Safir GT40 Mark I

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Mark, thank you. I am glad to hear that. I wouldn't know him if he walked in the room...but he came well recommended by AFR. Evidently he has a good name up in your neck of the woods as well. He has already mentioned that there is a Ford performance magazine that wants to do a feature on the car. If that occurs, I will be delighted as will the Safir folks, for the publicity.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
For all of you sitting on the edge of your seats out there...my GT40 chassis is "feet wet" out over the Atlantic someplace, due into Chicago tonight and Ohio by week's end, with a little luck. I will try to get some photos put up as soon as we have something.

MWGT40

Supporter
Jim,

Looking to see the pictures of the finished article (or at least the monocoque anyhow!)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Martin

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This would be hilarious if it weren't so infuriating; the crate containing the chassis & bits arrived in the USA w/o problems, cleared through customs without problems....and is now waiting for the trucking company to figure out how to get it off the truck and into Brady's garage once it gets to Ohio. This odyssey began in NZ and has continued through UK and now here. I told them it better not get damaged in the last thirty feet of its' journey; I don't want it to collide with something before it even becomes a car. Wish me luck, you guys, I've seldom been this frustrated.

Jim, you may have to rent a fork lift and have it there waiting for the truck or gather up a lot of people, pizza, & beer. Good luck!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Bill, you are probably right. As a matter of fact, I am so fed up with the truckers that I am going to have a beer right now on general principle. Hopefully, the crate will be delivered and out of the hands of the trucking company tomorrow. No doubt there are good explanations for all this, but right now neither myself nor anyone else involved in this are in much of a mood to listen to them.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
As far as what Safir cars cost, there is really no clear answer to that as far as I know. Bob Wood could tell you much better than I. Each one is really an individual, the production volumes are not huge. Mine, for example, is a Safir car built on a Mark I chassis, which is not the same as the Mark V chassis, which in turn required that much of the suspension be made for this specific car. Bearing all that in mind, I think it is the most expensive way to acquire a GT40 leaving aside restoring an original car or buying one. But, to me, it is the best compromise which includes originality and is still a new vehicle. (never mind the 1968 engine) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was fortunate, I picked mine up at air cargo at the airport. There they had a large forklift with long forks. Even then they brought ober a second forklift to help get it onto the trailer. Good luck!!!!!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, it's here and all in one piece. Evidently the photo files are too large to post. I'll figure out some way around that. Anyway, we're in business and now the hard part begins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't wait to see it!

Try reducing your pictures to 4x6, that seems to work well for hi-res pics. Lower res can be a bit bigger. So now you can post them, right?

Hi Jim

pleased to hear it got there in one piece, as you said 'now the hard work begins'.
I look forward to seeing her after she is finished.
Have you thought of a colour scheme yet?

Regards
Chris

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I am supposed to get the photos in smaller format, and will post them when I do. Colors: opalescent maroon (I didn't make the name up) and the sill stripe in off-white. No top stripes. Interior will be a dark gray metallic on the painted parts and dark gray or black cloth. Actually, I am thinking about using Ultrasuede for the seats- it grips a lot better than ballistic nylon, and it can be washed. It also wears better than leather, which scuffs. A lot of boat interiors are done using Ultrasuede or materials like it. It's also a lot less expensive than leather, and no one feels bad when an Ultra dies.

Jim, I think you have your statement about "now the hard work begins" incorrect. I think you ment "now the FUN begins" congradulation, we will drink a cold one for you
Bob

Back