Rcr 917

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Re: R C R 917 MONO

I would say that sitting in the aluminum chassis would be far safer than inside the tubular structure of the original.

One of the key points in my decision making process.. I agree...

Just love it

any chance to fit a new emission legal watercooled flat 6 ( your caiman package, or better a 997 biturbo package) into it. This way there could be a chance to get it registrated and approved in Europe.

TOM

Cayman would be really easy...as they are quite small...

The Turbo engines have a ton of "stuff" hanging all over them...

The down side is radiator and cooling system packaging...

The front of the car will accomodate a rad. but currently I am only suporting the oil/air cooled package...

Your next car Tom????

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Wow, talk about trick photography. Fran has some of you guys fooled. Me, I am skeptical that this car exists. I mean come on, TREES??? Where would one find trees in Detroit. It would be more convincing if the pictures included Casey! :) Then I would believe. Fran, call me when you get a chance. Nice job by the way.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Just love it

any chance to fit a new emission legal watercooled flat 6 ( your caiman package, or better a 997 biturbo package) into it. This way there could be a chance to get it registrated and approved in Europe.

TOM

What about the 6 banger from a Subaru SVX? There are a lot of these cars that can be picked up quite reasonably and as I understand it the 5 speed Subby gear-box will bolt up to it since all SVX's came with slush-boxes...

Fran,

Perhaps the Softronic Race Plenum and software could be applied to the Cayman S engine to boost the excitement level of this engine in the 917 as it has in my little Cayman S? Many ideas to boost performance for the engine at the Cayman Forum: www.caymanforum.net. Just an FYI.......

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
The Cayman's almost 300 horsepower bone stock ain't a bad place to start, even more so given that Frans 917 is almost 1000 pounds lighter and a heck of lot more slippery in the wind.

Gregg is right, Fran. Less trees. More Casey. :thumbsup:

What about the 6 banger from a Subaru SVX? There are a lot of these cars that can be picked up quite reasonably and as I understand it the 5 speed Subby gear-box will bolt up to it since all SVX's came with slush-boxes...

I like the Subaru idea as well. I think Jeff Perrin has shown it to be very capable engine with a small investment. I think you would be ahead of the porsche engine in terms of price/performance. Though, I don't think the Subaru trans would work out. I know that they use those Subaru engines in a lot of sand buggies, so i think adapters are aviable for porsche trannies.
I think we need dimensions of the 917 engine bay to see if everthing can be made to fit (Cooling and whatnot).

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Our second RCR917 is shipping out Tuesday..I will post more pics on Tuesday.:thumbsup:

Denny -
Any chance of getting a few shots of the black SLC that I suspect will be going out on the same truck to MN? I can hardly bear the anticipation! Sorry for the slight thread drift.....
Thanks!
Dave L

Howard Jones

Supporter
The 917 is SOOOOOOO..... cool It took me a good 30 mins to drop the idea of doing a SLC and building a 917 instead when I was there to order my SLC. The thing that really had me thinking was the alum tub. Having had a long hard look at at other 60s Porsche prototypes (908,910) it is the lack of drivers protection at the front that has me really spooked. Your feet are about 6 inches out in front of the tires in a 910 and I think that the 917 isn't much better in it's original space frame form. Frans car on the other hand is clearly much safer. The foot-box is fully enclosed and looks to be several time stiffer/stronger that the light tube frame that is used in the real car. I think where you would loose your feet, 30-40 mph into a concrete track wall, in a Porsche tubeframe chassis you would only have a dinged up chassis in the RCR car.

The other thing is, a 917 has a huge built in resale value. Can you imagine that car complete and running hard laps at a Porsche club track day. Those guys would be lined up with check books in hand all day long.

The thing that brought me back to the SLC in the end is the ability to do a comfortable ride along at track days. There is much more room inside for two people in a SLC. The 917 would really be a one person car on the track. And..... the ($$$$) it takes to build a 450hp Porsche engine. I figure it would be at least 4 times as much as a SBC.

But......I really liked that 917. If I didn't already have a GT40 I would do one for sure. Really my second best choice for a historic 60s racecar that can be run on the street.

Really a fine job of doing a old race car to modern standards.

Howard ,
you certainly looked a little concerned when you walked past the 917....
I thought we had you on the hook for a pair of new toys for minute....

The 917 is SOOOOOOO..... cool It took me a good 30 mins to drop the idea of doing a SLC and building a 917 instead when I was there to order my SLC. The thing that really had me thinking was the alum tub. Having had a long hard look at at other 60s Porsche prototypes (908,910) it is the lack of drivers protection at the front that has me really spooked. Your feet are about 6 inches out in front of the tires in a 910 and I think that the 917 isn't much better in it's original space frame form. Frans car on the other hand is clearly much safer. The foot-box is fully enclosed and looks to be several time stiffer/stronger that the light tube frame that is used in the real car. I think where you would loose your feet, 30-40 mph into a concrete track wall, in a Porsche tubeframe chassis you would only have a dinged up chassis in the RCR car.

The other thing is, a 917 has a huge built in resale value. Can you imagine that car complete and running hard laps at a Porsche club track day. Those guys would be lined up with check books in hand all day long.

The thing that brought me back to the SLC in the end is the ability to do a comfortable ride along at track days. There is much more room inside for two people in a SLC. The 917 would really be a one person car on the track. And..... the ($$$$) it takes to build a 450hp Porsche engine. I figure it would be at least 4 times as much as a SBC.

But......I really liked that 917. If I didn't already have a GT40 I would do one for sure. Really my second best choice for a historic 60s racecar that can be run on the street.

Really a fine job of doing a old race car to modern standards.
===============
Instead of the Major Bucks it would take to get 450 hp out of a Porsche Engine, could it be made to use a stroked LS3? You can get those complete for a bit over 10k and have 550-600 hp, without a blower. Add 250 more with one on pump gas. Then at least the car would be easy to keep running and getting parts for it, and tear up a track if someone had the stones to really drive it.

Ty

Ty.

its not an engine package I support in the 917 chassis...it has been discussed before.
If someone wants to do it after the fact that great but not from the factory.

Packaging would be tight especially mounting the radiator to achieve good cooling.

The 917 is lighter and does not necessarily require 450hp to be a quick car...

Back