Removing spider after windshield installed?

Mark B.

Supporter
I think I already know the answer (don't do it) but wanted to see if anyone has done this.

I need to do some additional sealing in the side areas of the body so I'm going to need to pull the spider off. Problem is the windshield is installed and I'm worried I may break it if I remove the spider. Has anyone successfully removed the spider with the windshield installed? Any tips if so? Otherwise, I'll bite the bullet and remove the windshield.
Thanks!

I did see a post here where someone successfully removed and replaced the spider with the windshield installed but unfortunately I can't find it.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Mark,

The answer is yes, you can remove the roof spider molding with the windshield bonded in. You don't need a lifting frame as we made here, however if you prepare a clear space to rest the spider on the floor and support it so there are no new stresses, fiberglass it will not warp nor the windshield crack or debond .

Cheers
Ian

Attachments

• RCR GT40 Rework Cowl Bridge, AC Upgrade, Replumbing and Insulation p132.jpg
    RCR GT40 Rework Cowl Bridge, AC Upgrade, Replumbing and Insulation p132.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 212

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Never fully removed it but I have had the lead edge removed and lifted slightly to get the dash out. It may be ignorance but I never felt I was playing with live explosives.

Fire maybe, but not explosives...

Kyle

Supporter
the gt40 spider is probably significantly easier than the SLC. SLC spider is heavy even without the glass.

Joel K

Supporter
I would touch base with Allan. If I remember correctly he told me he did it once without damaging the windshield.

Mark B.

Supporter
Thanks for the input, everyone! I'm going to give it a try. I'm going to brace the area around the windshield first, though, to be safe.

Back