Ronnie Spain's Book

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Merry Christmas to you Ronnie...

I am a very patient man and the additional wait is not a problem and sounds to be WELL worth it!!!

Thank you!!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
WOW, WOW,

Two volumes, it just keeps getting better, better!

So Ronnie, will you have to sign both copies? I see a double case of writers cramp in your future.

I can't wait, but I gladly will.......

Ronnie, a very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

I have not managed to get you the book in time for Christmas,

Many distraught WAGs will now have to hurriedly rethink the gift they get their other halves !

I'm sure they will be greatly consoled that when the time comes it will be an even bigger better present !!!!

Ronnie, that sounds fantastic! My appetite has officially been whetted, very much looking forward to it now.

2 Volumes, hope my wife doesn't want to talk to me for 6 months!

Dear Mr Spain,

I would LOVE a signed copy of your book too, IF i can AFFORD it. Any price range in mind???

Another thing: I'm a newbee to the 40's world. I know you are considered as the 40's Pope.
While you are type taping, I'd must confess that I would also love to learn a bit more about yourself.
How this dedication / passion for the 40's happened, the reason that made that you dedicated a large part of your time searching all these informations...
I may be the only one wanting to read that, maybe not, and I really think it's a part of the story which your book would miss...

Regards

Olivier.

This sounds yet another super effort, Ronnie.
I'll PM you my address etc. whenever your ready.
Put your feet up & enjoy Christmas !
All the best, Steve.

Hi Ron,

I plan to pick up my GTD40 just after Christmas and will be crossing the UK. Any chance I could pick up a copy?

John

Hi everyone,

Belated catch up time, and it's been a while, so, complete with quotes, it's a long posting.

Ronnie, somehow I started this thread:eek: all I can say is I cant wait, enjoy the holiday season....will pm my adress and all if thats okay.
Thanks again......GTJOEY1314

Ah yes.......I'd forgotten this was all your fault!! Joking, of course. Thanks for doing so. It's been great to have direct requests come in this way, and nice to be able to communicate via the thread with so many forum members.

I sent you an email thru this sight with all of my details. Just thought I ought to confirm it on sight like everyone else is doing. Can't wait to see your latest effort.

Bud, I don't seem to have had a PM from you. Send one again, and I'll PM you back to confirm receipt.

I am still convince that the rarest copy of Ronnies new book will be unsigned!!!!
Regards Allan

Shhh. That's what I'm holding out for.....

Allan and Alan, don't think that's going to happen, despite the requests via this thread. But thinking of limited editions, back in 1994 my mother's car was stolen, then burned out. Once the insurance payout was here I went with her when she looked for another car to replace it. She settled on a Vauxhall Nova with a limited edition name I'd never heard of before (and can't remember now). I commented to the salesman that probably the model built in most limited numbers would be a non-limited edition straightforward Nova. When we went back over when the car was ready the same salesman dealt with us. He reminded me of my conversation about limited editions and said he had checked up. There were 80 combinations of limited edition Nova available. So he agreed I may have had a point, especially when the number the year before had been 131! Personally, I plan to limit the different editions of the new book to considerbly fewer. Although I have one special idea that I'll tell you all all about early in the new year which may change that somewhat! A teaser for you there to have you pondering over Christmas!

WOW, WOW,

Two volumes, it just keeps getting better, better!

So Ronnie, will you have to sign both copies? I see a double case of writers cramp in your future.

Jim, thanks (to you and to the other posters) for being OK (and in your case, enthusiastic!) about the fact that the book unavoidably will have to be in two volumes. But, Jim, you came up with something I hadn't thought of. Do I sign both volumes?? Anybody with a signed twin volume book on your shelving, please let me know. That had simply never occurred to me.

Dear Mr Spain,

I would LOVE a signed copy of your book too, IF i can AFFORD it. Any price range in mind???

Another thing: I'm a newbee to the 40's world. I know you are considered as the 40's Pope.
While you are type taping, I'd must confess that I would also love to learn a bit more about yourself.
How this dedication / passion for the 40's happened, the reason that made that you dedicated a large part of your time searching all these informations...
I may be the only one wanting to read that, maybe not, and I really think it's a part of the story which your book would miss...

Regards

Olivier.

Olivier, two things to answer for you from your posting. First, the price of the book. I'm going to concentrate on finishing it, and will worry about balancing the price right when the time comes. But I think you have voiced the fears possibly of many, that since it is going to have to be a two volume book, it will automatically price up in the stratosphere. That won't happen! The two volume format is only going to happen because it is unavoidable. I have no desire to price any enthusiast out of being able to get the book many have been waiting a long, long time to see. Secondly, how I got involved in all this and got to where I am is almost worthy of a book in itself, so many coincidences were involved, without any one of which I could have carried on leading a normal life, with the Ford GT40 simply being a car I liked the look of. Fortunately for the GT40, but often unfortunately for me, the non-normal life-route is the one I followed, as the GT40 was in a real mess before I got involved, but I reckon it is now clearly one of the best documented, best regulated, most warrantable, authentifiable historic cars of all. I am proud to have played my part in that. I sometimes think it would have been nice to have a normal life. But then I find an amazing photo of a GT40 I've never seen before and I'm back in full GT40 mode again.

If a few of you think you could handle the tedium of reading about how I got to where I am, I'll post something here over the holidays. If not then I'll PM something to you, Olivier.

This sounds yet another super effort, Ronnie.
I'll PM you my address etc. whenever your ready.
Put your feet up & enjoy Christmas !
All the best, Steve.

Stephen, putting feet up and enjoying Christmas is for other people. I'll be at the keyboard here as usual. It'll either be that or watch Christmas TV, and from recent years experience.........! I'll stick on some favourite DVDs and type away.

And finally,

Hi Ron,

I plan to pick up my GTD40 just after Christmas and will be crossing the UK. Any chance I could pick up a copy?

John

Good to hear your news about your GTD40, but though your car may be ready, but the book sadly isn't!

And I think I've caught up with everything now.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Watch some Christmas TV for me.

Ronnie

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ronnie Spain said:
If a few of you think you could handle the tedium of reading about how I got to where I am, I'll post something here over the holidays.

Ronnie

I would absolutely LOVE to read that story...

As smitten as I am with the GT40, I would have burned out ages ago trying to tie up all the loose ends and unravel the knots you have....

I would absolutely LOVE to read that story...

As smitten as I am with the GT40, I would have burned out ages ago trying to tie up all the loose ends and unravel the knots you have....

Right then Ronnie, that's a new thread for the New Year then (no doubt after "the book" is completed). But don't leave it too long..... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hear Hear, I reckon the majority of users would be keen on reading your story Ronnie. Without you I doubt many of us would be in so deep or know what we do, we owe you a lot of gratitude. Thank you.

Chris

Another thread said that Ronnies books were delayed until the Goodwood Revival in September. It also said that it would be in two volumes.
Regards Allan

Mr. Spain

My wife is a writer/publisher and I definately understand the time it takes to get a book to the public. I'm not surprised at all the time it has taken for you to get the book out. But, as my RCR40 was delivered yesterday, I'm as anxious as anybody!

Thank so much for the work you do and the honest clarity that you bring to this passion we all share.

Tom

I have been involved with the Superformance GT40 since they were on the drawing board. Ronnie's first book has been a great reference which I use often. I am looking forward to the next one.

I have developed a rather accuate performance simulator which I have been using for years. I used the Specifications data in Chapter 11 to develop performance and fuel economy data for the various models of the GT40's. The simulations track well with the relatively rare road test data for these cars.

I just found this topic. Has anyone any news of the release of this book? It seems that Ronnie has not posted any message on the forum since several months. I red somewhere that Ronnie has been to the Goodwood Festival, perhaps some news have arised there?
I bought a few years ago the first edition which is so informative. The new one would compile much more information. I really look forward to see it.

Ronnie, if you come across this message, please note a signed copy of the book for me also. Thanks a lot.

Back