RCR T70 in the UK

Hi there,

Are there any other RCR T70 owners in the UK? Or REAL T70 owners come to think of it..

cheers

chris

Hi

Mark Preece has one, he is on here but I'm not sure if he visits on a regular basis

Have a look on the sporting bears web page

He uses it for charity work

Will

Some progress made on my build... started with the engine and ancillaries, now moving to dash and interior.
44D626C9-6C71-4A21-AB89-3962EF44D530.jpeg

Lovely car and build Chris. You may already know, those toggle switches won't pass IVA if you are intending to put it through the test. Unless of course you have an extra extremely large steering wheel to go on :)

Regards

Nick

Neil

Supporter
Lovely car and build Chris. You may already know, those toggle switches won't pass IVA if you are intending to put it through the test. Unless of course you have an extra extremely large steering wheel to go on :)

Regards

Nick
Really? What is their objection to toggle switches?

Regards

Nick
Thanks for the tip off Nick... 1st priority is getting it built for the track, but I did have half an eye on getting it road legal. What is the issue with toggle switches?

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Chris, great job. Might I inquire where you got the Lola emblem from on the nose. At one time, Lola spares were going to distribute them. But it appears they are no longer trading.

Regards. Brian

Thanks for the tip off Nick... 1st priority is getting it built for the track, but I did have half an eye on getting it road legal. What is the issue with toggle switches?
Hi Chris,

Problem is unless in the exempt area (certain distance from the steering wheel edge) they have to meet the radius requirements. For toggles some modern manufacturers such as Mini have fitted guards to overcome this, as shown in the picture.

Attachments

• DgOCC5_WkAAjMpA.jpg
    DgOCC5_WkAAjMpA.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 662

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Good grief. I don't know how you folks put up with all these regulations.
Sure Neil, but the rules are all recorded and you build the car to pass said rules. It gets tested before registration and the inspection takes about 4 hours, get it all right and you can road register the car.
nok at the “United “ States, where each state has different rules and even from one test station to another as seen on build blogs on here.

in France you cannot register one!

So at least we know what is required to pass the test!

ian

Neil

Supporter
Sure Neil, but the rules are all recorded and you build the car to pass said rules. It gets tested before registration and the inspection takes about 4 hours, get it all right and you can road register the car.
nok at the “United “ States, where each state has different rules and even from one test station to another as seen on build blogs on here.

in France you cannot register one!

So at least we know what is required to pass the test!

ian

Well, Ian, I guess it's the difference in cultures. We won't sacrifice freedom for uniformity. Here each state decides what its inspection requirements will be (emissions excepted), just as each European & UK government does. These requirements are codified, as yours are, and any difficulty with inspections from any given state test station can be resolved in court. An inspection station cannot make up their own rules or interpretation thereof. Some states have strict requirements and others are very lax. If one does not like the rules in one state he is free to move to another. People do this frequently to escape high state taxes. States with very high taxes are losing population to states like Texas and Florida where state taxes are far lower. Just as I would never live in a neighborhood with a Home Owners' Association (HOA), I would not live in a restrictive state that insists on regulating and restricting everything.

Here in Arizona my state inspection for licensing my homebuilt for the street consisted in a Dept of Motor Vehicles representative coming to my home and checking whether it had the required equipment- headlights, park lights, turn signals, tail lights, brake lights, windshield wipers, and mufflers. A driving test was not even requested. He liked my car and signed off on the inspection. That's it! It's one of the reasons that I live in Arizona.

The IVA in the UK is primarily concerned with safety. Cars are inspected to make sure they are safe to use on the street with other traffic. They check for things like wires chaffing, brake pipe routing and security.
You may not like it Neil, but how would you feel if a member of your family was killed or injured due to a home built car’s brakes failing because the pipe had fractured and lost all the brake fluid? When you know the inspection had been as superficial as you describe?
These rules are in place not just to protect you, but to protect people FROM you.
The IVA in the UK has brought the build level of “kit car” builds up across the board.
This is not intended as a slight on you or your build, rather those that might cobble something together and be driving it around.
Simon

Slightly off topic but the IVA test is not as onerous as it sounds. Occasionally you can get an unhelpful jobsworth, but in the main and in my case they want to help you get through it. As Mike Pass one of my "team" helping me through it so succinctly put it, if it fails which many times it does, you get your list of failure points work through it, put it in for another test. If it fails again you work through your smaller list and repeat the process until there is nothing on the list.

I have no problem with the safety checks, some of the points like the toggle switches are a pain but not really a restriction of freedom. Any modern car you drive today has had to conform to a set of rules, the guards on the modern Mini a prime example.

Link below if you have access has some examples of cars submitted for IVA that failed. They may have passed in Arizona but you have more room over there to take avoiding action than we do ;)

Back