PS Engineering 17" BRM Wheels

Re: PS Engineering 17\" BRM Wheels

Some people think that a GT40 only looks right with 15" rims. What looks right is in the eyes of the beholder. My car has 17" halibrands and after looking at my car everyday with 17"s, believe me, it starts to look right. The real reason for 17" inch rims is for tire selection.

The tire selection does not give reason to the necessity of 17 inch wheels.

16 inch wheels have 255/50's and 225/50's - a very good balance.

More rubber is really only necessary for track work. But then of course you can use slicks.

Many people believe that huge wheels look great on a 40. Well I totally disagree. You also end up ruining any original or authentic feel that you might realise from a fatter tyre.

The lower the profile of the tyre the less forgiving too.

Granted the wheels look great, but not for me.

Regards,

J.P

[ QUOTE ]
Many people believe that huge wheels look great on a 40. Well I totally disagree. You also end up ruining any original or authentic feel that you might realise from a fatter tyre.

[/ QUOTE ]

JP, have you ever heard of a gentleman named John Wyer and his Gulf cars?

Howard Jones

Supporter

Comeon JP, the guy has some really nice wheels on his car. Mine are in transit as I write this. Oh and the size of tires and wheels on a car are sort of are like women. Some like big blonds, some like small redheads, so whos right?

And I disagree with 255's on the back those little tires look funny. So there.

[/ QUOTE ]

JP, have you ever heard of a gentleman named John Wyer and his Gulf cars?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the late uncle John?

I am referring to the wheel diameter.

I'll rephrase for you.

I think anything above 17inch looks wrong.

Width is good, if you have the power to go with it.

Regards,

J.P

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

All,
Sorry boys, but I think we are spraying like tom cats again.
Think on, those 17 inchers ain't BRM's - no matter what lens you want to use as the rims are too thin and are a revision to the original pattern, just like most our cars. They are very nice looking well engineered wheels, granted.
I would much prefer the 15" original pattern and I've only purchased 16 inchers for availabilty of legal rubber in the UK.
Personal choices blondes or brunettes? Who cares here? - too complex.
And yes, JP and myself know of John Wyer, he also lived just right up the road from us.

jimmymac-words spoken well. these are in fact replicas. with our own interpretations.I like what i've got, you like what you've got.

I have seen some original Gt40s that look BUTT UGLY and yes they had 15s on them. I have seen some Replicas that look ,,,(ditto).

IMHO all 15” wheels with skinny tires look horrible (Bud Jones, yours is an exception to this rule, because you are my budd!). I also don't care about John Wyer, Carol Shelby, Henry Ford or any other used car sales man, Old or new.

Now 15s with fat tires and I mean fat not 255s-275s, look delicious. And no, I couldn’t care less If it is not good for handling.

Denis, your wheels look great, Howard, call me the day you get them so I can come over and razz you with “Ohhhh those 17s they just are despicable, how could you?”
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

“Authentic”, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif “period correct”, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif what the hell?! I thought what was in my gararge was a KIT CAR.

15" but are they 'FAT' enough?

Attachments

• 30185-15Inches&Fat.JPG
    30185-15Inches&Fat.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 421

Simply delicious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bicycle tires they are NOT

Paul, Million years ago, I sent you (or the owner of this car)a PM regarding that under panel (dimentions ,,etc). Is there a proprietary issue here,,,,Is this panel part of the SPARES REGISTRY?!!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

whatever the wheels are the big meat makes it. looks great. Smoke em!!!

Hi Faili -

Not too sure whether Roy has drawing or not - I'll check next weekend when we fire her up. The rear has changed (again) so here are a few pics.
FHRear1.JPG

FHRear2.JPG

and now with engine/box installed
FHRear3.JPG

FHRear4.JPG

FHRear5.JPG

If he has not got a plan for it - I can take some measurements if that helps - let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Denis -
Tyres were a bit soft at time - but check Light-Em up out on the vide page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why go to 17"s? 315 35 YR 17s rear, 245 45 yr 17s front. I think 17" look great on a GT40, but that's because I have 17" on my car. On the other hand, if I ever build a Cobra replica it will get 15" because 17" don't look right on a Cobra. To each his own.

Paul,
Thanks a bunch, these pictures are great. they give me the full view of the panels. It also points out how different each GTD can be. I didn't realize the panel was rivited, I thought it was removable.

I think I am better off designing my own panel. The rear of my GTD is different and therfore drawings would not realy help.

Thanks again for great photos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter

I can see from your pictures I have a lot of work to do! I love this stuff!

My wife just called me at work and she reports that there are 4 big boxes on my doorstep. My wheels are here!!!!!

YA HOO!!!!!

I will post pictures ASAP.

I'm trying to get in touch with phil @ ps engineering from the uk - I tried 001-213-534-4477 which I got from an earlier post, but doesn't seem to work. The 001 is for calling the states from the uk - anybody know the number.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Try 310-534-4477 with whatever international prefix is necessary. Your example would therefor be 001-310-534-4477. As a note when I call him from here in calif. I must add a 1 before the area code which makes it 1-310-534-4477. Anyway this number is correct, I talked to him last friday.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Mine arrived today, Here they are.

Attachments

• 30364-wheel1a.jpg
    30364-wheel1a.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 478

Howard Jones

Supporter

Another shot, The last time I spoke with Phil I asked him if it would be OK to quote the cost. He said it would be OK so here it is. Wheels are $1870 - $1900 per set USD. Adapters with pins and spinners are $1000 USD.

If you have any other questions you will have to ask Phil. I should say that I have no business relationship with Phil or PS Engineering, although I count him as a friend.

Attachments

• 30366-wheel2a.jpg
    30366-wheel2a.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 409
Back