real Lola t70 wheel sizes?

Hello all,

Does anyone know the original sizes for Lola T70 wheels?

Were the early spyders 15x8f and 15x10r?

I imagine the later Mk3b coupes were wider. Are they?

Thanks,
Casey

I don't think there was a standard size. I purchased an original set of rims for my T70 spyder replica. The size of the tire is still greek to me but all I know it cost me $1,500.00 for a set of Goodyears. I hope this helps. Are you building a Replica or do you have a original?

Front 11.0/23.5-16
Rear 14.0/27.0-16

Regards

John

I have an original set off being media blasted for sale. I know the rears are 15 x 14 and I think the fronts are 15 x 9.5 or 10. I can get some pics emailed to anybody when I get them back.

PS Engineering makes Lola T-70 wheels in 15x8, 15x10, and 15x12 for the Mk 1, 2 and 3 spiders and single-headlight coupes. They also make a 15x11 and 15x17 (!) for the T-160 through the T-310 for the Can Am series.

They also make wheels for McLarens and Chevrons....

Google found me this:

"
PS Engineering Wheels: Phil Schmidt runs the company in California, and while they have little to no web presence and their communications are by fax and phone, its all worth it. Its evident that these guys are craftman first, and good word of mouth beats a website for all the business they want."

and

"I was lucky enough to be able to visit Phil Schmidt's shop (the PS in PS Engineering) and watch my wheels being built. Phil has a very well equipped shop located in Torrance, California. He's a one man operation, and stays very busy. If you'd like to contact Phil, his phone number is (310) 534-4477."

If you get any pricing please report back.

Cheers

Fred W B

PS Engineering makes Lola T-70 wheels in 15x8, 15x10, and 15x12 for the Mk 1, 2 and 3 spiders and single-headlight coupes. They also make a 15x11 and 15x17 (!) for the T-160 through the T-310 for the Can Am series.

They also make wheels for McLarens and Chevrons....

Errr...go I get this right, he does wheels for all sorts of Lolas except T70 MK3Bs?

Thanks guys,

I am restoring that McKee MK1 Chevette that currently has a Lola T70 MK3 coupe body on it. Since the McKee's body was a one-off aluminum affair that is long gone, I am going to do a mechanical restoration on it and run the Lola body this year. I would like to run the wheels that are like what was on the McKee and wanted to see what the Lolas ran, just for the sake of comparison. Currenlty the car has very wide 15x8.5 and 15x14 on it. I am going to go a bit narrower and was just curious.

Thanks guys,

Casey

Why go narrower?
T70 MK3b coupe 15x17 or 15x14 rear and 15x12 front
lola_t70.jpg

T70 MK3b Spyder 15x12 or 15x14 rear and 15x9 or 15x8 front
ra30p10.jpg

T70 MKIII 15x12 rear and 15x10 or 15x8 front
lola_t70_a_lloyd.JPG

T70 MKII 15x10 rear and 15x8 front
2918448740001028486eahFUZ_fs.jpg

T70 see picture...
surteeslolaT70.jpg

Oops, the Mk3b front wheels can also be 11" or 10" wide. I found several examples...
I like the wheels you have now Casey. I think you would be hard pressed to do better other than something from BBS.

Hi Johan,

Well, the McKee chassis, suspension, and drivetrain is unaltered from original. In the future, if I do a correct one-off McKee aluminum body, I'd like it to be correct. I am trying to see if I can get away with running McKee sized wheels whithout looking goofy on the Lola body. The wheels I have now don't match. I'd run them otherwise for now. McKee has the chevy 5 bolt pattern by 4 3/4'' and uses Torq Thrusts. They are easy enough to come by, but I see no sense in throwing money away with big wide wheels I'll only use the one year.
The McKee had 15x8 front and 15x10 rear. With the spacing on the chassis, this would look correct with the Lola body. Yes yes, wider is great, but I am weighing my options.

Casey

OK, so just split the difference and get 9" front and 12" rear GT40 or Cobra wheels...They would look period correct,are easy to get in a 5 bolt design, rubber is readily available, and look good on either car.

Thanks Johan,

I think I am going to go 15x8 or 8.5 and 15x12. I'll get them in the Torq Thrust wheels like would be on the McKee. It will be interesting to see what people say when they see a Lola with "hot rod" wheels on it. See you this summer.

Casey

Does anybody know how much PS Engineering was asking in the past for a set of T70 MK3b wheels?
Alternatively: What´s their price range (roughly)?

Any infos appreciated.

Many thanks.

Best,

Marcus

PS engineering does not make 3b wheels. M&A castings makes the 3b wheels but they do not own the molds so they can't sell them. The owner of the molds sells them for something like 3600 for a set, which is very reasonable for a set of wheels in Mag.
PS engineering makes the MK II wheels in aluminum and they are less than 3000 for a set.

Back