RCR GT40 Radiator Size

Can anyone tell me if an increase in the height of the RCR GT40 by approx 4" is worthwhile. The gap at the top looks like lost cooling opportunity and a new taller radiator could fill the inlet fully. I can make a cap that blocks this, just thought that if I could replace this one with one a bit taller it could only help.

Any comments?

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_13444.jpg

Jason,

the standard radiator cools 650hp ...as proven by more than one owner in the past but you have the potential to make more with a supercharged engine...so it may be a reasonable thing to think about.

The stock rad is the same size as an original gt40 too..

Last edited:

Rune

Supporter
Why not make vanes that direct all air true the radiator. radiator is most effective if you stop all air that can bypass the radiator. If that is not enough you should think about change to a new one, with higher effect.

Thanks guys. I will have a look at the cost of a new one one made here in Australia (undoubtedly it will cost a lot more than the RCR one). Also the RCR one is built well so I will need to try to find the same quality. As Fran says it is most unlikely that I will need the additional cooling capacity for my motor.

It's a very complicated business sorting the cooling and intakes, more so than you'd think.
I'm got a basic 'handle' on it but you really need to read up on the subject.

To sum it up though, all the air that comes in through the inlet should go through the radiator. All the air that comes out should go through the nostril(s). The inlet should be smaller in area than the radiator so that the high speed air diffuses and reduces drag. There are formulas and calculations for inlet area to radiator area and power.

If you don't do it properly you'll, lose cooling, pressurise the clip at speed, increase drag, heat the cabin and reduce downforce/increase lift.

So by all means use the RCR rad, it looks good and will take the power, while ideal to fully shroud and make a nice inlet it would be perfectly acceptable to block up the top section up to the body with some foam on top to have a decent seal against the underside of the body.

Jason,
What about instead of changing the radiator just adding a larger oil cooler?
As the oil has a lot of heat put into it and if you remove that heat it should lower the engine temps.
I know that is not using that space above the radiator but may be more cost effective than a new radiator.
Mark

Back