radiator mounting help

Hi this is what my radiator looks like mounts with two thin plates on each side 1/16 (.o625) to thin for me has anybody else used radiator with these thin plates?if so please post photo.the radiator was pressed between the side plates that bolt to frame then bolts were tightened i had bend sides to get radiator out.i am going to have radiator welded with new thicker side plates and cross bars to mount electric fans.

Your thoughts please wayne

Attachments

• 13456673617261.jpg
    13456673617261.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 13456672123760.jpg
    13456672123760.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 279
Some radiators come with plates welded to the sides. My Griffin had them, a little different from yours. I incorporated some into the mounting of the radiaor. Others I removed and rewelded where they were attached. If they are 1/8" thick that should be OK. If 1/16 too thin and would get some added to fit your chassis. Be sure to rubber mount them to eliminate vibration and flex.

Bill

All RCR rads have 1/16 mounting tabs, as recommended by the company that manufactures them for us.....

I dont recall ever being told by a customer that the mounts have failed or created any issues at all ...if properly rubber mounted..

The radiator manufacturing company does nothing but radiators, so I feel pretty confident in their recommendations....however, if 1/8 mounting plates make you feel better about your build, then go for it..its your build afterall

Last edited:
Thanks all for your post . I am thinking of something like randy has done.any other photos or input would be great.

Thanks wayne

Remember that the radiator must not be rigidly mounted. The chassis will always flex a little, but the radiator has little tolerance for repeated flex. Use some kind of intermediate rubber to isolate the radiator.

Bob that is what i am concerned about also i was already going to rubber mount radiator ,will modify frame so when frame flexes it will not flex radiator.

Back