Reclaiming lost horsepower

I was reading an interesting article in the May issue of Popular Hotrodding on “Exhaust Science Demystified”. Now this is not my area of expertise so I will outline the article as best as I can and then pose a question or two which those in the know can chime in. Keep in mind this is not a crossover system.

The author (David Visor) built a 400lb-ft, 404hp engine and found that no matter which muffler was put on, he lost 20lb-ft and 25hp. His objective was to build a no loss system that was not too noisy. His work along with an acoustics engineer, resulted in the now Walker/Dynomax muffler. In a shootout of mufflers, their 2.25” muffler beat all the 2.5” models. He gave an educational section on how race engines with large cams (290 in duration) and tuned length exhaust system generate negative pressure waves to scavenge the cylinder during valve overlap. Thus making exhaust flow more important than intake as it (intake) benefits from the exhaust more than it generates on its own. Well-tuned engines can generate partial vacuum as high as 6-7 psi at the exhaust valve and can translate that into 4-5 psi in the intake during overlap. This is pulling the air about 500% more than the piston can by itself. He referred to this engine as a five-cycle unit with 2 consecutive induction events. With this information and proper tuning, one should be able to build a system that is quiet and is able to develop within 1% of its open exhaust power.

1534685image007.jpg

Primary tube sizing will often times result in lost torque by choosing a primary tube that is too large. The goal is to size the pipe for optimal output over a range of RPM. The primary tube’s velocity is influenced by the flow capability at peak valve lift. This has been pretty much standardized through much testing and resulted with the following graph.

1533010image.jpg

So if you know your flow, choosing the primary size can be made a little easier rather than trial and error. For most street driven engines, it is a little better to under size the primaries.

In primary lengths, he states that the “old” idea of equal length primaries doesn’t hold and is a waste of time. (Remember, he’s not talking about crossover design primaries) Most want maximum scavenging over a bandwidth of up to 4000 RPM and racers of 3000 or less. With today designs, the tuning of one cylinder to another may vary by 1000 RPM and if all else is equal, the lengths could be different by as much as 9”without affecting performance very much. One advantage to the different lengths is that higher flowing radiuses and convenient routing in a crowded engine bay can be used. The old inline 4 cylinders were primary sensitive and the modern V-8 is really 2 V-4s not 2 inline 4s. Test with primaries varying between 24 and 36” in 3” increments had little variation.

On secondary pipes (collectors), the diameter was just as critical as the primaries and that given a 4 into 1 collector should have a diameter of 1.75 times the primaries. He found that the length was a sensitive factor. If the engine was going to peak in the 8500-RPM range, it benefited from a longer (aprox. 20”) collector, whereas one peaking in the 5000RPM range benefited from a shorter (10”) collector. You can see the benefits in the two pics of added collector extension.

1533011image001.jpg

1533012image002.jpg

This is all a bit technical and it brings me to the first question. Given that most of us use the 302 and 351, what is the difference in what he has said so far with regards to the 180-degree crossover systems we use on the GT40? Should we add length to the collectors if we increase the HP? If so, how much, or better put, what is the optimum length and how do we go about finding that out without spending a fortune on dyno test?

The next part of the article I found much easier to handle and more relevant to everyone here. It was about mufflers. How to pick one out, and how to build a system that wouldn’t cost HP and remain reasonably quiet? Most people pick out a muffler based on the size of the collector pipe, and according to him that’s all wrong. If you want to have the same HP of an open exhaust system (or close to it), you have to understand what the system” sees” with a muffler on it. A mufflers inlet pipe should only be for fitment. The engine doesn’t care what size the muffler pipe size is, it only cares what it flows, and that is what selection should be based on. His example shows why:
With a length of pipe equal to the length of the muffler and rated the same test pressure as the carb, the flow equals 115cfm per square inch. With this in mind a 2.5” pipe will flow about 560 cfm. If you chose a 2.5” muffler that flows say 400 cfm that correlates to a pipe of 2.1” in diameter. All mufflers (just about) restrict flow between the entry and exit of the system. To get a system that equals the diameter of the collector would require a larger muffler. His example stated a 4” muffler. The problem here is that bigger may be better, but at what cost (money and sound).
They did a lot of testing and came up with the following graph.

1533014image004.jpg

What they found out was that with a cam of 290 degrees of seat duration (advertised), the peak HP numbers grew less than 1% above 2.2 cfm per HP. So,,, If you can make a reasonable guess as to open exhaust power potential, multiply that by 2.2 for the total flow needed to prevent back pressure. If you have 500 HP then flow requirements are 500 x 2.2= 1100 cfm. Two 550 cfm mufflers should do the trick and HP loss will be less than 5HP.

Now the other shoe will drop. Remember pressure wave tuning? Well adding a muffler is like adding a length of pipe to the collector, and there goes your just found HP. The trick is to add a muffler that doesn’t alter the tuned length of the collector. If the muffler has a sizable increase in cross-sectional area (open chamber design) like Flowwmaster for example, the pressure wave sees no change in length and the reflection wave occurs. The flow through glass pack types acts as a pipe extension to the collector and will drop the power.

1533015image005.jpg

In order to get the same result with a glass pack as the flow through type, a pressure wave termination box (resonator box) has to be added to the system. If it is of sufficient size, it makes everything downstream look invisible to the systems primary and secondary-tuned lengths. If the muffler has the 2.2 cfm requirement, it too is invisible to the system from a flow standpoint and should give the same power as an open exhaust. His suggestion was a resonator box with a minimum volume of 8 x CID of 1 cylinder.

1533017image006.jpg

So I guess the last question is whether or not the collector length makes a difference in our exhaust systems. If it does and we want all the HP of the system, then the engine bay is going to get awfully crowded for some of us.

What do you think guys???

Bill

Bill, I have been working for some time on silencer design in my own unscientific way, mainly to achieve two results, firstly to reduce power loss in the system and secondly to achieve DB levels which will allow us onto UK tracks. We have to aim for 105 DB at 3/4 maximum RPM, which is difficult to achieve without losing a lot of power. My experimental systems have been working on several cars very successfully for some time now, and are fully acceptable to meet noise requirements at Goodwood. My principal ideas follow the points in your posting, but in a very different way. I decided that we wanted a straight through system to run high velocity gasses through the silencer as fast as possible, but that a reduction in noise could be gained by some innovative construction. Firstly I decided that to reduce individual pulse noise I needed a large single box, and also needed long collectors, so I made a silencer container that takes the eight header pipes individually into it, effectively making the length of the box the length of the collector. Inside of the front face of the box are two perforated metal cones joining to to two 2.5 inch perforated cental core pipes, around each of these pipes is a series of baffles supporting an outer perforated pipe of 5 inches diameter, this gives an gas expansion area. There are also some secret little inlet tracts between the inner and outer expansion pipes ! Around the outside of the outer perforated pipes is the Basalt mineral wool accoustic material. We also have wrapped the outer (5inch) perforated pipe with woven carbon fibre cloth which acts as a "one way valve" to the expanding gas, reducing the loss by the velocity of the gasses of the very fine fibrous accoustic filler. I have also extended the central perforated pipe as far as possible into the two 3 inch tail pipes to further reduce pulse noise ( remember the old VW Beetle tail pipes ?)All of this is achieved in a single box approximately 16inches long by 7 inches deep. Tests have shown a definate power increase over the standard GTD twin box system, and whilst not being quite "1960s" it do's get us on the tracks with good power bands. Robin Batt is racing his car successfully using this silencer system. Frank

I knew you guys in england would chime in, and I particularly was interested in your design. I'm hoping some of the others who are engineers will give us some sicentific help on this subject. Even though there isn't strict noise enforcement here in the U.S., some tracks are requireing mufflers for diferent classes. If you are interested in getting the most out of your engine, it would be interesting to see the answers for the crossover systems. I don't think I have seen any data on the exhaust systems with regard to effeciency or ineffeciency. These systems were employed a long time ago and I am sure that technology has advanced since. Other than being real cool looking or period correct, I wonder if we can wring out some more HP with a muffled system. The original systems weren't muffled were they. I don't think so but others more knowledgeable than I would know. If they weren't, then we just stuck mufflers on the back and went on. This article kind of show the way we can regain some of that with a little thought. What you have done is the kind of inovative stuff that will help us get what we want and apease the reg makers.

Bill

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Bill,

This is an area where we all can use more understanding, no doubt, but be mindful of some characteristics shown in some of the graphs, but only mentioned in passing. Back pressure ain't all bad! If one takes an honest look at the gear ratios of the drive train and calculates where in the rpm band, in an honest assessment of how the car is to be used, the car will provide the most advantageous use of some more power, one may find that the discussion above is not applicable to him or his car. I don't dispute any of the information, but, time and again, it has been found that the addition of exhaust systems with less back pressure have cost the owner torque in the range where it is most often desired while providing more power in a part of the rpm band seldom if ever used. While it is very useful to understand how exhaust flows and attempts to attenuate noise affect power in every single part of the rpm band, please do keep in mind that the "optimum" in the studies my not be "your optimum." From my own experience, it is easy to get caught up in a "Tim the Toolman, UGHHH, UGHHH" way of thinking :), and end up with a bit of a Frankenstien.

Lynn

PS: Have you done any user searches on Adam Christian's posts? He has posted quite a bit of information in this area as flow was his area of interest in his post-graduate studies.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
The noise situation at tracks is distressing. On my personal race car I approached the situation a little bit differently.

The SCCA has a sound station set up at one place on all the tracks. I equipped my car with an electrical exhaust dump that I can activate with a switch. So, I can have the exhaust go through the Dynomax muffler (which doesn't muffle much) and out the side exit, or, I can activate the switch which dumps the exhaust under the car about 20" back from the collector (4 cylinder Lotus engine) and not out through the muffler and side exit.

The car will pass sound checks during practice if needed by using the muffler, but can be opened up if dyno results warrant. Still have not dynoed the system so it is not yet clear if this gains us anything.

The cutouts are here and are very well made:

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

Ron, can you tie this posting into the one above on type of mufflers ? There are very few people among us who have physically sat down and tried to think this problem out and come up with new designs, this IS a very difficult subject to get your head around and to design and construct an alternative to stock items available, even though some of our experimentation may not always produce improved results, each time we try a new idea we get closer to a solution.

I had written Adam Christain about contributing to the thread as he is a "student" of flow. He wrote back saying that he has left the "learning" end of academics and would try to chime in later. He then directed me to a thread from almost 2 years ago which I had forgotten about,that is the quintacential piece on exhaust, crossover exhaust, intake, carb vs. webers, heads and engine size as far as flow and volumetric efficiency is concerned. It is a bit of information that all should keep for reference. So for those who were not around at that time, or don't remember it, here is the link to it. It covers almost any question you could ask(except for the muffler bit).

http://www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB6&Number=27165&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Bill

Back