RCR40 - Build Plan

To all,

I am hoping to make 2014 the year to remember by purchasing and starting the assembly of my GT40. What I would like to ask you all for is a general sequential build plan. What did you start with first and why? What did you learn the hard way that should have been done first? Any and all advice is welcome, even if it is "don't run with scissors" type simple.

I realize that no two folks will be exactly the same, and that is fine. I simply hope that if enough folks respond, then a pattern will develop that will help me plan mine.

Thanks in advance!
Robert

"If you give a man a
fish, you feed him for
a day. If you teach
a man to fish, you feed
him for a lifetime!"
:thinking2:

GT40 Build Logs - GT40s.com

research it... 'nuf said...

(sorry for the sarcastic resonse, but this is probably why you've had no responses yet...)

Plus, I'm pretty sure that they come with a build manual... I dont know exactly how detailed the manual is (VERY, I'm sure...), but I AM completely sure that it exists for good, informative reasons.

(You could also PM Fran (gt40fran), or PM one of the builders that you find with multiple GT-40 builds in said gt40-build-logs sub-forum, and ask him/them what they would recommend.)

Thanks guys.

I have been through the build logs and have been going through them for the last 2 years. Although a great source of info, they lack certain things. For one, most of them are not done. Second, what exactly was their build plan? Quite a few tell everyone what they hope to build, but not how they intend to do it, why, and in what order. Finally, only a few are RCRs. The rest spend the first 8 pages paneling.

I am hoping to get some different inputs.

Thanks
Robert

Quite a few tell everyone what they hope to build, but not how they intend to do it, why, and in what order.

After building 4 cars the one thing i learned is that it's pointless to plan to any real extent, lol. A lot of this is just seat of the pants, have to be there to know what you're doing.

I remember when I first built my cobra, I created a very detailed 10pg plan. Then when I was done the project I looked back on it and was like 'wtf was i smoking when i came up with these ideas and layout' because the build hadn't progressed remotely close to what I'd thought it would

The only thing I know for certain is come up with a budget, then multiply by 1.5 and you're probably at your ending value. that rule always seems to work, at least for me, heh

marc

Lifetime Supporter
This is what happens when a project manager decides to build a car. Break out the Gantt Chart, time analysis, subprojects for each division of the sub assembly. Wait til you have to take it back apart to paint. That'll f' you up.

I can say that because I was one. but throw that out the window when doing a kit car. 1 broken tap will blow a whole day away.

Back