Pulled apart my fuel tank and...WOW

Just to clarify some things-

I did not purchase the tanks. I purchased the entire kit once removed from the widow of the guy who bought it in 2001 and died before doing much work to it. So the tanks are circa 2001. The fact that I did not pay for the tanks and have them shipped over, plus that I had to cut them open anyway for EFI....takes the sting out of it somewhat. I'd be a bit more upset if I was in Bob's position...

I'm aware of how fast the foam degrades, especially with ethanol. There's now some excellent information on this thread that I had to piece together from all over the internet and other threads back when I did my homework on tank baffling and such. The foam was coming out regardless...it was just a rude surprise to see that it might not have been much use new. The cost of filling with foam, especially obvious CASTOFF foam of 4 different colors/structures/types, is pretty insulting at 200 pounds, I thought, which is why I posted this to begin with.

I have had trouble with the GTD tanks and running efi. These were filled with the explosafe ( compacted Ali swarf ) and they have caused no end of grief with bunged up pre filters. EFI pumps circulate the fuel so fast it tends to keep dragging what seems to be a never ending supply of swarf into the filters. The tanks also need to be over half full most of the time despite baffles to keep the fuel around the pick up pipe and stop the HP pump cavitating . I am on the second car at the moment and I am thinking along the lines of a small sump in the bottom of the tank and then using an LP pump to feed a swirl pot that the efi pump can draw from.

Bob

Back