renault medallion transaxle

I'm new to this transaxle stuff and was wondering if the renault medallion transaxle I have found at a junkyard for 440 dollars, and would like to purchase, is basically the same as a r30/un1/369 axle ?

Hello there. The last Medallion I checked had a NG9 transaxle in it. I've been told it's smaller and weaker. There's a triangular shaped tag hanging off one of the rear casing bolts that has the model # on it. I learned the hard way. I bought an '85 Renault sport wagon and pulled the tranny out to discover it was the wrong one. Good luck, I've heard there may be the odd UN1 in the Medallion. Cheers, Dave

Thanks Dave ! I'll have the junkie check it out before I buy. Anyone else have anyone else have any info on this question?
Regards,
Scott

Pedro

Supporter
As far as I remember all four cylinder Medallion used the NG9 transaxle and all the V6 were automatic and used some type of ZF automatic transaxle; The NG9 was also used on the Renault Fuego and it is too small for any V8 application.

Here is a picture of both side by side, the UN1 is on the left and the NG9 on the right, you can clearly see the difference between the two, The UN1 came from a 1995 Lotus Esprit S4 (300 HP I believe) and the NG9 is out of a Renault Fuego, about 100 HP on the Fuego?

In any case the only difference between the Medallion and the Fuego transaxles was the bell housing otherwise they were the same, they may had different designations, NG6, NG3, etc but all the NG are too small, translation, NG = no good, you will need a 369 or UN1 transaxle.

The only two production cars sold in the US that had these types of transaxles were the Lotus Esprit (UN1) and the Delorean (369). The Delorean was a rear engine car so if you find one you will need to open the box and flip the ring gear. The UN1 on the picture will be going on Ebay soon but to be honest with you a better or perhaps cheaper solution here in North America Is finding a good Audi transaxle. The UN1 is a good choice for Europe or for any GTD owner, as these cars were designed around UN1 and 369 boxes.

Hope this helps

Pedro

Attachments

• UN1.jpg
    UN1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2,281
If you would like to sell the box out right to me without all the e bay hassle, let me know and we will work something out!
Regards,
Scott

Yep. Ive been down that road before too. I have several UN1 boxes in the workshop and decided to check out an NG3 that was in the later Renault 20 cars. It sure is a smaller gearbox, the crownwheel not much bigger than a tea saucer. They do have a 4-spider diff unit, but even that is soo tiny. I think that one planting of the boot with a V8 on it will shred every tooth in 1 fell swoop. Not to mention twisting the shafts like a peice of liquorice.

Now about that UN1 you have there ....... what do you think its worth to you? :)

we tried on a NG3, didn't work out to wel. :)

you can tell a NG1 form a UN1 very quick by counting the bolts on top of the box, the ones which keep the cases together, the UN1 has 8 the NG series had 7. renault rated the UN1 at <350nm and the NG3 and 5 <200nm

I have some very detailed measurements form the Un1 if someone wants those I can post them.

grtz Thomas

Pedro

Supporter
Nope! NG9 five speed on the four cylinder cars and ZF automatic on the v6 auto cars …………as always I could be wrong.

Pedro

Supporter
RamboLambo said:
Now about that UN1 you have there ....... what do you think its worth to you? :)

No idea what it is worth today, I paid a little over one thousand dollars about three years ago plus shipping to me from Texas, I will not to take less than $1200 for it but it is already promised. This one is a UN1-26, I believe the UN1-28 was the last one made; My Lotus Esprit manual indicates that these cases were made specifically by Renault for Lotus and that the castings (ribs) are thicker making the box stronger than the regular UN1 used on other cars, of course this could be all (BS) but I had a 369 from a Delorean before and the Lotus looks much a heavier casting.

I see there is some discussion over Audi transaxle`s. I have the car manual`s for both the Audi 100 / 200 and the Audi 80 if thats helpful. I am at present buildng a Mclaren M8B replica fitted with the 016 gearbox mated to a Rover / Buick V8.

If interested in a UN1 out of a Lotus Esprit, I have a line on one from my painter. He did a lot of work on lotus and other top of the line fiberglass cars. One he took in he advised the half shaft had some damage and they sent him a new trans and never asked for the old one back. It has been siting in the shop collecting dust ever since. He asked me back when my car was being painted if I knew anyone who might want to purchase it. If any have an interest email me and I will check it out again. I have his TIG welder, which I have to return shortly. My welding is almost finished.

Bill

I have spent many days on the phone to scrappers and yards, some even list it as being a UN1, but when you show up they all turn out to be NG series. It sounds in my experience like the Un1 rumor of being available in the V6 version of the medallion in untrue.

Hi Ryan,
Google "DeLorean Parts", I think there is a business in Texas that bought all of the DeLorean stock when they went out of business, and will sell new UN1's to you all day long. From what I understand you will have to open the box and "flip" the ring gear and carrier though, as the axle was in front of the engine in that application. I am by no means an expert on this, but at this site you will find them to help you out. Good luck.
Regards,
Scott

Back