Private Messages.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
P.M.s aren't really 100% "private" here or on any other forum 'far as I know. They're just not 'viewable' by everybody.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
PM’s in Xenforo (our forum software) are now called “Conversations”.
I can assure you that they can only be viewed by the sender and designated receiver.
Unless someone successfully hacks your password and logs in as you, your Conversations are, indeed, private.

Ron Earp

Admin
I can assure you Admins can't view your conversations. We have no back door into user accounts here (we didn't on VB either). Seems the software is quite secure in this regard.

Im disapointed Cliff, I thought a careful purchaser like you would at least take a trip to Mexico to test drive the ED pills before splashin out the cash!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
PM’s in Xenforo (our forum software) are now called “Conversations”.
I can assure you that they can only be viewed by the sender and designated receiver.
Unless someone successfully hacks your password and logs in as you, your Conversations are, indeed, private.
I can assure you Admins can't view your conversations. We have no back door into user accounts here (we didn't on VB either). Seems the software is quite secure in this regard.

'Good to know. That's not been the case on other forums to which I belong...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What software do they run? VB and Xenforo are two of the most popular packages and if they aren't intentionally cracked they should be very secure.

'Have no idea, Ron. I'm not a 'techy'!

I only know there have been comments made by admins (and non-admins as well on a couple of occasions) on forums to which I belong wherein posts that were made by this-or-that member IN P.M.s ONLY were referenced by said admins very shortly thereafter. On two occasions they were MINE...and I'd only made said comments in P.M.s shortly before...'wasn't time to have come from 'the grapevine.'

So, from then on, anything I've wanted to say to whomever more-or-less 'in private' I've sent via email.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
On the old software there were what appeared to be two types of message, one which you logged into your user CP first and then sent a message to whoever these appeared to remain private, and the other was like a conversation and anyone looking at your user profile could see the second type.

I cannot see the second type in use / available to use any more.

Perhaps people are confused between the two

Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Actually just cracked the second variety here.

Click on the users icon
Click on the icon on the box that pops up
You can now see conversations

Ron you have two from 2008

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Yep, the old forum had the private and public communications too. Nothing new there, although different forums call them different names.

forums to which I belong wherein posts that were made by this-or-that member IN P.M.s ONLY were referenced by said admins very shortly thereafter. On two occasions they were MINE...and I'd only made said comments in P.M.s shortly before...'wasn't time to have come from 'the grapevine.'

I can't say for sure, but I suspect when you replied you didn't notice that other names were on the "Reply to" section of the message. Forum software is pretty robust in these regards.

Nevertheless, we admins nor normal users can see your private messages here at GT40s.com.

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I can't say for sure, but I suspect when you replied you didn't notice that other names were on the "Reply to" section of the message.

'Darned if I know, Ron. The P.M.s I referred to were sent on other forums and were addressed specifically to ONE person only. I don't recall ever seeing any 'send-message-to-the-universe' icon to push in either case. Buuuuuut, who knows...

Anyway, as I mentioned, the situations I referred to happened on other forums...which is why I stated, "P.M.s aren't really 100% "private" here or on any other forum 'FAR AS I KNOW." I figured forums in general were set up that way based on past experiences...and I'm going to continue to consider that's the case ON OTHER forums. ;)

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Now you have my curiosity up... What is this other forum - I’d like to check it out....

Back