RUSH the MOVIE

I saw RUSH over the weekend and wanted to give my .02. If I had to summurize the movie in a word I'd use "ENTERTAINING." I was entertained throughout the entire film and felt Mr. Howard did a pretty damn good job of intertwining racing footage with the overall theme of the movie that being; the storied rivalry between the two main characters, Messers Hunt and Lauda. I was happy to see it was not a repeat of the absolutely horrendous movie "DRIVEN" which I walked out of after 20 minutes. IMO Howard did a fine job of developing the characters and not in an insulting manner. The film depicted the "racing scene" to some degree and I don't feel he took too many Hollywood liberty's but then again I wasn't there during those times although I did keep up with F1 in those days but never ventured to the races. (couldn't afford it!) I'd certainly recommend the film to friends and I might even see it again. I saw it at its last viewing time here locally with the film starting at 10:30 pm and the cinema where it was playing allowed two screening rooms so they expected decent crowds. The theater I was in for the late show was probably 1/3 full which ain't bad in this town given the time of the show.

There are some graphic scenes with Lauda's recovery that can make one cringe but overall I felt it was money well spent. I'm left with a saddened thought of James Hunt and his tragic death at such a young age as he was a real character both on and off the track. Enjoy.

I'll give it 6.5 pistons out of 8!

I saw it over the weekend as well and enjoyed it. Best love story I have seen in awhile. Hunt and Lauda insult each other for almost the whole movie but in the end they turn out to be quite the pair. I thought they were going to run off together.

Highly recommend...... lots of vintage open wheelers and some real footage mixed in of the tracks and races! Ending at Fuji in the rain was great.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I remember reading in Road and Track for that season and it seems pretty accurate. I do find the movie up there with Grand Prix and Le Mans, definitively not a "Driven" Dan Bruhl did a hell of job as well as Helmsworth.
Being a Lauda fan all my life, they portrayed Niki like a confident robot as he was. To me he was and has been the best driver ever. The action scenes were okay but to see those cars again makes me ache for cars like those again, not like the F1 of today. I certainly don't miss the horrible circuits they drove then.

I want to go see it again, definitely.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I saw it over the weekend as well and enjoyed it. Best love story I have seen in awhile. Hunt and Lauda insult each other for almost the whole movie but in the end they turn out to be quite the pair. I thought they were going to run off together.

Highly recommend...... lots of vintage open wheelers and some real footage mixed in of the tracks and races! Ending at Fuji in the rain was great.

'Couldn't agree more, sir. As I said earlier above, wifey and I DID see this movie tonight...and anyone who tells you it's 'sub-par' on any level is nuts.

I especially enjoyed the scene where Hunt 'preformed a sensitivity adjustment' on that JACKASS reporter 'in the loo' as the Brits would say!

I highly recommend it all the way 'round - even for NON car guys/GALS.

I was speaking with Chris McAllister about this movie a few weeks ago. Chris owns GT40 P/1051, but more significantly here, he owns the original 1976 Niki Lauda F1 Ferrari (or rather, one of the cars used during that season, as of course the Nurburging car was destroyed in the crash).

I asked him if his car was used for the filming, and he said the film company approached him, but he, as well as all the other owners of these particular cars, would not or could not give them up for the filming. In his case, he would have had to take 2-3 months off to live in Europe and drive the car. As appealing as it sounds, he has to work! There's another one living in storage inside The Candy Store in San Bruno; that car is fully restored but it never turns a wheel under power.

So I asked him what the filmmakers did? He said they got earlier (i.e. 1975) cars and/or later cars from European owners, and then equipped them with dummy bodywork to mimic the 1976 season cars. He said for a few scenes (crashes etc.) they rigged up cheap non-original open-wheel chassis with expendable bodywork, so no 'real' cars were harmed during the filming.

Watched the film last night with my wife.

Loved it. Quite spooky how Daniel Brühl incarnates the young Lauda so accurately.

My wife and I saw the movie this evening. She's not a car-person, but she thought it was awesome. I liked it, except for the excessive foreshadowing (flames) before the Nurburging race.

I thought the after fire racing, especially at Fuji really drove home what it take to BE these guys. I thought the movie during this stage really transported you into what it takes to compete and FOCUS under horrible conditions. Best effort I have seen yet in putting a 'normal' (theater going) person in a racing car and even remotely getting them to understand the intesity of what it takes to do what they do.

Oh and one of my favorite parts is when the two guys ask Lauda to drive thier POS street car! CLASSIC IRONY

Last edited:
"Lauda", please...

Attachments

• snoopy_Lauda.jpg
    snoopy_Lauda.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 595
I saw the movie on the 4th. My wife knows F1, the last 15 years or so. We both enjoyed the movie. I thought the movie had parts that didn't flow so well in the story. Maybe because we know the story. She recognized some of the historical footage of shots they used from the Nuremberg-ring. I read they only used one track and changed the scenery and costumes. She did ask why does that car have six wheels? I think the NASCAR people can gain a greater appreciation of F1 if they will go.
This is one that I will buy and keep to play in the garage when I work...I can turn up the volume and not upset the dogs there or my wife.
Now if someone will make the movie "Racing in the Rain" from the book by Garth Stein with Patrick Dempsey as the lead actor. A sure hit.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Went to see it last night. Ron Howard has done an excellent job.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I saw the movie on the 4th. My wife knows F1, the last 15 years or so. We both enjoyed the movie. I thought the movie had parts that didn't flow so well in the story. Maybe because we know the story. She recognized some of the historical footage of shots they used from the Nuremberg-ring. I read they only used one track and changed the scenery and costumes. She did ask why does that car have six wheels? I think the NASCAR people can gain a greater appreciation of F1 if they will go.
This is one that I will buy and keep to play in the garage when I work...I can turn up the volume and not upset the dogs there or my wife.
Now if someone will make the movie "Racing in the Rain" from the book by Garth Stein with Patrick Dempsey as the lead actor. A sure hit.

Agreed, a terrific read. Seeing the movie tonight.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Enjoyed the film, I think Howard did a great job depicting the characters. Especially Lord Hesketh.
Very prophetic at the end Hunt to Lauda " don't get too professional it will spoil the sport".

Steve

Supporter

Ahh, "The Art of Racing in the Rain". Great book. The lead actor is probably the labrador so I'm thinking Dempsey would take a pass.....

Back