in many cases, the same dealers who refused offers OVER the MSRP for these same cars. I have several friends who were turned away by their dealer when they made a reasonable offer over MSRP, who recently got phone calls from the dealer informing them of the 'opportunity' to now buy the car at the price they had offered.

Each of them said 'no thanks', several of them in language not suitable for this forum.

As an aside, the demographic for the new Ford GT and an original-ish GT40 have almost no crossover. If you want a really fantastic modern exotic car, the GT40 is not for you. And if you want a true 60's racing icon, the Ford GT is not for you.

Oh, and a special thanks to Jimmy for offering an argument for the price increase. One thing about SPF that really impresses me is the fact that the human beings that are running the company are so willing to work with, and communicate with their customer base (and potential customer base, and even potentially alienated customer base).

I have never bought a new car in my life. For some time I thought the SPF would be my first new car. Unless things change, it will likely wind up being my next used car, somewhere down the road. I have a feeling they will depreciate slowly, and at some point will get down to where I thought they would be in the first place.....

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
SpyderMike said:
So CliffBeer,

What does a new CAV go for these days?

I went SPF over CAV because the CAV price escalated as I was trying to put my "deal" together and the SPF was actually less expensive on paper at the time I bought.

At the time I put a deposit on a SPF it was $65k delivered with A/C and set up for for my desired options. I have a quote from CAV then for close to the same price as the SPF, but then I was told I would have to pay for shipping and customs charges. I chose the SPF because it was closer to the original in design, and, more importantly to me, because I thought the Hi-Tech facility was more capable of delivering the product at a quality level I was expecting. Keep in mind this was early 2005. This was around the time that CAV went under and resurfaced.

I am glad for the decision I made then. I don't know what I would do now.

Regards,
Mike

Hi Mike,

I believe currently the SPF is about $10,000 or more than the CAV. The CAV basic roller sans engine/gear box w/o AC is around $60,000. Throw in AC and leather and I think it's around $67,000.

It's clear I think to all that when you made your deal the delta was pretty small. However, I believe the original focus of this thread was commentary on the current pricing of the SPF post-price increase. My point was merely a comment upon the increased delta (v. the CAV) as a result of the increase.

Sounds like you got a good deal on your SPF.

Trond, Hi and we are really pleased to see you enjoying your car so much

Jerry, Thanks for the kind words. You obviously Know exactly what it takes to build one. Thankyou!

Spyder Mike, Thakyou for believing in us and Mike D, Don't leave it to late as we only get one ticket to this game
Regards

HiTech, I think one of the things people need to realize is that SPF went about this project in what appears to me as the ''right way''. i.e. going through the effort to license the building of the car through the legal holder of the name and copyright .... giving credit where credit is due... rather than ripping it off as so many have done to Shelby. Second if your tub/ chassis is as accurate as I think it is from viewing the pix I feel sorry for anyone who has 2 to 300K in a Tennant Panels chassis ''replica'' . Perhaps I am missing something ... and maybe this should be the subject of a new thread , but absent owning an original Abbey Panels chassis car , numbered by FAV or JW Engineering are not all the rest just ''replicas'' of one degree or another?

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Who knows what the official definition is of a "continuation" car as determined by independent sanctioning bodies? And, if the official definition attaches it to the original in some form, should it add value? If so, that may be a platform for either a price increase or a premium to other options in the market.

Who has the official definition and can it be referenced via the internet?

I believe Shelby started the "continuation" idea with his CSX numbered, accurately built, "clones" for want of a better word. The FIA have also started promoting a similar thing by creating a set of rules under their "appendix K". Lola have recently built 6 approved T70 that conform to these rules and sell for about 260000 pounds each. We have stated that we believe that our cars fitted with a compliant drivetrain will also meet those regs. apart from our use of aluminium alloy in the wheels and hubs as opposed to the magnesium of the originals. We are only waiting for sufficient demand to justify the cost of that tooling before launching our FIA version. It is, I believe, also a requirement to have the support of the legal holder of the brand name rights hence our tie up with Safir Engineering. Regards

60-61 said:
Who knows what the official definition is of a "continuation" car as determined by independent sanctioning bodies?

Who has the official definition and can it be referenced via the internet?
I don't know if there is an official definition of the term "continuation" car outside of FIA's or some other racing governing body's rules, but a car that would fit the strictest definition of the term historically would be those cars being made again by the same concern that manufactured the original car during the car's original racing period.

An example would be the Chaparral 2E high-wing again being made by Jim Hall & Co. (Chaparral Official Web Site. I believe the cars are, or were a few months ago, being marketed at $80,000 for a roller. At least that's what I heard at a historic racing event.)

And as Hi-Tech Auto mentioned, another would be the Lotus T70 Mark 3B being manufactured again by Lotus, and which is a much more expensive item. (http://www.lolaheritage.co.uk/email/t70launch/T70Mk3Cbrochure.pdf)

Of course, the car would also have to meet design and mechanical criteria as referenced to the original car, and that's probably primarily where the rules kick in.

60-61 said:
And, if the official definition attaches it to the original in some form, should it add value? If so, that may be a platform for either a price increase or a premium to other options in the market.
That would probably be determined by the marketplace. Unless you plan on racing the car under the FIA's purveyance in Europe, it would be of no value to you.

As some know, a year or so ago the FIA in Europe created a provision to allow such new-manufactured "vintage/historic" cars to be raced in vintage and historic races that fall under their purveyance. This has since been met with a virulent negative reaction from those that race original cars in these events. (This is a whole story in itself.) A week or so ago I read a short blurb in one of the Brit car magazines (Octane, I think) that the FIA is back-pedaling on and re-thinking the issue, and may change their view on the new/vintage-historic race car's participation in these events. It appears that "the jury is still out" on exactly what the FIA is going to do about these cars.

When I mentioned the FIA's position on new-manufactured/vintage-historic race cars in their historic races to the Historic Motor Sports Association when I communicated with them a few months ago (see my posting above) they were aware of it, but didn't see how it pertained to them. To them, a vintage race car is just that. Others need not apply. So whatever happens in Europe probably isn't going to influence what happens over here in the sport, at least in the near to medium term. I guess we can run against Corvettes and such in SCCA and NASA.

Last edited:

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Alan in Nevada said:
When I mentioned the FIA's position on new-manufactured/vintage-historic race cars in their historic races to the Historic Motor Sports Association when I communicated with them a few months ago (see my posting above) they were aware of it, but didn't see how it pertained to them. To them, a vintage race car is just that. Others need not apply. So whatever happens in Europe probably isn't going to influence what happens over here in the sport, at least in the near to medium term. I guess we can run against Corvettes and such in SCCA and NASA.

Good information. It looks like the FIA attempts to direct vintage races into a specific time period, with specific factories, manufactured by specific individuals. It seems they're using some of the parameters found in the art world - the idea being if you own a Renoir painted by one guy at a certain point in history using specified materials, you own a Renoir. So, just like art, beauty and value is in the eye of the beholder. That gets really subjective! For my purposes, if Hi-Tech can help me with a car that picks up right where the previous art (car) stopped while using modern techniques that are applied to Ford, Ferrari, Toyota and others, I will pay a premium because I want to get rolling now. However, on a personal note, I absolutely must get a rolling chassis from one of our forum supporters and do a '40 with my own hands. It will probably later rather than sooner due to business obligations.

60-61 said:
Good information. It looks like the FIA attempts to direct vintage races into a specific time period, with specific factories, manufactured by specific individuals. It seems they're using some of the parameters found in the art world - the idea being if you own a Renoir painted by one guy at a certain point in history using specified materials, you own a Renoir.
Yes. In fact, the FIA is starting a database for all historic race cars ever made just to administrate this issue. It should be quite a project.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
I am unclear as to the continuation numbering for the Superformance cars. I thought it was an option which carried an additional cost. Can you purchase a Superformance car without the Safir number?

Lola built 5 continuation cars in 1979 as well T70Mk3B , all of which have been vintage raced in the US and abroad. And all of which I believe have been passed off by their owners at one time or another as cars built in 1969. At least 2 of them have run HMSA events including the highly coveted Monterey Historics. I think the 1979 Lola T70Mk3B cars are the purist definition of a continuation car .... built by the original constructor to original production specs after the era .I think one can give creedance to cars built under license to original specs. I don't think you can compare it to the art world as a great artist could not really grant a license to some one to paint for him and have the art world accept it. I think a more reasonable anology/ comparison would be like the Browning Gun Co. building the Superposed shotgun in Belgium ,discontinued in the late 60's then reintroduced years later due to demand. I don't think a reasonable person could question Shelby, Lola or Jim Hall's right to produce a continuation car. The sad thing as I see it is the fact that due to greed and fraud on the part of some there are probably only about 50 of the original 16 Lola T70Mk3B's built left.

jerryweichers said:
The sad thing as I see it is the fact that due to greed and fraud on the part of some there are probably only about 50 of the original 16 Lola T70Mk3B's built left.
Bwhahahaha!!!

This is exactly why the FIA is creating the extensive and detailed database of all know race cars, including their history and chain of ownership. Everybody knows there's bogus cars that have been allowed in vintage/historic racing.

Back