rear glass or (lexan) needed

I have a GTD 40 in need of the rear glass which is stained. I have heard glass is available, but where?

If glass would not be advised, are there any ideas for lexan. Do you have to buy it in sheets or does it come already for fitting? I am new to the GT40 world without much experience. tks for the help in advance!

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Dennis,

After Fran Hall of RCR returns from the UK, suggest you give him a call. I'm *certain* not only can he help you out, but he'll probably do it for very reasoanable if not next to nothing. In my experience, he's that kind of guy.

Regards,

T.

The RFs all used glass...much clearer rear vision...no melting when the Webers catch fire...but a lot heavier and more expensive than Lexan.
And your rear clip would probably need re-work since safety glass is thicker and would stand up above the rear clip edges. New Lexan would certainly
be the easier way. Good luck.

MikeD

The window can be cut from sheet plastic using your old one as a template. It will take the shape of the car when fastened down so no pre-forming is needed. I would use acrylic or hard-coated lexan (sometimes called MR-10). Regular lexan is soft and scratches like crazy when wiped with even the softest cloth.

Howard Jones

Supporter
You can take your old one to Tap Plastic and they will cut one out for you. Just take it home drill the new holes and...WALLA... done. Couple of hundred dollars max. You can find out just about everything about Lexan here. home

Last edited:
The next "Really big question is where can I find that type of lexan (MR-10),

hardware store, window outlet shop, or your local gt40's shop?

Hard coated lexan is usuallly found at a plastics supply company. Just check your local yellow pages under plastic materials and make some calls. They will all probably carry the hard coated sheet.

Dennis Jones said:
The next "Really big question is where can I find that type of lexan (MR-10),

hardware store, window outlet shop, or your local gt40's shop?
Hi Dennis
You can find a large lexan (or polycarbonate) sheet on e-Bay:
eBay: POLYCARBONATE Full Sheet 3/16" x 48" x 96" Clr (item 7545630070 end time Nov-04-06 11:27:58 PST)
Smaller sheets are also available.
Lexan solution is a cheap and light way to replace a rear glass. I have do it on my coupe. It was not easy to obtain the good shapeliness but it is possible. I have fixed it on the frame with aluminum rivets. Lexan is unbreakable and you can cut it with a wood saw.
Have a good job ;)

Back