Seriously Impressive Weaponry

Keith

An amazing bit of Star Wars tech, 30kw laser weapon demonstrated here. But, I have a question. My understanding is that a 'laser' beam is coherent light, therefore, should you not actually see it? Perhaps you would at night?

Do you reckon this is pulsed or steady?

I have had considerable experience with entertainment lasers of up to 20watts and they were enough to light a cigarette with so Lord only knows the destructive power of this MF! It would also take power of a very high order to create the beam and on-board ship, this either must represent a major breakthrough in laser design, or the ship is possibly nuclear powered.

Video: US Navy tests $40 million laser weapon in Persian Gulf - Telegraph

Finally, do you REALLY have a ship called USS Ponce?

What were you guys thinking? It's a very very rude and derogatory word here..:lipsrsealed:

If she ever sailed into a British port, there would be much merriment.

What's the origin of the name?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
It is also airborne as well. Although I am sworn to secrecy, there is a Boeing 767 at Renton, and other select airfields as well, with a track on the roof and what looks like a garden shed at either end if the track. It has uprated generators, a sensor suite in the main cabin about one third of the way down the cabin and various racks of equipment for the laser system control. Apparently there have been a few control issues and the rudder authority was changed by fitting a larger vertical stabiliser.
Some of you around the Seattle area may have seen it already.
More than that I cannot tell you. Well I could but I won't.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
An amazing bit of Star Wars tech, 30kw laser weapon demonstrated here. But, I have a question. My understanding is that a 'laser' beam is coherent light, therefore, should you not actually see it? Perhaps you would at night?

Do you reckon this is pulsed or steady?

Nice. I guess it depends on the frequency and any dust or moisture in the air as far as tracking it back to the source. I wonder if it is focused well enough to light up some old trash on the moon?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Coherent in terms of light means that that all the light waves are in phase rather than the random mix you get from from most ordinary light sources. This is as a result of the way that the light is amplified in the laser. As they are still light waves they can be "seen" in the same way any other type. You can only see light when in enters your eye directly or by being bounced off some object. This is why you don't see most of the light from the laser as it just keeps on going where it was directed unless you are foolish or unlucky enough to point it at your eye! The light from even a low power laser is so bright that it will damage the retina in the same way as looking directly at the sun. Many of the lasers now being sold are above the legal power level and even more dangerous in the hands of idiots. The danger to pilots is a real concern. The police helicopters in particular have been targeted by scrotes. They obviously did not realise that their house was easily identified and marked down for a friendly visit!
Cheers
Mike
klaatu barada nikto

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Come on now Dave. YAL-1 isn't exactly a secret... There is that other one though. Perhaps that's what you are referring to.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Neal,
The YAL is now a Christmas tree donating spare parts to every other project. I believe it has no flaps now and its possible that the engines might be replaced with concrete blocks....... However there is another project in the skies.

Back