rear view camera

I picked one up a year or two ago from PEP boys on sale for $69 regular $99. It mounts to the tag and gives a good picture in color. Works good except it picks up extraneous signals in restaurants etc. that will pop in unexpectedly as you drive by. They don't like the car wash too well. Otherwise it is a good unit. It can be wired into the regular power system and be used just to let you know who is right behind you. Don't expect to be able to judge distance too well. I currently have it on my truck and it allows me to load the trailer onto the truck without assistance.

Bill

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Ditto on the $69 wireless special. I drilled a small hole in one of the rear louver panels and mounted it inside the clip. Most don't notice it. Display brightness is not great in sun light but it's good enough to see what's behind you.

Thinking about using Chase cams. They are small, and easy to build into a streamlined enclosure. They are also proven in lots of car applications.

Questions are how they work in the dark, are they susceptible to blooming, etc.

I guess I'll find out eventually, unless something better comes along.

Will hows the build going? I looked at Chase Cameras not sure how I would tie it into a screen. For the other 2 replys how far back does it look and how are they at night? Thanks

They basically use a fish eye lens so distance is distorted. At night unless someone has their lights on the view is pretty dim. You can pick up the reflected light off bumpers but that is about it. When backing into a parking space at night with marginal lighting, the objects behind you come into view as you get close to them, but I wouldn't rely on it on the interstate. In harsh sunlight their is some burn out but give it 15 seconds and it clears. There is a button that is supposed to help with low light or maybe its for the dimming of the bright sunlight. I don't use it because I have already started backing before thinking of using it. Compared to the Chase Cams, it is a bargain though.

Bill

They basically use a fish eye lens so distance is distorted. At night unless someone has their lights on the view is pretty dim. You can pick up the reflected light off bumpers but that is about it. When backing into a parking space at night with marginal lighting, the objects behind you come into view as you get close to them, but I wouldn't rely on it on the interstate. In harsh sunlight their is some burn out but give it 15 seconds and it clears. There is a button that is supposed to help with low light or maybe its for the dimming of the bright sunlight. I don't use it because I have already started backing before thinking of using it. Compared to the Chase Cams, it is a bargain though.

Bill

Not only that, but they have an input for another camera. If you don't like the one supplied, then get another camera and just use the display.

Spoke with Chase Cams and they said they do not have a set up for a rear camera that would work,. They recomend that I go on line and find one>>>> Like Sal I am not going to cut a hole somewhere and mount it I will have a temp set up in the cockpit. Will look into the cheaper ones but I have to think there is a high power set up somewhere out there.

There may have been some confusion- the Chase cams work well as rear-view cameras, but they are too narrow an angle for backing up purposes, which I think the OP may have meant.

I have a 3-camera screen that I am using in my SLC. It is at SAVV Mobile Multimedia

With three cams, you can see left, right and rear views, all at the same time. This is important in a car like the SLC, which has extremely limited rearward vision.

When backing up, you can auto-switch to another cam that is has wide angle lens and does a good job showing what is just behind you (as in, 1-15 feet).

Here are some typical ones to look at:

Rear-view Cameras at Crutchfield.com

Here are 509 to look at:

Rearview Camera - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

Here is Amazon.com. Go to the bottom of the page and read the review:
Cure for Cool Cars with limited rear view!

Amazon.com: Pioneer ND-BC2 Universal Rear View Camera: Electronics

How about Ebay:

rear view camera, great deals on Electronics, eBay Motors on eBay!

7" LCD rear view car mirror monitor:

7 " LCD Rear View Car Mirror Monitor (4 video display):eBay Motors (item 260509861765 end time Nov-27-09 05:37:16 PST)

for the really sophisticated, 7" LCD TFT 1 din Car Radio DVD Player GPS +iPod + Map

• [*] All In One Brand New 1 Din 7" DVD GPS Player
    [*] Touch Screen Control, High definition TFT LCD screen
    [*] Dual Zone; You can enjoy music(in CD/DVD/USB/SD Card) and radio while navigation

GPS ,
Remote Control ,
Touch Screen,
Ipod Support ,
Back Car Camera
Signal Input ,
TV Function ,
Support Reverse Camera Control

7" LCD TFT 1 din Car Radio DVD Player GPS +iPod + Map - eBay (item 220474845844 end time Nov-30-09 18:45:37 PST)

Just use your imagination and you will find limitless possibilities from $49 to $4000.

Bill

Al, be careful with your selection. Some do have night time functions, some only allow what you would normally see with your back up lights on. Go for a good quality color camera and the largest monitor you can reasonably fit. There are many, many choices. I'd like to see some feedback from actual users on this forum.

Concur with some actual feedback. I am not looking for a backup camera but one for rear vis as I drive down the raod. I will mount it on my roll bar so it is high enough so I can get a view that I would get from a rear view mirror

There are several threads here on the rear view cameras. There are the race cams which are VERY pricey but give the ability to record. The other types are the display only types. There you have a choice of mirror version, 7"/3" types or the small monitor types. All of these are of pretty good quality and you have to realize that these are not good for distance judging as most use a fish eye type lens i.e. the passenger outside mirrors disclamer "Objects are closer than they appear". They are good for judging whether someone is infact behind you.Night vision is O K but not great. They have a button that will improve the night vision, but not all that great on a non lit roads, works great in a parking lot.
I have an old Pep boys version that works great. It made it though two years and a lot of rain days, many hand washes and 4 automated washes. Unfortunately I found one that really got the truck clean, and I was getting tired of doing the washing.
For Christmas, I got a new one and it has an upgraded camera with a wider range of vision and is digital. The difference is that it actually has a transmitter between the camera and the tail light hook up. I need to work on that connection as it is a little problematic right now. On an earlier post on this thread there are several options for you to chose from. Some are Hong Kong, some U S, some Ebay, some distributor houses.Take your choice.
You have to mount them high enough to see what you want to see, which is not only cars directly behind you, but cars off to the side as well. I like the ones with the 7" screen because they give you so much more that you can get from the unit. I like the combination of a radio, DVD,CD, IPOD, GPS, etc. etc. because I need a radio/music system anyway. Yes you still have to buy a camera. I plan to use a good quality camera and will build an enclosure on the rear of the spider sortof like the Nascar guys have and use it like a mirror. If I want to record, I'll do it inside with a camcorder or digital camera in video mode.
The neat thing on the ones mounted on the rear license plate is that it barely captures the trailer hitch and I can load the trailer to the truck without getting out 15 times to line it up.

Bill

Back