Roll Bar Fire Extinguisher By "Sandy Ganz"

Roll Bar Fire Extinguisher by Sandy Ganz

Go to Sandy's Website for contact info Home of GTSparkPlugs.com

09.jpg

This page is for a project to build your own Roll Bar mount fire extinguisher mount. Simple parts, low cost, and all that stuff. The photo below is the first version I made mounted in the Sunbeam Tiger on the roll bar. I need to
move it down a few inches to make sure it never gets in the way of the seat.

This is a simple project for something that has minimal fire safety for track days. I will eventually add a Safecraft installed Halon fire suppression system. The bracket design was from something that I saw on the web for Porsche cars from Brey-Krause Performance. Looked like it was really simple to make and it was. Loads cheaper, with some parts from McMaster-Carr. Also can be made for any sized roll bar. Again nothing magical, and no need to spend $$$$ on it. The fire extinguisher is a Halotron and purchased from McMaster-Carr as well. This is a bit larger than the small ones that are often used. You will need to order 2 of the brackets to make a double strap bracket. The included bracket is not usable, and the bracket on the head of the extinguisher must be removed. If you go with the dry chemical version of the extinguisher you will only need one bracket as the one that comes with it is the same as the spare. Part numbers for McMaster-Carr parts are below.

Complete.jpg

Top View, note you have to pull a strap off another bracket and pop-rivet it on. Add some foam tape to cover it up.

Top.jpg

Side.jpg

Bottom view of the bracket and the pipe clamps. Bracket is about 3.5" wide by about 10.5" long by 3/16" (0.1875") Thick 6061-T6511 aluminum, which was cut out of a 4" wide strip with my Miller Plasma Cutter. If you can use a pencil you can use a plasma cutter! Clean up with belt sander. Note the bracket could be a bit shorter if needed. Use your extinguisher bracket as a guide. Or if using the Brey-Krause Quick release Extinguisher bracket very
short.

Bottom.jpg

Halotron - Left
Dry Chem – Right

00.jpg

End View of the bracket. Note you can get it for most any sized pipe depending on your roll bar. I have an Autopower Roll Bar that is 1-3/4" diameter pipe. They also come with a zinc plated plate that is not shown. It can be used to replace the bottom plate (Has built in threads) which is made of black oxide steel. In any case you will likely need longer bolts. I'm going to use the Zinc plated non-threaded plate with lock nuts. The size of the bolts for that will be 3-1/4"

End.jpg

Some added shots of a second mount. This one was for the Mustang (The Ripper). I made it a couple of inches shorter after taking my own advice. Shown below is the Dry Chemical extinguisher mounted, but I have a Halotron that will replace it. One thing that I forgot to mention is check the center bolts that mount the extinguisher bracket (Red one) to the top plate. These can hit the roll bar if not trimmed.

95.jpg

94.jpg

The last bit of work is for the Halotron extinguisher which has a hook type of mount that must be removed to be able to use the standard bracket. This is not hard, clamp it into a vice and twist it off. It mars up the nice anodized head a bit, but not much you can do.

98.jpg

99.jpg

McMaster-Carr Part Numbers

P/N 3015T31
Description : Std Duty Single Line Damping Vibration Clamp Weld-Mount, Zinc-Plated Steel, for 1-3/4" Tube OD
About $4.50 Each, 2 required

P/N 6487T9
Vehicle Mount Bracket for 3-11/32" Dia Cylinder Class ABC Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher
About $5 Each (2 Required for Halotron, 1 for ABC Dry Chemical)

You can use either the Halotron or Dry Chemical ABC types. These are 2.5lb units and a tick larger then most. The
Halotron is a bit shorter than the Dry Chemical version, but more money.

P/N 37015T31
Class Bc Halotron Extinguisher 2-B:C UL Rating, 2-1/2 lb Capacity, Wall Bracket (Buckyeye)
About $85 Each

P/N 6487T72
Class ABC Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher 1-A:10-B:C UL Rating, 2-1/2 lb Cap, Vehicle Bracket (Buckeye)
In stock at $27.10 Each

Misc. Stuff
Piece of metal about 8" to 10.5"L x 3.5"W x 0.1875" Thick. I used 6061-T6511 which is the cheaper T6 as I
understand it. Nuts, Bolts and washers as mentioned. I used stainless button heads for red mount to the top plate
with Nylok's on most everything.

Last edited:
Back