Quaife ZFQ and RBT

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
.... the common goal.. A bullet proof transaxle that can handle 700 foot pounds of torque...Alan.. I will be calling griffin to get some concrete information. But the 900 series ss five speed seems pretty sick on the surface....will do some homework. Nice to meet all u guys.

700? Not sure how "common" that goal is......Is this going into an GT40? If so you might want to don your virtual fire suit. A guy a while back wanted to know how to get to 200 mph on a closed circuit and that conversation fell apart pretty fast. And then there was George who wanted to go after a land speed record or achieve a stationary orbit or something. :laugh:

BTW there is also Mendeola in San Diego; haven't heard much about them recently but they make/made a transaxle (SDR5) popular in FFR GTMs that has been put into at least one SPF after a little hacking.

And finally the T44 Jac mentions used in the recent run of Mk IVs was made by Jerico which is where Mike Teske will send you, I believe. Jerico Performance

Last edited:

Keith

;) Mine is bigger than yours...............

Ok, I'll play - it may be bigger but does it have more than 700 feet pounders, and a special polymer coated metal elasticated serial tri bearing coaxial spigot coupling with hypoid beverlys? I figure I could go from nought to shit myself in under 2 seconds with that rig.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ok, I'll play - it may be bigger but does it have more than 700 feet pounders, and a special polymer coated metal elasticated serial tri bearing coaxial spigot coupling with hypoid beverlys? I figure I could go from nought to shit myself in under 2 seconds with that rig.

No, but my Knuten Valve is unobtanium!

I am sure my bench is faster than yours................

Keith

No, but my Knuten Valve is unobtanium!

I am sure my bench is faster than yours................

<Gasp> A Knuten Valve :stunned:

Maybe I'll race you tomorrow.......or another day...

From Another Forum related to overheating and the most popular answer:

The ticking noise sounds like the knuten valve is sticking. You need to get a water hammer and a left handed 3mm torx driver and pound the knuten valve with the torx driver to the clock-wise counter-clock wise. If that don;t work then you'll need to go to the auto parts store and purchase an EPA-approved knuten valve

The oozez from around the head gasket is because the blinker fluid reservoir is overfilled and needs to be drained.

Last edited:

Steve

Supporter
<Gasp> A Knuten Valve :stunned:

Maybe I'll race you tomorrow.......or another day...

From Another Forum related to overheating and the most popular answer:

The ticking noise sounds like the knuten valve is sticking. You need to get a water hammer and a left handed 3mm torx driver and pound the knuten valve with the torx driver to the clock-wise counter-clock wise. If that don;t work then you'll need to go to the auto parts store and purchase an EPA-approved knuten valve

The oozez from around the head gasket is because the blinker fluid reservoir is overfilled and needs to be drained.

Seriously, don't you guys know it's all ballbearings nowadays?

[ame]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjsfs49SRbc[/ame]

Oops. Called that one wrong. It's a one way street after all.

What could I offer you in exchange oh grand poobah. I came to this forum while building acar, asking for advice for those who have already done it.

In fact what I asked for is the difference between the ZFQ and the ZF.
What I got was a whole load of political argy bargy from some past debates, andf a crapload of arrogance. I always thought this whole thing was a hobby based on freindship, you know where those in the know paass on their knowledge. Same as older racers teach the younger generation. Your attitude is a turn off to the whole GT40 thing.

When I have my car done and something of substance to offer, I will gladly share it with any of those who might be intereted.

As to other comments here about top speed on track, yes whover wanted to go 200 on track has no clue, but I do see that someone at the silver state classic exceeded 200 mph in a SPF, for what its worth. Which yes I know has nothing to do with the spec of a car on track. BTW if you hit 160 on any US track save elkhart you are really cooking in any closed car.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
What could I offer you in exchange.

Again....and for the last time. Start out by reading posts carefully, think before you respond, and then research Quaife and Olthoff and tell us what they said (for the third time). If you're not willing to talk to those people then you're not really in the market, you're just bench racing. Show some respect for other people's time and contributions and help keep up the information density of the forum; stop asking us to repeat ourselves as you just did. Disrespect for other people's time, effort and knowledge is just another form of arrogance. And don't confuse confidence with arrogance.

BTW Quaife uses 30-wieght ball bearings. RBT does not.

Last edited:
Again....and for the last time. Start out by reading posts carefully, think before you respond, and then research Quaife and Olthoff and tell us what they said (for the third time). If you're not willing to talk to those people then you're not really in the market, you're just bench racing. Show some respect for other people's time and contributions and help keep up the information density of the forum; stop asking us to repeat ourselves as you just did. Disrespect for other people's time, effort and knowledge is just another form of arrogance. And don't confuse confidence with arrogance.

BTW Quaife uses 30-wieght ball bearings. RBT does not.

Its not my place to say what other people told me, if they want to post their opinions I ams ure they will.

Your opinion is clear,

If I am wasting your precious time dont read my posts or answer, your time will be saved, thank you.

Last edited:

Glenn M

Supporter
What I was looking for was not manufacturer claims but actual experience from people who have and DRIVE cars, which seems to be pretty thin.

You know I am looking to learn from those who know. What I find is a whole lot of vinegar and invective, which is telling in and of itself.

If there is anyine who tracks a GT40 I am very interested in your impressions your build, what you would do differently and why.

Which is exactly what I spent the time writing a careful post telling you Sean. I DO drive it (a lot,) I DO track it (a lot) and I gave you my impressions. I also informed you, first hand that the ZFQ was still available.
The reason I got 'sensitive', along with others, is that having taken the time and effort to so do, you seemed to ignore it.

Glenn

Which is exactly what I spent the time writing a careful post telling you Sean. I DO drive it (a lot,) I DO track it (a lot) and I gave you my impressions. I also informed you, first hand that the ZFQ was still available.
The reason I got 'sensitive', along with others, is that having taken the time and effort to so do, you seemed to ignore it.

Glenn

Ok changing the subject slightly, what motor soec do you have, and how do you compare the ability of the Gt40 on track to modern cars like say a street GT3.

Very cool vid thanks.

I noticed the car has the rear wing plate. Some say it does little, but I gfuess once you get over 180 thats a different stroy?

Alan I spoke to griffin today. They are currently producing the 950 ss. 5 speed. The box is a combination of Doug Nash and Richmond. They have gotten rid of the quick change and incorporated an 8.8 inch ring and pinion with a few different final ratios. The case is 2.5 inches longer than the zf. The mark 4 would accommodate the box without the need of modifications however the mark 2 would need the rear bar modified to fit the box. The unit has been dyno tested without the four point set up. They are currently building a four point with updated torque sensors to give pinpoint accuracy of the unit with axles attached. The gears themselves have been beefed up to 2 inches wide as opposed to the one inch previously used. Hence the longer Bo's length. Once they finish the four point dyno they will be testing the unit to 900 foot pounds of torque capacity and will run it to failure. The current dyno did test it to 650 foot pounds. I am not surprised at that since Nash's boxes were stout to begin with. They are also doubling the synchro package and in some cases tripling it to give an amazing shift difference. To answer your question.. I am a mechanical engineer 53 years of age been turning wrenches all my life. I will succeed in building this ERA gt 40 replica and it will encompass the FE big block. It is already happening. I will keep you posted on the progress till the final shake down of the completed car. Should be a nice ride.

Back