Scotts build thread

Had to pick up a bunch of clay for what is going to happen on the rear. The gf was having a bad day, and Christmas is her favorite holiday (she has already been decorating the house!), so figured I'd whip up a little something to brighten her day. Lol

HA! The man is truly an ar-tist! Reminds me of something I did with Gumby and Pokey back in my college days...... carry on.:thinking:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I am now very anxiously awaiting the arrival of spring and a FLIGHT down there so I can put eyeballs on that beast! :stunned:

Good G-R-I-E-F!

Now what to do with wheel well venting. The original style doesn't really match the new look. Half tempted to just leave them open. :)

Perhaps rotate the basic headlamp-triangle 180 degrees as a replacement opening -- might balance out nicely?

I am now very anxiously awaiting the arrival of spring and a FLIGHT down there so I can put eyeballs on that beast! :stunned:

Good G-R-I-E-F!

Come on down. I've had about 1.5 weeks off so far, hence lots getting done lately. 2 more weeks off then back on for a few weeks, then off until the new year. Trying feverishly to get the body work done by January.
Then it is dangerously close to pulling all apart and final assembling everything.

Perhaps rotate the basic headlamp-triangle 180 degrees as a replacement opening -- might balance out nicely?

I came up with this little thing, seeing if it grows on me. It will only have about 35% of the exit area from the original ones, but, we also have a pretty big opening at the rear of the front tire to pull out pressure too.

Got most of the small front wings made today. They are curved on bottom, and flat on top, so they are shaped like a little up side down wing. Will mount them pretty high, I think it breaks the nose up abit up high as compared to low.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What transaxle is in the car? I've quickly scanned thru your blog and didn't see it mentioned anywhere...and I can't tell from the bits and pieces of it that are visible in the photos. :undecided:

Vents above wheels need to be as massive as possible...they make a MASSIVE a difference to downforce and relieving pressure in the wheel wells...one of the largest aero and drag contributors on any race car..no ifs ands or buts....bigger is not only better but BEST....regardless of the vents behind the wheels ...as I have said multiple times we have copious amounts of REAL aero data on the SLC....seat of the pants is just not good enough at the level of performance the SLC has.

What transaxle is in the car? I've quickly scanned thru your blog and didn't see it mentioned anywhere...and I can't tell from the bits and pieces of it that are visible in the photos. :undecided:

I have the g50/01 transaxle with lsd. I am going to upgrade to the graziano at some point before it is called done. So at some point, I will be posting the trans, clutch, adapter, shifter and cables up for sale.
Unless someone wanted to make an offer on them now.

Vents above wheels need to be as massive as possible...they make a MASSIVE a difference to downforce and relieving pressure in the wheel wells...one of the largest aero and drag contributors on any race car..no ifs ands or buts....bigger is not only better but BEST....regardless of the vents behind the wheels ...as I have said multiple times we have copious amounts of REAL aero data on the SLC....seat of the pants is just not good enough at the level of performance the SLC has.

I had to of spent 8 hours online and Gran Turismo 6 for hours (i know it sounds stupid, but you can really inspect every ounce of these top race cars in pics) and was not really seeing a consistent useage of them. Was getting a little confusing as to an actual formula for them.
I do agree though, so open it is! Hahaa. Looking down on the tire is pretty bad ass. :thumbsup:

I noticed on the green car you guys had cut out the inboard portion of the fender also. I may incorporate something there too. Relieving pressure is easy with a few openings, but it is hard to get a calculation of the volume of air needing to escape to gauge size of openings.

Have a look at EVERY current LMP1 car....great huge gaping holes above front and rear wheels...surely that's more telling than a video game..

True. The video game just allows you to chose 360degree shots of the cars unlike a off angle single view of pics found online.

I will get something figured out for it. Maybe a combo of upper fender and inner fender too. Or incorporate gills around edge. Will keep plugging away.
Any an all advice is appreciated.

Fran,

Wasn't the fender treatment (ie, big cut-outs) mandated?

If I recall, too many cars were getting airborne and this was one of the rules changes.

Correct ...the rear fin is also to prevent cars from slip/yaw flipping over sideways....
Pressure/aero is very serious and not to be trifled with .....not easy to recover once a car starts to wheelie....

I'm trying to wrap my head around where the pressure is actually being built from. Brake duct air? Return up of splitter speeding air up right infront of tire? Effects of tire spinning? Other than that, it would appear to me as a low pressure area.
I was watching some off road racing a couple days ago and was watching the trophy trucks powering through the silt at high speed and you could clearly see (dusty) air escaping from top of tire centerline and back at top of wheel well. But, obviously tons more air can be introduced due to ride height on one of those.
I cannot seem to find any full explanations of it's creation or modeling of it.

Back