Registration Dilemma - No engine serial # on receipt

Joel K

Supporter
Del, Howard, totally agree with you on this topic. To me, Montana is a last resort. NJ lays out the safety requirements very clearly, it’s the emissions requirement gets a little gray for post 1969 engines. The inspector in NJ is very very helpful, it’s just clear if you have a pre1970 block you don’t have to pass emissions, everything else needs to pass emissions for the year the engine represents. A little vague, but I have an approach that the inspector and I believe will work(crate motor, factory ECM with factory flash, and custom harness with all emissions components wired in) and my build will be emissions compliant. So once I get to the go cart stage I’ll check all the ODB2 Rediness flags and Mil light, assuming it allI works I should be in good shape to get my car registered in NJ.

Howard Jones

Supporter
The reason I write this stuff is that the possible down side could be catastrophic. Something like this: a guy builds a kit car, fudges the registration process, get away with it and thinks all is good, then wants to sell the car 10 years later. Now the process in his state is much more refined and much more restrictive. He gets caught and...……….wait for it...……..the old rules he fudged would have been grandfathered if he had just have worked a bit harder and been compliant...……..then...………….BUT NOW 10 years later he's completely fucked himself.

He may be in real trouble for tax evasion for fudging the value question, will at the least owe a lot of penalties, and can't get the car through registration because of the new higher standard. Oh and he'll never sell it like that except in a fire sale condition.

Follow the law. Like cam says it will make the car worth more in a resale.

Club Cobra is a very good source for how to register kit cars nation wide. Lots of kit cobras out there virtually in every state. Some body over there has found the answer to your question.

I’m in Texas. I don’t think they are that bad. With the whole process. But. For smooth sailing. I will do the Montana thing. Then worry about transferring it to Tex’s later. Cali. Does not want you guy to enjoy life. They got there hand out ever step of the way. New York is the same way. That’s why I moved to Texas. I get to keep more of my money. And enjoy life.

Joel K

Supporter
I’m in Texas. I don’t think they are that bad. With the whole process. But. For smooth sailing. I will do the Montana thing. Then worry about transferring it to Tex’s later. Cali. Does not want you guy to enjoy life. They got there hand out ever step of the way. New York is the same way. That’s why I moved to Texas. I get to keep more of my money. And enjoy life.

Mario,

Believe or not, California is one of the best places to register a kit car. They have a law called SB100 which makes it well defined and in my opinion much easier, I wish NJ followed the SB100.

Cam has a nice write up on what it took to pass his SLC in California.

One bonus in Louisiana is that I finally confirmed that emissions aren't a requirement here with a component car. I tried several times to find out several times a year ago because I originally wanted side exit exhaust, but never could find out for sure. I ended up choosing the safe route with cats and no doubt I'll ultimately be happier with them thanks Allan's suggestion on a unique exhaust exit.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Texas's law is similar to California but has a master inspector element that is slightly different. The important thing is the smog exemption. The California law was written in the late 90's I believe to cover not smog compliant kit cars like Cobras. Under it a limited number of cars each year can be legally registered with a non compliance engine and is exempted forever.

I believe California was the first to specifically enact a law to cover home built cars. SEMA came up with a model law after that and I believe Texas's law was a modification of the SEMA model. There are differences however and Texas builder's should be familiar with it before they go down and begin the process.

However as it was written (California SB100) originally the car had to be a first time registration EVER. In other words a fresh completed car. Transfers from other states or other previously registered cars could not apply under that law. Again Texas's has a similar law so you should read up on it and ask around the Cobra guys on this subject. You want to start the process correctly from the beginning. These laws can be difficult to go back and fix a false start.

Everybody seams to get a set of plates in the end so I would not worry about that. It's just a follow the dotted line thing.

By the way Mario I am refugee from the peoples republic of California myself. I suspect I moved to Texas for some of the same reasons as you. I did however register both my GT40 and my SLC in California under SB100 without any real issues with that law.

Last edited:
Howard. Great info thanks. Would love nothing more than a Texas plate on my new slc. Yes I moved out of NY for many reasons , I couldn’t bear the state I grew up in going in the shitter and screwing its residents at every turn. Miss my friends back home. But love the state of Tx. Best move I made. Where about in Tx are you. I’m in Houston

I agree with Howard and like Mario I want a plate in my own state just because.

Mario, you're not far from me. I'm 2hrs away, about 8 miles from the LA/TX border. I plan to make a cars and coffee over there once mine is registered this spring.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Mario, I'm in New Braunfels, 78132. We are only a couple of hours apart. We should get together for a cry in our beer sometime over the loss of our homelands. Thank god there was a place to go. God Bless Texas!!!!!

Can’t wait to see it. I’m in my planing stages. Almost done. Just working out with getting custom lcd gauges made. Traction control and sequential trans axel. Once that is complete. I’ll place my order. And send the car to the master. To be built. Master meaning Allan. He is just amazing on what he can do with the Slc. I plan on having a coffe and rides at my new store when it opens in the fall. I also plan to sponsor Slc events as well. Actually. I want to invite as many Slc owner to the grand opening. Just to take away the attention from the exotics that will be there. Sh

Can’t wait to see it. I’m in my planing stages. Almost done. Just working out with getting custom lcd gauges made. Traction control and sequential trans axel. Once that is complete. I’ll place my order. And send the car to the master. To be built. Master meaning Allan. He is just amazing on what he can do with the Slc. I plan on having a coffe and rides at my new store when it opens in the fall. I also plan to sponsor Slc events as well. Actually. I want to invite as many Slc owner to the grand opening. Just to take away the attention from the exotics that will be there. Sh

Count me and my SLC in for your store's grand opening assuming it's on the road (it better be), I'll make the trip without the SLC if I had to.

Allan is no doubt a master of building the SLC and GT-R! He's also a fantastic guy to work with during the build. His builds and quality are truly a work of art, only regret I have is not calling him sooner. BTW I had about a 6 month wait for an opening to ship him my car, so recommend maybe hitting him up if you haven't already. Took RCR about 7 months from order to delivery to my house of my kit.

Del absolutely. I’ll let you know. As far as Allan we have spoke. And I think we are both excited about the build. I’m going to do things to an slc that not have been done before. That’s why I’m planning it out. As far as recruiting. I have been told his lead times are longer than what you are told. None the less. I can’t wait to get my ass in the drivers seat of one. As far as my grand opening I’ll let all the slc and gt-40 owner know. When. There’s usually 500 people that show up. I’m looking at more. The parking lot holds about 600 cars. And I will section off the best area for the slc and gt-40s

Del absolutely. I’ll let you know. As far as Allan we have spoke. And I think we are both excited about the build. I’m going to do things to an slc that not have been done before. That’s why I’m planning it out. As far as recruiting. I have been told his lead times are longer than what you are told. None the less. I can’t wait to get my ass in the drivers seat of one. As far as my grand opening I’ll let all the slc and gt-40 owner know. When. There’s usually 500 people that show up. I’m looking at more. The parking lot holds about 600 cars. And I will section off the best area for the slc and gt-40s

Awesome, I'm looking forward to meeting other SLC owners. I agree, I can't wait to get behind the wheel to drive one too! Granville allowed me to sit in his not long after he got it, made my day and realized I will need LOTS of practice getting in and out. I was being pretty cautious with his, at least I'll feel more comfortable doing it it in my own. I did learn I probably shouldn't let random people sit in my car, seems pretty easy to scuff stuff attempting to get in and out.

I'm sure Allan's backlog varies depending what stages cars he currently has and who he has in line at the time. The 6 months between deposit and sending him the car went by very quick. Heck even the time he has had my car has gone quickly. This last month of the build will no doubt feel like it'll take forever due to the anticipation of getting it back. I'll be curious to see what stuff you will be doing that hasn't been done before, most of my build was fairly standard other than a few things.

Del. Which slc was yours. That Allan built. I have been in touch with Granville. To see his. He’s an hour away from me. I have never seen one in person.

Del. Which slc was yours. That Allan built. I have been in touch with Granville. To see his. He’s an hour away from me. I have never seen one in person.

He hasn't done any videos of mine, but I do have my fingers crossed he will before it ships. Right now it's white gel coat with satin bronze F14s that definitely don't match in color when I received the car originally. They'll get fixed when it returns.

Back