Questions on racing

Hi all,

I am new to these forums, but would like to get some advice. In 2006 my friends and I organized a support race with Indycar in Toronto for the historic cars which was a great success. In doing that I was able to get a ride in a CAV GT40 which was a blast. Since then I have been racing a tube-frame C5 Corvette in Trans-Am and GT1. However the car is no longer competitive and new rule changes will relegate it to the historic race leagues with SVRA. I also have a 66 Mustang race car for vintage/historic racing. I still have fond memories of that CAV ride.

I was considering selling both of these cars to build a vintage legal GT40 which I have seen at the track with Denis Olthoff racing, I believe these are Superformance cars.

I really like the RCR as well.

I am not sure which cars are eligible for vintage racing. Does anybody else run a replica GT40 in vintage other than the Superformance make?

Thanks,

Jon

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jon,

Quite the quest to be honest with you.. I am not aware of anyone racing a GT40 with SVRA that is not an original car.. I looked into this myself a few years back.
That said, you could possibly build one, but getting it accepted may be a bit of a challenge.. Many of the vintage organizations are finally showing some signs of relenting to the continuous requests for Vintage Replicas in that the car counts are way down given the increased value of the true originals (GT40s are now in the seven figure range)..

Check the forums here for more information that may be of value:
Vintage Race Rules Forum - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

I personally have abandoned the notion of racing my GT40. Instead I am in the early stages of building a 1969 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am TA car..

The real issue with the GT40s for wheel to wheel competition (in my opinion) are as follows:

1) Fuel Cells. They cost a couple thousand dollars are and good for only 5 years until they need to be replaced. This is by the rules of the SCCA and a number of other organizations.
2) Roll Cage. Once you fit the appropriate rollcage, you'll find that you have only about 10-11" of area which you can enter/exit the car.
3) Cost. While money may not be a major factor in some budgets, it is in mine. Spares would be exceedingly expensive. Gear boxes, etc. Tires would not be too terrible but the cost of the wheels may be depending upon your needs.

Good luck with the quest!

Yes it is true that there are costs, but it would be less costly than running my T/A Corvette. That is about 3 grand per weekend. Tires and fuel are much more expensive as I run Goodyear slicks and 110 octane, entry fees and car maintenance including fuel cell replacement are the same expense.

I will check the SVRA site again in the near future. Right now the rules for prepping a GT40 are not posted.

Thanks,

Jon

Malcolm

Supporter
Your racing is still cheap compared to the UK! When I raced the 993 in the 24 hours (so we benefitted from economies of scale) back in 2007/8 it was nearly £1,500 per hour of track time. But keep racing, its great fun. Hope you work out your next race car.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I am not sure which cars are eligible for vintage racing. Does anybody else run a replica GT40 in vintage other than the Superformance make?

Currently most vintage sanctioners will only accept an original type chassis so you are looking at Gelscoe or Superformance. I know there are some other people producing an FAV replica chassis, but I am not sure if they have been accepted yet although I would expect you could get them homologated.

The Superformance vintage car is our "GT40 'R". It is equipped with a full cage and can be built to fit into several of the vintage classifications dependant upon what model (MK I or MK II) you wish to replicate and what era you wish (pre and post 1966).

If you would like further info let me know and I'll forward it to you. PM me here, email rick(AT)timemachinesauto.com or call 716.407.0975

We can provide the "R" fully set up with fuel cells and all equipment ready to be a "turn key" race car.

jon, i have raced in SVRA and HSR where Denis Olthoff racing shows up quite frequently. I run in Group 5 with his two cars often. Denis in the red car is quite quick not catchable unless you're in a real T70 or McClaren MB or the 750 hp Duntov Vette that shows up once in a while. I run OK with the blue car and subesquent drivers that run that car. Denis runs a great shop and service catering to arrive and drive but I'm sure very willing to do as much as you want/need or don't if you're hands on like me. If you're interested in a Lola T70 replica ready to race give me a ring 404-213-1999 or [email protected]. Info on site too in "GT 40 Cars for Sale" thread for my T70 Spyder for sale.
Regards, Ward in Atlanta.

Back