rear wheel play

The rear left assembly on my CAV (No 51) has significant play ever since I bought the car new. Its driveable and I have done 7000 miles including 5 trackdays. Recently, I have noticed a noise coming from the rear left. The hub nut was tight. I removed the upright and removed the outer bearing and the hub. I did notice that the outer race came off the hub shaft quite easily. The outer race can be slid on and off the hub by hand easily. Could this be the source of my problem or is it that the bearing sits in the upright loosely. Its a fairly new bearing.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Syed,

We've seen wobbly wheels on tracked cars here as well. A loose axle retaining nut will do it, however as you've mentioned the axle nut was tight. The other culprit has been the bores through the casting for the upper clevis pin. Some were machined oversize and with the high clamping force of the clevis nut it is possible to squeeze the aluminum and your wheel will wobble as it's the bearing, had us baffled for a while.

If you're tracking the car you really should search back to my postings about our performance upgrade parts for pre 100 s/n CAV GTs. Everyone who has fitted these parts felt the improvement in handling and ride. Even the braking and feedback through the steering is improved.

Cheers

Hi Sibbat, you should consider Ian's upgrades to your car, the early CAV's were not really designed to be track cars.
You will notice considerable boost in your confidence and the safety and handling of your CAV.
Dave

Back