Roaring Forties #36 Joe's Completion Log

Re: Roaring Forties #36 - Mark Worthington\'s GT40

Finally, an update. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's how it sits right now. Lamp covers are on and protected with clear tape. In the process of fitting nostril covers.

GT40%20Dec%202005_15.JPG

Interior shot with steering column, hydraulics, shifter and coolant pipes fitted. I had to move the pedal assembly to the left because I had installed it as far to the right as I could to minimize offset leg driving position, but had trouble getting the pushrods to line up properly. Now I have 6 extra holes in the floorplate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

GT40%20Dec%202005_10.JPG

Radiator area showing brake and clutch master cylinders, plumbing, coolant pipes, sway bar, and steering rack.

GT40%20Dec%202005_12.JPG

The other side. You can also see where I've removed the Mk II snorkels and sanded them down and filled flat. We'll see how flat it is when I get it primed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GT40%20Dec%202005_17.JPG

John B

Temp Selling Pass

MARK,

What transaxle are you going to use? Your shifter looks looks to be a different setup for the Audi.

Oliver

Oliver, I have an Audi 016, fitted with a Quaife LSD and a 3.89 final drive, that I got with the car. The shift linkage installed thus far is set up for that box. I also have an low-mileage 01E 6-speed that I bought from a guy in Germany. Ultimately, I intend to use the 6-speed. However, I may build the car with the 5-speed and save the transaxle upgrade for later. One of the things that has been slowing my build is my tendency to become distracted with "upgrades" along the way. I've decided that I'll build the car with what I have now and save the upgrades for winter projects I can do after I get the car on the road. Upgrades will include better brakes with a triple-master-cylinder setup, a rear anti-roll bar, transaxle and engine oil coolers, in-car video, etc. I've asked Hershal and RF to get me the information for what I'll need to upgrade to the 6-speed transaxle.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company

Great work Mark.

Best wishes for the New Year,

Robert

Here's the header tank which my brother and I fit and plumbed back in November.

Header%20tank.jpg

And here's tonight's progress: the steering knuckle was binding a little bit - you can see where I marked it where the parts were binding...

Steering%20knuckle%20before.JPG

So I removed the steering column and dressed up the steering knuckle with a file and a die grinder. Works fine now.

Steering%20knuckle%20after.JPG

I got the fans mounted to the radiator, and the radiator mounted to the chassis and plumbed in. I need some foam for the interior of the brackets.

GT40%20Jan%202006_01.jpg

GT40%20Jan%202006_02.jpg

My daughter Jackie (11) and I spent about an hour today completing the plumbing of the bleed line back to the header tank. I ran it in the left wheel well and along the left tank as the RF manual shows.

GT40%20Jan%202006_03.jpg

While Jackie and I were plumbing that line and test fitting the fuel tank, my son John (14) was finishing up the installation of the Dzus fasteners for the twin-vent nostril:

GT40%20Jan%202006_08.JPG

I also have a single-vent nostril for my car. You can see how much more radiator airflow it allows. It supposedly has better aerodynamics as well. I can't fit the single-vent nostril until I get four more Dzus fasteners, which I've ordered from RF in Australia.

GT40%20Jan%202006_06.jpg

Here's the twin-vent nostril fitted up. It's a tad high in th emiddle so I'm going to use a couple CF dowels to keep the front middle located and avoid letting it flap around in the wind.

GT40%20Jan%202006_10.jpg

Looking more like a car! I put the sill covers on for this photo but I'll take them back off again tomorrow as I start in on the fuel system.

GT40%20Jan%202006_11.jpg

That's a great job the Worthington team is doing ! Looks real nice Mark.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company

Mark,

The 4 spare Dzus fasteners will be in the post tommorow.

Again great work,

Best wishes,

Robert

Back